Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How long will it take the S&P to recover?
0-3 months 6 3.35%
4-6 months 8 4.47%
7-12 months 25 13.97%
1-2 years 80 44.69%
3+ years 60 33.52%
Voters: 179. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 08:27 AM

5,477 posts, read 6,302,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I think there’s more downside risk than upside potential at current levels over the next 6 months.
So…6 more months of buying opportunities? I’m ok with that. 6 months, a year, that’s short term to me. None of the 36 stocks on my watchlist are in my buy zones after this recent rally, so I wouldn’t mind seeing prices come down a bit for a while.

Your downside risk is my buying opportunity. It’s all in your mindset I suppose.

“All past declines look like an opportunity, all future declines look like a risk.” - Morgan Housel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 10:42 AM

3,496 posts, read 2,186,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post
So…6 more months of buying opportunities? I’m ok with that. 6 months, a year, that’s short term to me. None of the 36 stocks on my watchlist are in my buy zones after this recent rally, so I wouldn’t mind seeing prices come down a bit for a while.

Your downside risk is my buying opportunity. It’s all in your mindset I suppose.

“All past declines look like an opportunity, all future declines look like a risk.” - Morgan Housel
When downside risk outweighs upside potential, I add hedges within my brokerage account. That’s all it changes for me. And perhaps I raise some cash and/or hold off on deploying new capital until there is a pullback. Similar to what you are doing by waiting to add to names within your watchlist until they are in your buy zone.

Old 02-06-2023, 11:23 AM

1,078 posts, read 627,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurekidd View Post

I love that quote. Here's another one that seems to be a good fit too, “It's better to be approximately right than exactly wrong.” - Carveth Read

Old 02-18-2023, 10:29 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,693,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Maybe it’s just me but hard guy to listen to yikes
A lot of people say that. He uses that crazy voice on purpose. He tries to make his videos funny and entertaining as well as informative. But it's not for everyone. The information in his message is good, though.

Old 10-03-2023, 04:39 PM

In another ~12 weeks, the first four answers will be incorrect.

Old 10-25-2023, 10:20 AM

It’s been 660 days since the S&P made a record high. Or just under 22 months. Will it hit a new high within the next 15 months or will the fifth answer of 3+ years be correct? Historically, election years are far worse for the equity market than pre-election years. Should be interesting.

Old 10-25-2023, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I guessed within 12 months we will be back in an uptrend, but we’ll see and that doesn’t mean we will be at new highs either. This is just a guess.
Bmw: how have you fared in the market over the past two years? I know previously you said you had a lot of success following the great financial crisis but are you seeing similar trading success over the past two years as the market chops?

Old 10-25-2023, 11:18 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,262,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
It’s been 660 days since the S&P made a record high. Or just under 22 months. Will it hit a new high within the next 15 months or will the fifth answer of 3+ years be correct? Historically, election years are far worse for the equity market than pre-election years. Should be interesting.
It's nice to see that there is at least one other bear on these boards, sometimes I feel like I'm going up the creek and without a paddle here.

Bottom line: the market hasn't collapsed. But the days of throwing darts and getting 10% returns are over. There's still money to be made, but you have to be more selective.

Old 10-25-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
It's nice to see that there is at least one other bear on these boards, sometimes I feel like I'm going up the creek and without a paddle here.

Bottom line: the market hasn't collapsed. But the days of throwing darts and getting 10% returns are over. There's still money to be made, but you have to be more selective.
I’m not a bear in the sense that I’m not shorting equities right now. I am, however, avoiding anything big tech related which includes SPY as a result. After TLT, my largest holding right now is NEE. There are deals out there but you have to look a little harder to find them than in the past. And there are certainly plenty of traps out there as well.

Old 10-25-2023, 02:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post

Yeah, rough days.
My accumulated returns on the Q's has fallen below 1000%
+652.75% Today.

I'm still alive and eating OK.
No need to withdraw funds, since been cash heavy for a yr.
Good time for harvesting losses or doing Roth rolls.

$8k due for 2nd half Property taxes is the next check to write (Oct 30), but so-be-it (Fixed costs)

How long will it take the S&P to recover?
Seems it will take a while longer now...

Nothing promising coming out of Fed Reserve or WA DC.

I think that crew is 'sleeping', as they could ACT and stabilize money markets / commerce / lending / future investment planning for corps. Guess they are giving us what we asked for (a service economy) minimal value add and capital investment, just lean and cheap services. If it feels good (and will buy you 2-4 yrs gravy...) just do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing