Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2023, 12:53 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
which is why the way many portfolios are structured they are heavy the large caps , and lighter mid caps and lighter still on small caps or even no small caps .

we hold almost no small caps in the models i have as the head winds looked to difficult for them .

few really benefit from AI and most rely on borrowed money. many don’t have pricing power either to compensate for higher wages today.

so while i am always invested , the actual holdings are weighted to kind of fit the big picture .

like nudging a big ship to keep it on course.

so best results do require some input unlike just buying large , mid and small cap indexes thru every underlying economic outcome we have .

one doesn’t even have to guess right all the time with the weightings . you just need to be right more then wrong
I'm getting lost in the platitudes and metaphors. Are you asserting that a prescient analyst could have discerned, years ago, that economic conditions overwhelmingly favor large-caps? Are you asserting now, that the stock market fad of the moment (AI) offers strong and compelling reason to favor large-caps? Or are you asserting that a more humble and more stable approach all along, would have been to disavow factor-weighting and instead to just buy into a total market index?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 01:36 PM

239 posts, read 106,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
The Dow’s all-time high at market close stands at 36,799.65 points, reached on Jan. 4, 2022. The index’s highest price, period, was on Jan. 5, 2022: During that trading day, the Dow reached 36,952.65 points.

When do you think we will surpass this number?

Personally, I figure I’ve been purchasing at a discount for a while now. But I’m getting a bit fussy with the political scenario we are about to experience in the next year. War in Israel and Palestine, the Russian-Ukrainian war, the US Presidential election in ‘24.

Fun times.
Many people think it's time to buy since it's almost the end of the year. I asked my husband if he's contributed his $6500 this year yet. He said no, it's too high now. That's what he said last month too

Old 12-18-2023, 02:10 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
I'm getting lost in the platitudes and metaphors. Are you asserting that a prescient analyst could have discerned, years ago, that economic conditions overwhelmingly favor large-caps? Are you asserting now, that the stock market fad of the moment (AI) offers strong and compelling reason to favor large-caps? Or are you asserting that a more humble and more stable approach all along, would have been to disavow factor-weighting and instead to just buy into a total market index?
i am saying the last year with rates climbing it didn’t favor holding small caps since they are usually the most vulnerable to rates and wages increasing

Old 12-18-2023, 02:31 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i am saying the last year with rates climbing it didn’t favor holding small caps since they are usually the most vulnerable to rates and wages increasing
Are you advocating for an annual reassessment of one's portfolio-allocations, based on the economic data available at that time?

Old 12-18-2023, 02:33 PM

not annually but when the big picture changes there can be better fund choices .

been doing that for more than 35 years as that is exactly how the fidelity models are done.

while i stink at it the newsletter is better at it .

but even if wrong it is not going to hurt you , you are always invested , you may just not gain the extra you hoped for

Old 12-19-2023, 02:38 PM

18,052 posts, read 15,639,191 times
New high today! 37,558

Old 12-19-2023, 07:26 PM

3,037 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Are you advocating for an annual reassessment of one's portfolio-allocations, based on the economic data available at that time?
Portfolio allocations may stay the same.

What you may do is rebalance between the funds. Sell some of the winners & add to the losers.

In the next year maybe the winners & losers change.

May depend on the company, Walgreens may need to change some items in their business model. If they don't could follow Sears or JC Penney. Maybe a Bed Bath & Beyond can continue since their purchase by Overstock.

Market usually looks 6 months ahead. Maybe 2024 will be a better year than 2023.

Old 12-26-2023, 03:39 PM

170 posts, read 74,050 times
The market keeps going higher and higher,those portfolio managers would have to hold on to their positions for the 2023 annual report to shareholders,they have to hold on to them until Jan1 ,2024,
Could be the reason why market does not fall,as there are few sellers?
But what could prevent them from selling come Jan 2nd,2024?if the market has surged over 23% so far?
can the market still go up another 20% in first qtr 2024?

Old 12-26-2023, 03:47 PM

sure it could go up ….but it can go down too

Old 12-26-2023, 05:52 PM

170 posts, read 74,050 times
we shall soon find out,wont we?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing