Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 03:43 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

It is important to keep in mind that the permanent portfolio actually is a barbel on the fixed income side .

It’s duration is about the same as a total bond fund .

You have 25% of the money in Tlt , and 25% in cash instruments….in a conventional 50/50 that would be the same as 50% in a total bond fund …at the end of the day the barbel is actually down less even though the hit on Tlt was larger then on a total bond fund ..

There is a reason the PP has been in use around the world for 50 years now ..it has more books ,articles and videos on it then any other portfolio ever .

It isn’t magical and tight money recessions will have it falling but tight money isn’t a long term major scenario like

Prosperity

Depression

Recession

High inflation / weak dollar .

Eventually we fall in to one of the big 4 and it’s then that the assets in the pp tend to part ways and react to the various economic outcomes.

Unlike a conventional 50/50 or 60/40 where stocks are the only lead horse , the pp uses assets that have the came capability of big moves as equities do …

Long term treasuries and gold all can meet or exceed the moves in stocks .

What is also interesting is that over most time frames stocks and gold have actually beaten stocks and bonds ….

In fact gold has beaten equites the last 20 years .

Yet gold is a competitor to bonds and the dollar not equities ….if one buys gold it should be out of the bond and cash budget not equities.

There have been loads of dr Frankenstein versions of the PP created over the years using all kinds of assets like oil , commodities , real estate and going even cashless as well as using leveraged funds .

Some did well under some years and worse under other years but overall none have had the balance and predictability to economic outcomes as the original .

Over the years the permant portfolio fund has not been anything like the harry brown 4x4 do it yourself version of the permanent portfolio…the fund has lacked the basic 4 asset version over most time frames as the fund veered off into other investments .

For those who don’t know , the harry brown 4x4 permanent portfolio can be made up with just 4 assets

25% total market fund or S&P fund , vti or voo as example

25% gold , gld or Iau as example

25% long term treasuries TLT , vglt

25% cash instruments or very short term notes and bonds.

The pp is not for growth ….it is for after you have grown your money over decades .

It is for capital preservation and LONG TERM INFLATION PROTECTION. .

It is not going to help in a tight money recession but these are temporary and usually short lived and under 18 months

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-22-2022 at 04:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 04:04 AM

For those interested , there are lots of books on the permanent portfolio .

Like i said , no other portfolio has more articles , books , forums dedicated to them and discussions .

While it can be down it is about as low on the ulcer index of portfolios as you can go without market timing .

For starters in books , sites

https://portfoliocharts.com/portfoli...ent-portfolio/

https://www.amazon.com/Fail-Safe-Inv...Q%3D%3D&sr=8-1

https://www.amazon.com/Permanent-Por...18288254&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Laid-Inv...0-4513d670b6bc

https://www.amazon.com/Investing-Equ...ks%2C85&sr=1-3

Old 10-22-2022, 09:15 AM

107 posts, read 106,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Block View Post
The current primary threat to long-term Treasuries is quantitative-tightening which represents the FRB reducing the holding of its own issued Treasury securities. The situation is also called a reduction in the size of the FRB balance sheet.

Rising interest rates, as increases in overnight bank rates by the FRB, are not the primary threat to long-term Treasuries because rising interest rates have more of a single purpose of reducing inflation.

Now ticker TLT is a fund of long-term Treasury bonds
Agreed to disagree. The criterion of truth is practice. TLT went down from 154 Dec 3-rd to 110 in June 9 prior any quantitative tightening has been implemented.
https://g.co/finance/TLT:NASDAQ?window=YTD

There are bond duration and convexity risks related to interest rate
https://www.investopedia.com/article...-convexity.asp

Quantitative-tightening does not explain difference in reaction to tightening between T-bills and 30-year treasuries.

But let us leave disagreement aside.
Harry Browne portfolio has been tested since 1971. It could not be tested in 1929-33 as gold had fixed priced related to dollar. The closest to current economical condition tight money recession was in 1981.
According to Mr. Browne, whole portfolio dropped to 6% without inflation adjustment. Another source, mentioned in mathjak107 post, gives us 14% inflation adjusted drop in the portfolio.
Paul Volcker raised rate from 8.5% June 5, 1980 to 20% December 5, 1980. Two recessions followed with GDP -1.8% and unemployment of 10.8% in 1982. In 1983 inflation was 3.2%

https://www.thebalancemoney.com/fed-...s-lows-3306135

Is that example is an equivalent of rate increase from 0% to 3% with planned 4.5%?
Based on reaction of Permanent Portfolio, which is almost 20% down this year, it is not. This is non inflation adjusted number.
Based on reaction of the assets expected recession can be steeper, deeper and shorter. Quantitative tightening has already decreased M2 money supply by 1.3%.
According to Friedman and Schwartz 2.5% changed of money supply in 1930 was the trigger of depression.

My conclusion is that there are two possible outcomes from current tight money state:
- rising rate to the target and continuation of quantitative tightening followed by depression
- Feds pivots followed by easing money supply through different mechanisms and inflationary environment.

I believe regardless of outcome it will be a real test for Harry Browne portfolio. He stipulated in his book that long term treasuries will carry whole portfolio during deflation followed by slashing change of fed’s rate

Old 10-22-2022, 09:53 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,642 times
I just want to publicly state that I love the way My Kind of Town baited Mathjack back to the forum with this post lolol

Well played!

Old 10-22-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I just want to publicly state that I love the way My Kind of Town baited Mathjack back to the forum with this post lolol

Well played!
I had already replied to some other forums here so while I do have an interest in this discussion it wasn’t the reason I came back

Old 10-22-2022, 11:11 AM

2,009 posts, read 1,211,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I had already replied to some other forums here so while I do have an interest in this discussion it wasn’t the reason I came back

I'm just playin

Own more equities MJ....you know history , when it feels like the world is ending it's the best time to back up the truck!

Old 10-22-2022, 12:13 PM

1,212 posts, read 733,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inok View Post
Agreed to disagree ...
Quantitative-tightening does not ...

At this level, it's sufficient to say that the FRB has two distinctly different operations targeting the current economic environment of inflation. Those operations are overnight bank rate increases and, additionally, quantitative-tightening.

As for these newly inspired proponents of long-term bonds, they must be calling a bottom. That's not an unreasonable viewpoint but not assured. And there is the famous Hamlet misquote of "me thinks he doth protest too much".

Now the next month-over-month inflation report will show whether or not the three-month MoM inflation acceleration continues or tops out

Last edited by T Block; 10-22-2022 at 12:56 PM..

Old 10-22-2022, 06:43 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Kind Of Town View Post
TLT continues to get crushed. PP is on track for a 20% decline this year and zero return over a 5 year period (negative real return when accounting for inflation). Retirees are getting absolutely killed this year. I can’t imagine how stressed I would be if I just retired within the last couple years (unless of course I had a fat pension).
Well that would be me. I retired in March and the market went off a cliff. Kind of par for the course, for me.
I do have a pension - not “fat”, but between that and SS, I can live. No splurges though. It’s gonna be a long time before things get comfy enough for me to loosen the purse strings.

Old 10-22-2022, 06:55 PM

107 posts, read 106,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Block View Post
At this level, it's sufficient to say that the FRB has two distinctly different operations targeting the current economic environment of inflation. Those operations are overnight bank rate increases and, additionally, quantitative-tightening.

As for these newly inspired proponents of long-term bonds, they must be calling a bottom. That's not an unreasonable viewpoint but not assured. And there is the famous Hamlet misquote of "me thinks he doth protest too much".

Now the next month-over-month inflation report will show whether or not the three-month MoM inflation acceleration continues or tops out
I like “newly inspired proponents” phrase.
The genius of Harry Browne does not require anybody to be a proponent or opponent of anything.
It uses agnostic approach in investing.

Old 10-22-2022, 08:39 PM

1,212 posts, read 733,035 times
Well, the duration of TLT is 17.17 years.

Then the Permanent Portfolio mutual fund is not holding a bond duration anywhere near that length
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing