Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2023, 11:44 AM

4,196 posts, read 4,077,595 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving my TD Ameritrade account to Fidelity before the account converts to Schwab. My largest position is a brokered CD and I can’t get a definitive answer from TDA or Fidelity if the ACAT transfer can handle a brokered CD. They said it probably would transfer but I need a better answer than that. Has anyone here ever done an ACAT transfer of a brokered CD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2023, 01:43 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
usually you can only acat cds from one bank to another not from one brokerage to another ..

fidelity will not allow a acat brokered cds as an example.

their reply when asked

“Certificates of Deposit (CDs) are not eligible to be transferred into a Fidelity account.

Therefore, you would need to liquidate the CD first and transfer the cash over. We recommend reaching out to the institution holding your CD to review your choices and determine what fees may be associated with liquidating and transferring the process. “

On the other hand, only certain bonds are ineligible to be transferred into Fidelity, so we could certainly look into it further for you before you initiate the transfer.

Old 07-28-2023, 02:44 PM

Thanks for the info. The Fidelity rep I spoke to checked something and said “most CDs” could be transferred but she didn’t seem knowledgeable about it. My CD matures before the Schwab conversion but a couple of days after the cutoff they are imposing for transferring out the account. I guess I will just leave the CD at TDA until maturity.

Old 07-28-2023, 05:14 PM

6,340 posts, read 4,892,353 times
My TDA to Schwab conversion took place at the end of May.

I'm also thinking about moving to Fidelity or another online broker. I figure I can just open an account and, as each CD matures, move cash and buy new CDs.

Old 07-29-2023, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
My TDA to Schwab conversion took place at the end of May.

I'm also thinking about moving to Fidelity or another online broker. I figure I can just open an account and, as each CD matures, move cash and buy new CDs.
Do you like Schwab? I don’t like being forced to become their customer. Even though they owned TDA for a few years, nothing had changed until now. It’s easy to open a Fidelity account and move cash via an ACAT transaction that usually clears in a day.

Old 07-29-2023, 06:32 AM

i like fidelity best ..over 35 years now with them.

i dumped vanguard…no comparison to fidelity in my opinion as far as customer service , website and policies

Last edited by mathjak107; 07-29-2023 at 06:43 AM..

Old 07-29-2023, 06:58 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,211,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Do you like Schwab? I don’t like being forced to become their customer. Even though they owned TDA for a few years, nothing had changed until now. It’s easy to open a Fidelity account and move cash via an ACAT transaction that usually clears in a day.
Other than transitioning your TDA account to Schwab because of the acquisition what does Schwab lack that Fidelity has or does?

Old 07-29-2023, 09:36 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times
FWIW, at age 79, I have had a Schwab account for 30 years now (and had a Fidelity account for 24 years) with IRA and brokerage accounts. Neither has been a problem, although Schwab was always a little more responsive and helpful, while Fidelity was just OK. Did not do any stock trading. I used their offices in 2 different States, CO & CT.

Recently I did an online ACATS transfer from S to F, in order to reduce the number of accounts my heirs will need to deal with. No CDs, just mutual funds and money markets.

BTW the money market did need to be cashed out, then transfered. Also needed to do an RMD from IRA at F before the transfer took place.

As always, YMMV

Old 07-29-2023, 10:37 AM

depending how much you have with fidelity they have different levels of customers .

being top tier for 35 years we have always had superb customer service .we don’t call the general access number

Old 07-29-2023, 06:19 PM

26,191 posts, read 21,568,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
usually you can only acat cds from one bank to another not from one brokerage to another ..

fidelity will not allow a acat brokered cds as an example.

their reply when asked

“Certificates of Deposit (CDs) are not eligible to be transferred into a Fidelity account.

Therefore, you would need to liquidate the CD first and transfer the cash over. We recommend reaching out to the institution holding your CD to review your choices and determine what fees may be associated with liquidating and transferring the process. “

On the other hand, only certain bonds are ineligible to be transferred into Fidelity, so we could certainly look into it further for you before you initiate the transfer.
Brokered CDs move all the time via the acat system. Either fidelity’s response is wrong or they are an anomaly because it happens a all the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing