Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2024, 12:38 PM

37,627 posts, read 46,045,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
Nvidia is up $58.28 YTD. So it’s not too late.
Nah. I am retired now so I don't plan on changing my investments at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2024, 12:42 PM

9,410 posts, read 8,382,899 times
The problem with a lot of these articles is the "advice" given seems so simple. Just buy Google at its IPO and hold it for 20 years. Well, great. If I'd only known Google would blow up as it did. But yes, buy and hold is absolutely the way to go.

Personally my portfolios are made up of a mix of individual stocks and ETFs. I don't have the stomach to go all in on one or few stocks as that could turn out disastrous. I have made some bigger bets on certain stocks like Amazon and Google that have panned out quite well for me and I still haven't touched those shares and won't for the foreseeable future.

Old 01-09-2024, 12:43 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,319,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
sounds like the coffee can portfolio should go with the coffehouse portfolio

Asset Allocation

10% Large Cap Blend
10% Large Cap Value
10% Small Cap Blend
10% Small Cap Value
10% International Stocks
40% Intermediate Bonds
10% REITs
50% between bonds and REIT? No thank you. I don't own any REITs except whatever is lurking in my fund holdings, and I wouldn't even know how to buy a bond.

I'm no youngster at 54, but have enough cash savings and home equity which will be monetized upon retirement, and a pension to go with social security in retirement, so I'm not worried much about diversification into bonds and such. The coffee can stock account (taxable) will remain in stocks, the 401K will roll over to a Fidelity IRA upon retirement, and along with the wife's IRA will remain untouched and growing until they tell us we need to start RMD's.

That's the plan anyway.

Old 01-09-2024, 12:47 PM

106,752 posts, read 108,973,015 times
back in march 2000 cisco was the most valuable company in the world at that time supassing microsoft .

well 100k in cisco back then is 153,067 today .

a 100k investment in vfiax an s&p fund is 561,566

on the other hand google would be over 5 million .

so hind site is always wonderful at picking stocks

Old 01-09-2024, 12:57 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
As some of you know, I invest in individual stocks vs mutual funds and index funds. Many of you feel I am not diversified enough and my stocks are too similar. I read this today on Yahoo News about a man who was recommending Nvidia. His style of investing may not be for everyone, but look at what he did with his money. AMAZING!

“ Just buy it and hold it and don't fret the short term volitility. Time is your friend. I'm 70 years old and opened my first brokerage account in 1975 with USAA when I was 21 years old. Most of what I bought up until the late 80's were mutual funds. At the advent of the internet boom in the 90's I began to trade individual stocks and used Scottrade. During the next 10 years my trading was hit or miss. When my parents passed a few years apart in early 2000 - 2004 I inherited 250k and began investing in stocks for the long term looking forward to retirement in my 60's. I bought GOOG shortly after the IPO in 2004 at $90 a share, still have those shares with an initial investment of $5,000 for 59 shares bought in the 2004 IPO has now turned $321,503. My best investment even after dropping since this August has been AAPL purchased roughly 10K in December 2004 now worth more than 5 million. Others I've bought and held for 20 years are MSFT, CSCO, AVGO, NFLX, and others. If I had sold these the way most of you trade in and out on every dip I would never had a chance at enjoying the wealth I have today. This post is long but the point is if you want the bulk of profit available to you then you need to forget where NVDA will be Monday, next month or next year and be willing to hold it a minimum of 5 years. I said minimum and it would be better if you would to hold 10 - 20 years. You'll make more like that than any job will ever provide. Just buy NVDA and hold it 20 years.”
This is called out of the box thinking. Kudo's.

Would I do this? NO

Would I do it at age 70? NO

But you have shown yourself to have a knack for picking good investments, so if I were you, would I change things? NOPE.

Old 01-09-2024, 01:39 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,214,909 times
I'm not looking for my investments to be "the best".

I'm a believer that the future performance of the stock market will somewhat mirror the past. Maybe a little better or maybe a little worse.

Market returns have allowed me to reach my financial goals and I believe will continue to do so. So the most effective way to participate in that is through now basically zero cost, tax efficient market ETFs.

Those that buy individual stocks go for it! I proved to myself long ago I stink at it and I'm not gonna try now!!

Old 01-09-2024, 03:07 PM

18,122 posts, read 15,704,019 times
I hold some individual stocks...which are about 15% of my total portfolio. They provide a nice bump. Everything else are diversified funds, indexes, bond funds, brokered CDs and a little cash as well.

Old 01-09-2024, 05:11 PM

711 posts, read 295,457 times
Quote:
As some of you know, I invest in individual stocks vs mutual funds and index funds. Many of you feel I am not diversified enough and my stocks are too similar. I read this today on Yahoo News about a man who was recommending Nvidia. His style of investing may not be for everyone, but look at what he did with his money. AMAZING!

“ Just buy it and hold it and don't fret the short term volitility. Time is your friend. I'm 70 years old and opened my first brokerage account in 1975 with USAA when I was 21 years old. Most of what I bought up until the late 80's were mutual funds. At the advent of the internet boom in the 90's I began to trade individual stocks and used Scottrade. During the next 10 years my trading was hit or miss. When my parents passed a few years apart in early 2000 - 2004 I inherited 250k and began investing in stocks for the long term looking forward to retirement in my 60's. I bought GOOG shortly after the IPO in 2004 at $90 a share, still have those shares with an initial investment of $5,000 for 59 shares bought in the 2004 IPO has now turned $321,503. My best investment even after dropping since this August has been AAPL purchased roughly 10K in December 2004 now worth more than 5 million. Others I've bought and held for 20 years are MSFT, CSCO, AVGO, NFLX, and others. If I had sold these the way most of you trade in and out on every dip I would never had a chance at enjoying the wealth I have today. This post is long but the point is if you want the bulk of profit available to you then you need to forget where NVDA will be Monday, next month or next year and be willing to hold it a minimum of 5 years. I said minimum and it would be better if you would to hold 10 - 20 years. You'll make more like that than any job will ever provide. Just buy NVDA and hold it 20 years.”
I don't see the guys message as condemning mutual funds as much as simply adhering to a "buy and hold" strategy, which I think most of us already agree on. In fact he never mentions mutual funds.

Individual stocks are risky. You can get lucky, or you can get broke. Every company has a lifespan, just like a human. They may grow, but eventually they die...EVERY company. NVDA will die too, maybe in a few years, maybe in 50. The products become obsolete, they retrench, they start selling assets, they get bought out, and the stock prices start to sink. Learning when that curve occurs is not for amateur's.

You also forget the first rule of investing - the current market price of a stock already reflects all publicly known information about the stock, including in this case future forecasts on technology, politics, trends, internal and external forecasts, etc. These are done by people much smarter than you and I. He benefited from the unknowns in this case. In summary, he got lucky. What mutual funds allow one to do is to mitigate those unknowns, because luck is a fickle lady.

Last edited by Johnny Wadd; 01-09-2024 at 05:21 PM..

Old 01-09-2024, 05:49 PM

2,606 posts, read 2,295,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
I don't see the guys message as condemning mutual funds as much as simply adhering to a "buy and hold" strategy, which I think most of us already agree on. In fact he never mentions mutual funds.

Individual stocks are risky. You can get lucky, or you can get broke. Every company has a lifespan, just like a human. They may grow, but eventually they die...EVERY company. NVDA will die too, maybe in a few years, maybe in 50. The products become obsolete, they retrench, they start selling assets, they get bought out, and the stock prices start to sink. Learning when that curve occurs is not for amateur's.

You also forget the first rule of investing - the current market price of a stock already reflects all publicly known information about the stock, including in this case future forecasts on technology, politics, trends, internal and external forecasts, etc. These are done by people much smarter than you and I. He benefited from the unknowns in this case. In summary, he got lucky. What mutual funds allow one to do is to mitigate those unknowns, because luck is a fickle lady.
Great analysis and advice.

Last edited by organic_donna; 01-09-2024 at 06:07 PM..

Old 01-09-2024, 06:46 PM

13,662 posts, read 9,727,106 times
The theme here, and in the linked articles, is to let our winners run. Don't get spooked by occasional dips, and don't rebalance.

But it's all predicated on "wisdom" in our original basket of choices. It is assumed that out of some 10-20 stocks, one or two will massively outperform. That outperformance is to be nurtured, by... not tinkering with it. But what if there are zero such winners in one's portfolio? What if my portfolio includes none of the magnificent-seven, or their near-peers, and never did? What if my roster of picks systematically and substantially underperformed the S&P 500, for 50 years?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing