Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 07:47 PM

110 posts, read 92,586 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever invested via real estate online? If so do you have any advice, personal opinions about it, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 03:55 AM

4,858 posts, read 455,583 times
Buy an ordinary, regular vanilla, un-fancy REIT through your brokerage. There's millions of them. DO NOT touch any sort of internet come-on.

Old 02-12-2023, 03:57 AM

106,722 posts, read 108,913,061 times
But remember reits are stocks first .

They are a play on real estate but they are still stocks .

They are no where near owning your own brick and mortar

Old 02-12-2023, 08:22 AM

So in reality it's no different then buying stocks?

Old 02-12-2023, 08:33 AM

reits are stocks

Old 02-12-2023, 08:59 AM

5,896 posts, read 6,963,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Beef View Post
So in reality it's no different then buying stocks?
You are buying stock in companies that primarily focus on owning real estate, such as apartment complexes, shopping malls, commercial high rises, etc. A lot of people can own an individual condo/duplex for rent, but most can't own a shopping center. REITs are one way to do that.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:10 AM

the problem is you are subject to the general stock market , earnings reports , short sellers , machine generated trading , management changes and all the things that effect a stocks price .

most of that price is based on market sentiment , and fear and greed .

that is not like owning brick and mortar directly .

even untraded reits can be awful .

some like one i owned used money that was supposed to buy more property as well as used borrowed money to prop up the dividend .

private reits are just about non transparent as to what is going on .

look up the history on say the apple hospitality reit when it was untraded .

so reits are no different then any other stock .

on a good down day , whatever the business is in to falls just the same , regardless of what the core business is in

Old 02-12-2023, 09:16 AM

287 posts, read 212,337 times
I invested $25K through CrowdStreet 7 years ago in a mezzanine debt note. It has been paying 10% annual interest every quarter since then. At this point, the payments have almost equalled the initial investment, so I've almost doubled my money. Crowdstreet and the sponsor (Everwest) have both been communicating status and forecast regularly. Being a note (debt instrument) it is not really brick and mortar, so my risk is reduced slightly. Conversely, there's no chance for any upside, there's no appreciation like you get with an equity investment.

It may be a good strategy to invest the absolute minimum through one or more of the portals with long track records, but the risks are very high. You must accept that you may lose your entire investment, or not get any payments, or have your money tied up for a long time. Also look for sponsors with long and satisfactory track records.

I consider real estate essential to portfolio diversification. You must sacrifice liquidity when investing in real estate directly or in partnership. If you have any questions, PM me. I probably won't revisit this thread because of the thread-crapper who has already posted thrice.

Old 02-12-2023, 09:19 AM

it is important for people to understand what it is they are buying in to ...

as far as crowd street , this is pretty accurate

https://www.nerdwallet.com/reviews/i...rs/crowdstreet

so if you are against people understanding products then c-ya

Old 02-12-2023, 12:12 PM

Thank you all. Investing is foreign to me and I'm looking for something to fill in the spaces when I'm not busy with my small business. I have contemplated almost everything property related and honestly would love something where I could kind of pay and step back. My financial advisor told me what he has done...bought a few properties out of state and let a property management company take care of everything. I think for myself it's more mental because feeling like I'm not contributing to the household when business is slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing