Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2021, 09:30 AM

454 posts, read 198,468 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
I said it's something to be aware of. That is all.
Some might be annoyed by you but I see you as our Public Service Announcer.

I am easy going and try to see the best in everyone so I appreciate it and it is kind of fun. However BeerGreek, I do want to see you do well in your investments. I see that you do trade a little in other posts and it looks like you do ok. But keep in mind, it’s easy to get irrational when you see things going against what you think should be logical. Don’t let that type of feeling impact what you should do. I maybe way off base here in my assessment so please forgive me. Perhaps I am a little like that too but I decided to change and ignore my first instincts. I try to do more what I don’t used to do. I take more risk and try to see risk like other much more successful investors. The music is on now in the markets including bitcoin, we have to dance. Don’t be that shy boy in the high school dance party. I was one of them. Of course when the music stops then we need to rethink. But I don’t think we are there yet. We will never know for sure but let’s dance. Thanks for your posts, I do appreciate them but don’t ignore opposing views on CD here. Some of them are really sound even though they are opposite of yours. Good luck investing BeerGreek! And have fun at it of course!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2021, 03:42 PM

5,152 posts, read 3,760,274 times
As much as I would like to see Bitcoin head up from here I think we need to see below 30K before we make new highs. Don't want to see a blow off top higher than 42K shortly. Sideways down is better now.

Old 01-13-2021, 04:41 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,587,222 times
For those bashing beergeek on this come on. It’s a huge problem for crypto, store online and be subjected to potential theft or store offline and if encrypted like this guy did it could be a problem. I’m not sure anyone in this thread has lost 200MM so take a step back from the bashing because the original criticism is valid

Old 01-13-2021, 06:27 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Losing $20 because of a "lost password" is just as careless as $20MM or $200MM, as far as I'm concerned. Jeez...

Not sure what planet half these people live on. No, you don't keep passwords in a "notebook" or scribbled on a desk tab ala "WarGames (1983)." You used rotating algorithms that make sense only to you, connected to some sort of objective time key, that can't be stolen or lost unless you're a complete and absolute imbecile. My dad who passed at 81 a decade ago wrote all that **** on a "Rolodex", first and last time I'd seen such a thing. Let's move up to second decade of the 21st Century.

Just looked: I have 462 active accounts from social to financial to everything in between. There is a crystal clear (to me) system to recursively control all of that behind AES/Rejndeal encryption. What, I'm going to entrust my entire financial (if nothing else) existence on writing a "password" in a paper notebook? Can't be cracked, can't be socially engineering, the Da Vinci Code for all that is with my lawyer and no one else should I meet an untimely end.

Seriously stupid, end of story. I'm not a coder, not in cybersecurity (directly). But I've been in IT for 25 years and seen dumb, dumber, and "wonder how they find their (ahem) first thing in the morning to take a whiz" level of idiocy. This story is the latter. God help people if this is the day-to-day level of organization of your average investor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing