Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 09:26 AM

602 posts, read 287,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
since selling near a top takes a nervous nellie personality, and buying at the bottom when there is no sign anything is getting better takes nerves of steel .

rarely does one person possess both qualities.

i can be a dirty lil market timer at heart so after failed attempts i just follow the lead of a newsletter since 1987 with excellent results compared to my own attempts at predicting what’s next

History has proven that buying down 30%+ works every time. Markets always bounce back eventually. It doesn't require precise market timing or rocket science, just a general understanding of history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2024, 09:32 AM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAdvice4U View Post
History has proven that buying down 30%+ works every time. Markets always bounce back eventually. It doesn't require precise market timing or rocket science, just a general understanding of history.
it also shows simply riding broad based funds thru the cycle as well as just investing anytime you have the dough with no timing works very well

after a number of years , whatever new money one can add is peeing in the ocean compared to the portfolio size so timing buys becomes less relevant as markets go higher over time and portfolio size grows .

a 7% drop early on may have represented a few months of 401k contributions…today it represents more then 10 years of contributions at max

Last edited by mathjak107; 02-11-2024 at 09:47 AM..

Old 02-11-2024, 09:56 AM

602 posts, read 287,944 times
Quote:
it also shows simply riding broad based funds thru the cycle as well as just investing anytime you have the dough with no timing works very well

after a number of years , whatever new money one can add is peeing in the ocean compared to the portfolio size so timing buys becomes less relevant as markets go higher over time and portfolio size grows .

a 7% drop early on may have represented a few months of 401k contributions…today it represents more then 10 years of contributions at max

I get what you're saying. What I was trying to highlight was those many people who were frantically trying to exit markets after they had fallen substantially in each of these downturns, and to point out that it was clearly the wrong strategy. They were acting on emotions, not on logic. The right strategy was to hold steady, or add stocks. Not sell them.

Old 02-11-2024, 01:43 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
since selling near a top takes a nervous nellie personality, and buying at the bottom when there is no sign anything is getting better takes nerves of steel .

rarely does one person possess both qualities.

i can be a dirty lil market timer at heart so after failed attempts i just follow the lead of a newsletter since 1987 with excellent results compared to my own attempts at predicting what’s next
I don't agree with that, for me it's not being a nervous nellie or having nerves of steel it's just logical.

I don't trade all my stocks but if I see a pattern in a stock, I'll trade in and out regularly.

I'll probably not get the highs or lowest but I make a profit.

Old 02-11-2024, 01:55 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
I don't agree with that, for me it's not being a nervous nellie or having nerves of steel it's just logical.

I don't trade all my stocks but if I see a pattern in a stock, I'll trade in and out regularly.

I'll probably not get the highs or lowest but I make a profit.
we are not talking individual stocks , but rather markets , cycles and diversified funds and timing sells and buys in and out

individual stocks are a whole other issue . miss an earnings expectation and years of gains can vanish in a session.

so companies come and go all the time as far as whether to be in them or get out.

i am not keene on owning individual stocks as my cores , never was , to much work compared to just funds

three of my favorite reminder quotes

Warren Buffett: “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.”

William Bernstein: “You are not as good looking, as charming, or as good a driver as you think you are. The same goes for your investing abilities. In an environment filled with incredibly smart, hard-working, and well-informed participants the smartest trading strategy is not to trade at all.”

Burton Malkiel " ... The indexing strategy is the one I recommend most highly. At least the core of every portfolio ought to be indexed. I recognize, however, that telling most investors that there is no hope of beating the averages is like telling a six year old that there is no Santa Claus. It takes the zing out of life."

Old 02-11-2024, 02:05 PM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
we are not talking individual stocks , but rather markets , cycles and diversified funds and timing sells and buys in and out

individual stocks are a whole other issue . miss an earnings expectation and years of gains can vanish in a session.

so companies come and go all the time as far as whether to be in them or get out.

i am not keene on owning individual stocks as my cores , never was , to much work compared to just funds

three of my favorite reminder quotes

Warren Buffett: “The stock market is a device for transferring money from the impatient to the patient.”

William Bernstein: “You are not as good looking, as charming, or as good a driver as you think you are. The same goes for your investing abilities. In an environment filled with incredibly smart, hard-working, and well-informed participants the smartest trading strategy is not to trade at all.”

Burton Malkiel " ... The indexing strategy is the one I recommend most highly. At least the core of every portfolio ought to be indexed. I recognize, however, that telling most investors that there is no hope of beating the averages is like telling a six year old that there is no Santa Claus. It takes the zing out of life."
Agree, that is why I'm also thinking of getting out of NVDA before the earnings report on the 21st.

I can always get back in.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:07 AM

18,047 posts, read 15,639,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txfriend View Post
Agree, that is why I'm also thinking of getting out of NVDA before the earnings report on the 21st.

I can always get back in.
It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Most people don't think about the shades of gray that form the full spectrum of choices.

Sell some, keep the rest, and see what happens.

Old 02-12-2024, 09:25 AM

2,593 posts, read 2,283,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
It doesn't have to be all or nothing. Most people don't think about the shades of gray that form the full spectrum of choices.

Sell some, keep the rest, and see what happens.
I am keeping mine!

Old 02-12-2024, 10:59 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
But that drop was due to Covid, and the outcome was uncertain. ..... Covid was not a time to jump in and buy, we were much too uncertain of the outcome.
We?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAdvice4U View Post
Covid was a gift horse to investment cycles (and quite well understood as to why). Typical Black Swan, single cause fear adjustment... ("V" shaped recovery)

Excellent time to use excess cash to add LT holds, rebalance, do Roth Rolls.
Like kind / transfer of devalued LT holds from tIRA to Roth locked in significant benefit to non-taxed gains.

Snapshot of investment assets and allocations Dec 2019> Feb 2024 (on my tracking spreadsheet last night). Gives thought to "how-much-is-enough" (for risk management during 50 years of retirement, haven't added additional 'outside $$' to savings in the last 20 years. It's grown ~5x. Systematically will skim off front loaded spending. (During the peaks). Leaving majority growing through most of 2024.

Old 02-12-2024, 11:04 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organic_donna View Post
I am keeping mine!
During my earning years, I paid myself ahead, by sticking highly appreciated gains into DAF as offset to income then, and perpetual gifting now. (Retired).

That has been a big benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing