Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 04:37 AM

106,749 posts, read 108,937,910 times

Advertisements

it reminds me of what people do when they buy a lot of funds in their 401k without regard for creating a cohesive functioning portfolio with some kind of strategy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2024, 03:08 PM

4,858 posts, read 456,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
it reminds me of what people do when they buy a lot of funds in their 401k without regard for creating a cohesive functioning portfolio with some kind of strategy
?

The cohesive strategy is still cohesive. I've simply learned a lesson: to be mindful of any ADRs I choose regarding auto-deductions by governments from MY dividends. The stocks I've chosen cohesively represent specific market sectors in the attempt to be diversified without being "de-worse-ified." Cyclicality is just a reality. I'm certain I can live with just 4, rather than 5 single-stocks in the portfolio. And we should all try to remember that nothing lasts forever. Happy New Year.

Or were you addressing someone else?
The Market sure did vomit its way into the end of '23, didn't it?????

Old 01-01-2024, 03:20 PM

106,749 posts, read 108,937,910 times
market gains always come over few days …it usually is fast and furious and happens when no one expects it

as i remind everyone

University of Michigan Professor H. Nejat Seyhun analyzed 7,802 trading days for the 31 years from 1963 to 1993 and concluded that just 90 days generated 95% of all the years’ market gains — an average of just three days per year. miss those few days and you hurt your return .

If you were able to miss the worst days , you would have had an incredible return .

But It is near impossible to not only reliably miss the worst days but it is just as hard to miss the worst time frame as a whole .

catching the best days is easy as pie ... just be invested . NO PREDICTING NEEDED .

Old 01-02-2024, 03:48 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
Good point. There is always the unexpected, though:I bought an ADR. Global, great company, but industrial metals (aluminum) is very cyclical. it has fallen on me. I stuck with it for the dividend and was adding--- until that foreign gov't took 25% of my dividend UP-FRONT, for taxes. **** on THAT. So, while it's more recently been rising, I continue to hold it, at under 1% of portfolio total. When it climbs again to my desired price, THEN I will dump it and consolidate. I don't pay taxes to Uncle Sam, why should I pay to NORWAY?
You can take a tax credit for the foreign dividend withholdings even if you take the standard deduction. It's just a bit more work at tax time so if it's like $10 I'd just let it under the bridge but you shouldn't let it stop you from owning the stuff in a taxable account (never buy foreign ADRs in an IRA though for this reason). You qualify for the credit anyway if you own IXUS / VXUS in a taxable account.

Old 01-03-2024, 01:07 PM

4,858 posts, read 456,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
You can take a tax credit for the foreign dividend withholdings even if you take the standard deduction. It's just a bit more work at tax time so if it's like $10 I'd just let it under the bridge but you shouldn't let it stop you from owning the stuff in a taxable account (never buy foreign ADRs in an IRA though for this reason). You qualify for the credit anyway if you own IXUS / VXUS in a taxable account.
Thanks, you're right. Except that we never owe ANY federal 1040 tax, so the foreign tax paid credit counts against zero. There is nothing to deduct that amount "against," if you know what I mean. Zero US 1040 tax due, no quarterly payments to be made. No withholding. So, I just don't like the idea of a different government doing that to me. If I was still working, yes----- I could use that foreign tax credit.

Old 01-06-2024, 11:56 AM

5 posts, read 1,838 times
Too many unknowns We need more information…
How old are you? --> Im 28 years old.
How close to retirement? Quite far away, nothing to consider
Level of assets, debt? --> I only hold Stocks a tiny bit of crypto.
Aversion to risk? --> I would say quite high as I'm still young.
Amount of investing experience? Etc. --> Hmm not sure what the baseline is but I would say a beginner Investor who know all the basics.

Old 01-06-2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
This is why mutual funds were invented, they do all this work for you in selecting a much more diverse investment of stocks to match your risk tolerance and objectives. The "gut feeling" strategy may have worked this year, thanks to your IT stocks. It may doom you next year.
I would put some bonds into your portfolio.
Thank you, I thought about this as well!

Old 01-06-2024, 12:06 PM

Thanks for all the great answers everyone, they definitely help and I will keep them in mind.

Old 01-06-2024, 03:35 PM

2,606 posts, read 2,295,894 times
I wouldn’t suggest bonds at his age. A diversified index portfolio of equities for the next 20 years or so.

Old 01-07-2024, 08:05 AM

711 posts, read 295,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I wouldn’t suggest bonds at his age. A diversified index portfolio of equities for the next 20 years or so.
It's always worthwhile to have some bonds, maybe 10% or 20% at his age, depending on his risk tolerance. 100% equities have higher expected returns indeed, but do not always turn out to be, and you also have to account for the emotional side of investing when one sees his portfolio drop to near nothing in a very bad year. Minor bond allocation only has a slightly lower expected return while gaining much more in stability. There may also be tax advantages if one chooses treasuries or municipals. Also what if one needs the cash for some emergency and cannot wait 20 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing