Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2023, 10:41 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang84 View Post
I'm sure I could dig through your posts and find things you said that were completely wrong as well. But I don't a) have the time, b) energy, or c) care to do so.

Whatever I said about Ford last January was before Russia invaded Ukraine and before interest rates started climbing, both of which were negative toward the auto industry in general. I still stand by Ford being fundamentally undervalued compared to Tesla, even if the market still can't quite get over its meme stock addiction.
Speaking of interest rates climbing, I bought $20k worth of shares of Opendoor prior to the rate hikes, and ended up liquidating those shares at a 50 percent loss. Stuff happens, such is life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2023, 08:45 AM

1,078 posts, read 626,158 times
Rough quarter for most of Tesla's competition, notably Ford. From the CNBC interview with CEO, Jim Farley:

"We lost about 100,000 units of production."

From the conference call:

"We should have done much better last year," Farley said. "We left about $2 billion in profits on the table that were within our control, and we're going to correct that with improved execution and performance."

Musk seemed optimistic about hitting 2M vehicles delivered this year on the conference call. A stark difference to say the least.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:17 AM

3,489 posts, read 2,181,809 times
This thread got real quiet. When matrix and mustang resurface, I’ll know it’s time to buy shares again

Old 02-07-2023, 08:28 AM

1,221 posts, read 1,046,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
This thread got real quiet. When matrix and mustang resurface, I’ll know it’s time to buy shares again
It'll be a clearer buy signal if Lowexpectations resurfaces as well. But like Clark Kent and Superman, Lowexpectations and matrix never seem to be in the same room at the same time.

Old 02-07-2023, 12:54 PM

3,489 posts, read 2,181,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kishac View Post
It'll be a clearer buy signal if Lowexpectations resurfaces as well. But like Clark Kent and Superman, Lowexpectations and matrix never seem to be in the same room at the same time.
Haha!!

Old 02-08-2023, 04:54 PM

2,368 posts, read 1,054,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
Not sure why quiet....should have loaded up on january 3rd...

Tsla stock has doubled in value since early january ....in just only one month...
Tsla stock can really move quickly ....lots of FOMO.....

Meanwhile my stock portfolio not so much ....

Old 02-09-2023, 02:32 PM

1,740 posts, read 1,265,028 times
The biggest news is Tesla is apparently already producing 12 Megapacks / day in Lathrop. That is near 50% of the stated capacity. Could reach capacity in Q3 or Q4 of this year. Could see ~ $15 billion in revenue on 7,000 Megapacks produced this year - though part of the recognition will be delayed quarters until installation is complete.

So still a decent shot of incremental $1 EPS just from Tesla Energy. Would make odds of $5 in EPS pretty decent which would keep the 50% YoY earnings growth in play.

Old 02-09-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeApelido View Post
The biggest news is Tesla is apparently already producing 12 Megapacks / day in Lathrop. That is near 50% of the stated capacity. Could reach capacity in Q3 or Q4 of this year. Could see ~ $15 billion in revenue on 7,000 Megapacks produced this year - though part of the recognition will be delayed quarters until installation is complete.

So still a decent shot of incremental $1 EPS just from Tesla Energy. Would make odds of $5 in EPS pretty decent which would keep the 50% YoY earnings growth in play.
Yes, this is going to be huge for Tesla! Still can't understand why so many retails investors, and even analysts, consider Tesla an auto company.

I think I posted a chart showing the revenue and margin for the energy portion of the biz a short time ago up thread. And the potential is for 10K Megapack units per year! Complete gamechanger.

Now, if they can figure out the solar part of the biz which only grew 1% YoY. I think it may be that they'll need to wholesale the panels and roof shingles to allow for better efficiency. It's a lot easier to manufacture ~ 2M vehicles this year than when you only have a few models to produce. But there's a lot more to it when you have to install solar panels (or shingles) on one roof versus another roof.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:02 AM

2,340 posts, read 2,658,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE42 View Post
Yes, this is going to be huge for Tesla! Still can't understand why so many retails investors, and even analysts, consider Tesla an auto company.

I think I posted a chart showing the revenue and margin for the energy portion of the biz a short time ago up thread. And the potential is for 10K Megapack units per year! Complete gamechanger.

Now, if they can figure out the solar part of the biz which only grew 1% YoY. I think it may be that they'll need to wholesale the panels and roof shingles to allow for better efficiency. It's a lot easier to manufacture ~ 2M vehicles this year than when you only have a few models to produce. But there's a lot more to it when you have to install solar panels (or shingles) on one roof versus another roof.
When people think of the Energy component of Tesla, I think many think Solar. In reality I think solar will be a tiny, tiny slice of the pie for the foreseeable future.

Energy Storage and related things like Virtual Power Plants are what are going to explode (financially).

Old 02-10-2023, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
When people think of the Energy component of Tesla, I think many think Solar. In reality I think solar will be a tiny, tiny slice of the pie for the foreseeable future.

Energy Storage and related things like Virtual Power Plants are what are going to explode (financially).
I agree 100%! The Megapack business is going to be a massive revenue gain for Tesla. Solar will most likely stay under 5% for several years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing