Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 08:43 AM

5,149 posts, read 3,078,346 times

Advertisements

It’s because brokers are selling you securities they don’t actually own. From Susanne Trimbath, a former insider at the DTCC:

https://youtu.be/SutU5vXcIrs?si=bR4Ad24bT6HMRYmw

At 24 min she says it out loud, retail investors are simps, chattel in what looks like a multi-trillion dollar Ponzi foisted by the big banks and Wall Street firms. Don’t worry though, the music is still playing and even if it stops, that SIPC insurance will protect you…
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 10:16 AM

4,416 posts, read 2,938,422 times
Who cares? Zero commissions started because Robin Hood started 0 commission trades and the major players didn't want to lose customers. They also make interest off money not invested but stored in their accounts just like banks do.

And do you even know the definition of broker?? Apparently not. It's not some conspiracy theory or secret that brokers don't own the securities. They are the middle man connecting buyers and sellers. That's their actual function and purpose.
Broker: a person who buys and sells goods or assets for others.

Last edited by Berteau; 03-14-2024 at 10:46 AM..

Old 03-14-2024, 10:22 AM

4,901 posts, read 3,358,391 times
I've heard similar arguments about the money in your bank accounts can be confiscated in a bank "bail-in" scenario since you are considered an "unsecured depositor."

The same thing can be said about anything bought DIGITALLY, whether that's video games, movies, music, ebooks, etc.

If you can't physically hold it, you don't really own it.

Old 03-14-2024, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
I've heard similar arguments about the money in your bank accounts can be confiscated in a bank "bail-in" scenario since you are considered an "unsecured depositor."

The same thing can be said about anything bought DIGITALLY, whether that's video games, movies, music, ebooks, etc.

False. Money in your bank account is insured by the federal government and of course you really own it. Anything bought digitally is your property. You need better sources. Been getting your information from doomsday preppers?

Last edited by Berteau; 03-14-2024 at 11:02 AM..

Old 03-14-2024, 11:21 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post

I've never heard this before. Sounds conspiracy-ish to me. My money is digital in my bank, doesn't mean it's the bank's money. FDIC insures it up to a certain dollar amount.

Also, if that's true, what about real estate? I don't physically hold it either, does that mean some banker can just take my house?

Old 03-14-2024, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Who cares? Zero commissions started because Robin Hood started 0 commission trades and the major players didn't want to lose customers. They also make interest off money not invested but stored in their accounts just like banks do.

And do you even know the definition of broker?? Apparently not. It's not some conspiracy theory or secret that brokers don't own the securities. They are the middle man connecting buyers and sellers. That's their actual function and purpose.
Broker: a person who buys and sells goods or assets for others.
Disparage the outlet, but don’t bother to understand the message from someone who saw firsthand what was happening at the corporation entrusted to keep everything legit? Continue sleep walking if it makes you happy. Or as they say (in private of course) at DTCC, “you can’t balance the world”.

Old 03-14-2024, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Disparage the outlet, but don’t bother to understand the message from someone who saw firsthand what was happening at the corporation entrusted to keep everything legit? Continue sleep walking if it makes you happy. Or as they say (in private of course) at DTCC, “you can’t balance the world”.
I didn't see any facts in your post. Only misinformation. Learning what a broker is is step 1. Your whole title is total BS and if you would just learn to use google you could have answered your own question.

https://www.investopedia.com/investi...g-whats-catch/
https://centerpointsecurities.com/ho...rs-make-money/

See how easy that was??

Old 03-14-2024, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I didn't see any facts in your post. Only misinformation. Learning what a broker is is step 1. Your whole title is total BS and if you would just learn to use google you could have answered your own question.

https://www.investopedia.com/investi...g-whats-catch/
https://centerpointsecurities.com/ho...rs-make-money/

See how easy that was??
Yes it was too easy lol. From your first link:

”Investors can now trade stocks for free through most brokers. But how do brokerages make money if they’re waiving commissions? A deep dive into the commission-free trading movement reveals various business activities that build profits, sometimes to the disadvantage of clients.”

Rehypothecation occurs in a margin account when the broker-dealer uses an asset—stock securities in this case—as collateral to fulfill their own obligations or interests. In other words, they can fund their own market bets or borrow money from a bank, using your stocks as collateral if things go haywire. This practice tends to work well in quiet times. On the other hand, it can have disastrous consequences when the financial system is under stress.”

When the service is free, the product is you. DTCC and the SEC turn a blind eye to naked shorts, failures to settle, and a host of other malfeasance which are funded by “liquidity” from retail stooges. But hey, anything goes these days.

Old 03-14-2024, 03:12 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post

When the service is free, the product is you. DTCC and the SEC turn a blind eye to naked shorts, failures to settle, and a host of other malfeasance which are funded by “liquidity” from retail stooges. But hey, anything goes these days.

Considering most of the brokers I've seen, being blind to their naked shorts, is probably an advantage.

Could that be why Oedipus blinded himself?

Old 03-14-2024, 03:21 PM

5,475 posts, read 6,294,063 times
Quote:
ehypothecation occurs in a margin account when the broker-dealer uses an asset—stock securities in this case—as collateral to fulfill their own obligations or interests. In other words, they can fund their own market bets or borrow money from a bank, using your stocks as collateral if things go haywire.
Emphasis on “margin account” and “your stocks.” You do realize that when you’re using margin, you’re using money borrowed from the broker, so whatever is in your margin account isn’t really yours to begin with. Simple solution, don’t use margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing