Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2024, 09:14 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,169,630 times

Advertisements

How Do Market Makers Earn a Profit?
Market makers earn a profit through the spread between the securities bid and offer price. Because market makers bear the risk of covering a given security, which may drop in price, they are compensated for this risk of holding the assets. For example, consider an investor who sees that Apple stock has a bid price of $50 and an ask price of $50.10. What this means is that the market maker bought the Apple shares for $50 and is selling them for $50.10, earning a profit of $0.10.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/marketmaker.asp

Question: How could market maker buy Apple share for $50? Nobody wants to sells at $50 (Ask price is $50.10).

My understanding is: the person wants to sell Apple at $50.10 (Ask price), and the person want to buy Apple share at $50 (Bid price), in order to make the deal, market marker has to spend $50.10 to buy Apple from seller then sell it $50 to buyer, therefore, market market loses $0.10, of course it does not make sense. I always thought, if there is "gap" between Bid price and Ask price, then there will be no deal, until someone changes mind to change Bid price or Ask price, e.g. seller is willing to lower Ask price from $50.10 to $50, or buyer is willing to increase Bid price from $50 to $50.10, then order can be executed. I just don't understand how can market marker makes money from price spread.

Last edited by Baike; 03-16-2024 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2024, 11:19 AM

602 posts, read 287,944 times
Its simple. The market maker does not pay the bid/ask spread that customers pay. They obtain shares at the base price and supply them to the markets. You make a faulty assumption though. If the stock's actual price is $50.00 flat, with a .10 cent bid/ask spread, then the bid price would be $49.95 and the ask price $50.05. The market maker profits .05 cents on each buy and sell order initiated by a customer.

Old 03-16-2024, 08:31 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times

Article from Investopedia. A market maker will have an inventory of Apple stock to make trades from. In your example market maker makes $.10 from the trade. There may be commission or other trading fees.

Old 03-17-2024, 03:07 PM

602 posts, read 287,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWoodle View Post

Article from Investopedia. A market maker will have an inventory of Apple stock to make trades from. In your example market maker makes $.10 from the trade. There may be commission or other trading fees.

While you may be correct, the example given seems unlikely. The bid price is usually set below the stock price, while the ask price is set above the stock price. This way the market maker profits on both ends of the trade. Otherwise, if the Bid price and stock price were identical, the market maker would earn zero profit on a trader's sell order. In my experience as a trader, you take a haircut on both ends.

Old 03-21-2024, 07:53 AM

11 posts, read 2,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baike View Post
How Do Market Makers Earn a Profit?
Market makers earn a profit through the spread between the securities bid and offer price. Because market makers bear the risk of covering a given security, which may drop in price, they are compensated for this risk of holding the assets. For example, consider an investor who sees that Apple stock has a bid price of $50 and an ask price of $50.10. What this means is that the market maker bought the Apple shares for $50 and is selling them for $50.10, earning a profit of $0.10.

[URL="https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/marketmaker.asp"]https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/marketmaker.asp[/URL]

Question: How could market maker buy Apple share for $50? Nobody wants to sells at $50 (Ask price is $50.10).

My understanding is: the person wants to sell Apple at $50.10 (Ask price), and the person want to buy Apple share at $50 (Bid price), in order to make the deal, market marker has to spend $50.10 to buy Apple from seller then sell it $50 to buyer, therefore, market market loses $0.10, of course it does not make sense. I always thought, if there is "gap" between Bid price and Ask price, then there will be no deal, until someone changes mind to change Bid price or Ask price, e.g. seller is willing to lower Ask price from $50.10 to $50, or buyer is willing to increase Bid price from $50 to $50.10, then order can be executed. I just don't understand how can market marker makes money from price spread.
I think this view of bid and ask is more static than actual. For example, if there is a sitting bid/ask at $50/$50.1, then someone who does a market buy will buy at $50.1. At the same time, someone who does a market sell woudl be selling at $50. The market maker can sort of match these trades at capture the $0.1, I think
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing