Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 11:38 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,382,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I know you didn't create this "guideline" , but this might top the list ( and there are many!) of absolutely awful investment narratives.

So a healthy 50 year old that could easily have a 30+ year time horizon should weigh down his portfolio with 50% fixed income
For sure. And I hear many so-called "experts" talk about being totally out of stocks at retirement, almost like the day after they retire they drop dead. People are living into their 80s and 90s nowadays thanks to modern medicine, no reason to sit on a fixed income portfolio for what could be 15-30 more years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2024, 11:57 AM

334 posts, read 172,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
I know you didn't create this "guideline" , but this might top the list ( and there are many!) of absolutely awful investment narratives.
So a healthy 50 year old that could easily have a 30+ year time horizon should weigh down his portfolio with 50% fixed income
I dare you to go back to the late '60s and pitch that to then 'healthy 50y.o.':
https://www.macrotrends.net/2324/sp-...cal-chart-data

Old 01-10-2024, 02:06 PM

4,867 posts, read 4,811,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
One guideline I hear of is percentage of stock vs. bonds should be 100 minus your age. So at 38 years old that should be 62% stocks and 38% bonds. At 60 years old it's 40/60. I don't necessarily agree with it (I think it's too conservative even for me), but it's one rough rule of thumb.

I left age 60 in the dust several years ago, but over the last couple of years I've pared stock (mostly via ETFs with a few individuals) down to about 45%. At this point, I don't know if I will go any any lower.

Old 01-10-2024, 05:30 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,214,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Navigate View Post
I dare you to go back to the late '60s and pitch that to then 'healthy 50y.o.':
https://www.macrotrends.net/2324/sp-...cal-chart-data

Bond holders got crushed during that time

Inflation is a big enemy for bonds

Old 01-10-2024, 07:40 PM

3,055 posts, read 3,324,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Wadd View Post
One guideline I hear of is percentage of stock vs. bonds should be 100 minus your age. So at 38 years old that should be 62% stocks and 38% bonds. At 60 years old it's 40/60. I don't necessarily agree with it (I think it's too conservative even for me), but it's one rough rule of thumb.
With people living longer the % in bonds can be adjusted. When you get to 60 maybe still have 30 years to live. So maybe keep 60% in stock & 40% in bonds. Could go 60% stock, 30% bonds, 10% cash. With the 10% cash these days @ 5% maybe ride out dips in the stock market. Need a stable fund for the 30% bonds.

For the 38 year old maybe 85% stock, 10% bond, 5% cash. Here the cash includes your emergency fund & a rainy day put & take fund.

Old 01-10-2024, 09:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,744 posts, read 58,102,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
It’s definitely not for everyone, ... I started investing in individual stocks in 2011 when I bought Apple. ...
I don’t recommend this for most people. But if you do invest in stocks, try to hold for the long term.
Don't hold LT if you happen to choose the WRONG stock

Your scenerio worked really well for my college aged kids. (They were already trained in investing and valuing companies). In the early 2000's they bought NFLIX, GOOG, MSFT, AMZN, META, AAPL. By 2020, they had harvested their profits, preserved their capital and currently into broad market ETFs. with 80%, and 20% is still play / speculation. Cost basis for their NVIDIA is <$2. They bought and held what made sense, but currently don't have the time (or interest) to follow individual issues, which they did while in school.

I stuck my appreciated shares into my DAF while offsetting earnings during my accumulation yrs.

DAF will fund others for perpetuity. Which is a good thing, because I live very inexpensively, so my gifting would be peanuts during retirement, but instead... it is at and above the levels I gifted while I had earned income.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:55 AM

106,728 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post
With people living longer the % in bonds can be adjusted. When you get to 60 maybe still have 30 years to live. So maybe keep 60% in stock & 40% in bonds. Could go 60% stock, 30% bonds, 10% cash. With the 10% cash these days @ 5% maybe ride out dips in the stock market. Need a stable fund for the 30% bonds.

For the 38 year old maybe 85% stock, 10% bond, 5% cash. Here the cash includes your emergency fund & a rainy day put & take fund.
using someone’s age to determine bonds has been proven to be quite wrong .

first off who you are investing for is the biggest factor .

someone who is going to be drawing very little from their investments because they have pensions or other income sources is very different from someone who is taking on sequence risk spending down to live .

for all purposes the first person never had their pay check stop .

the second person situation has a lot of different factors to be concerned about .

there is no actual glide path that is correct for everyone..

newer research shows that those living off that money should maintain high equity levels right up to what is called the red zone , which is 5-8 years pre retirement when portfolios are highest and drops can be big dollar hits .

the equities should be reduced down as the V shaped chart shows , then as the red zone gets cleared about 5 to 8 years in to retirement equities should head back up again .

we just cleared our red zone after 8 years in retirement and increased back up .

including ALL CASH , 52% equities , 37% bonds , 11% cash which is two years spending , but reduces down as the year progresses as it’s spent .that has equities actually rising higher in percentage as cash gets spent down

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing