Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 02:27 AM

106,691 posts, read 108,880,922 times

Advertisements

I would disagree …foreign stocks not only are dependent on their own markets but they are dependent on where the dollar goes .

They play no part in any of the all season portfolios because they fall short of their job function more often then not .

When we have prosperity here in an all season portfolio it needs to react as strongly as possible and we could never count on foreign stocks and bonds to fill that roll.

Tax exempt bonds are not treasuries and can’t be counted on either in a 2008 scenario or soar 30% ..at these rates taxes are rarely an issue from interest if you ain’t very wealthy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 03:45 AM

here is an example of the yin and yang built in to something like the permanent portfolio , which is now going on 50 years

notice 2008 it was down just over 1% while equities fell 50%

TSM = TOTAL MARKET FUND

GLD =GOLD , IAU IS FINE TOO

LONG TREASURIES , TLT ,VGLT , VLGSX - FTLTX - FNGBX . THESE ARE ALL THE SAME , SOME ARE ETFS , SOME ARE FUNDS , I USE VGLT

SHORT TERM TREASURIES CAN BE SHY , SHV , T-BILL ETFS , TREASURY MONEY MARKETS ,VSBSX , FUMBX , MINT

for 2020 it returned 16.1%

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-13-2021 at 03:54 AM..

Old 08-13-2021, 07:27 AM

1,319 posts, read 856,061 times
@mathjak107
I think you have fully convinced me that permanent portfolio is the best Way to go ( for my reserves) I’m already maxing out a retirement account and an smaller Brokerage account for growth.

My biggest concern is that everyone is warning about investing in bonds at this time and since permanent portfolio is 55% bonds .Do you think that is still prudent in this environment ?and will approximately 15% gold be able to “fly fighter cover” as you say for those bonds?

Thanks

Old 08-13-2021, 07:28 AM

4,143 posts, read 3,056,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That's one of the more contentious topics on the entire forum!

Personally I still believe that foreign stocks are a better dollar-hedge, than are the various instruments in "defensive" portfolios. Unfortunately the US dollar has been inordinately strong. It did sustain maybe an 8% breather a bit over a year ago... a nice bounce for American-based holders of foreign stocks. But overall the trend since 2007 has been a strengthening dollar.

Also of note is tax-consequences. For this reason I prefer tax-exempt bond funds, and in particular Vanguard's intermediate-term tax exempt bond fund.
Assuming you still live in Ohio, the Vanguard Ohio Long-Term Tax-Exempt Bond Fund would also shield your bond income from state, city, and school district income taxes. My school district just taxes earned income, but some districts also tax unearned income.

As to whether the Vanguard fund is better or worse than buying individual bonds through a broker, I don't know. With the death of my mother in 2020, I now have both types.

Old 08-13-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad01 View Post
@mathjak107
I think you have fully convinced me that permanent portfolio is the best Way to go ( for my reserves) I’m already maxing out a retirement account and an smaller Brokerage account for growth.

My biggest concern is that everyone is warning about investing in bonds at this time and since permanent portfolio is 55% bonds .Do you think that is still prudent in this environment ?and will approximately 15% gold be able to “fly fighter cover” as you say for those bonds?

Thanks
No , the ultra short term bonds or cash instruments used in the pp are not actually considered bonds as such . I used t bill etfs and money markets which are very short term and not effected much. Even shy which is 1-3 year bonds has very little volatility

For all purposes they are a proxy for cash instruments …if you think rates are headed higher use treasury money markets

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-13-2021 at 07:56 AM..

Old 08-13-2021, 08:59 AM

9,137 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
My growth and income model is 30-40% equities and the rest in an assortment of bond funds .no long term though .

Being retired and in very good financial shape I don’t need high equity levels anymore 6 years in to retirement
Exactly.

People with well-funded retirement accounts can afford to take risks but do not need to take risks.

Old 08-13-2021, 09:06 AM

It depends on your draw not the amount you have

Drawing 4% safely can require the same 40-60% equities starting out whether 3 miilion or 500k or 250k or ….

In order to sustain 4% you need to achieve a 2% real return (that is after inflation ) for the first 15 years of a 30 year retirement…. That is very hard to do with fixed income as higher rates mean higher inflation.

So amounts don’t matter , the percentage draw over number of years determines how much in equities is needed

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-13-2021 at 10:25 AM..

Old 08-13-2021, 10:35 AM

6,761 posts, read 5,058,954 times
I'm going to give the same advice I did in 2011. Anyone who does not need to use their account for ten years or longer should have the highest stock allocation their stomach will allow. (And note that this is not the advice I've always given). A person who is near retirement or in retirement is facing a different situation, and it's not so simple.

With respect to specific bond investments, Loomis Sayles Bond is a fund that's done a decent job navigating the investment/junk landscape. The long-term returns are a little better than from a bond market index fund. I would rather take some credit risk today, as opposed to interest rate risk.

Old 08-13-2021, 10:44 AM

Kitces would definitely disagree with that ..

Michael kitces is one of the most brilliant researchers we have in the field of retirement planning .

In his view it depends where you are in your cycle …if you are in the red zone he would definitely caution you about going as high as you can stomach at that point in time …the red zone is the 10 years leading in to retirement when portfolios tend to be at their fullest and the first ten years in retirement …after that go as high as you can tolerate but he has a great case for not doing it sooner

https://www.kitces.com/blog/managing...ment-red-zone/

Old 08-13-2021, 10:55 AM

6,761 posts, read 5,058,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Kitces would definitely disagree with that ..

Michael kitces is one of the most brilliant researchers we have in the field of retirement planning .

In his view it depends where you are in your cycle …if you are in the red zone he would definitely caution you about going as high as you can stomach at that point in time …the red zone is the 10 years leading in to retirement when portfolios tend to be at their fullest and the first ten years in retirement …after that go as high as you can tolerate but he has a great case for not doing it sooner

https://www.kitces.com/blog/managing...ment-red-zone/
You might take the time to actually read posts before replying. Note that I said my advice is for people who won't need to use their account for 10 years or longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing