Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:21 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times

Advertisements

Considering the low interest paid on savings accounts it seems to me that it's a better plan to just spend the money on any commodities you can store and sell later. The overvalued stock market and its overpaid brokers is another bad situation. You could even do better investing in junk cars!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 12:21 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
^^

I have two troy ounce silver plates. Might buy a few more

Old 06-07-2008, 02:18 PM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
Copper might be the "best" metal to invest in right now, due to it's still relatively low price (it takes a lot of liquidity to buy significant amounts of glod/silver). Copper is also certainly becoming more scarce.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:43 PM

2,080 posts, read 6,934,255 times
Copper is certainly on the raise, esp in Socal. Theives are taking the stuff from conduits and selling them at a good price. Copper is certainly getting into that "scarce" chapter. Maybe from the American sprawl. But precious medals and commodities are not for the faint of heart. Sure, they're rising. But the innitial sticker shock will drive the less seasoned buyers running. But, hey, try it out. For long term, it's a good investment. Shop around. See what the US and Canadian mint has to offer. I Think the Canadians' gold supply goes through a different process which is more extensive than any other country. But I have been wrong. But they are truly beautiful!

Old 06-07-2008, 02:46 PM

250 posts, read 335,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Considering the low interest paid on savings accounts it seems to me that it's a better plan to just spend the money on any commodities you can store and sell later. The overvalued stock market and its overpaid brokers is another bad situation. You could even do better investing in junk cars!
No idea why an investor would conclude that about stocks, when you can make money as a stock decreases in value. Care to elaborate?

Old 06-07-2008, 03:00 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Back towards were this thread started -- If you are going to be digging and bury anything in your backyard, or elsewhere, make it a seed.

Feed yourself and family and neighbors.

Especially down there in Florida. Food practically pushes itself out of the ground from what I recall.

Food is going up into almost comical levels. Was down at the store today and walking by the produce section. Since I am looking at starting this electric farm project, I have been tracking prices pretty close, and noticed a lot of folks looking things over real close, but no so much loading up and buying.

Some folks that caught my eye -- Old Black couple are looking at the Green Bell Peppers.

Him: Are these what you need?
Her: (looking at list) Yeah, Green Bell Peppers
Him: hmmm, ok, they are a buck forty nine.
Her: (real loud voice) A DOLLAR AND FORTY NICE CENTS FOR A BELL PEPPER ?!?!?
Him: huumm-huh.
Her: We don't need no Bell Pepper for a dollar forty nine, TODAY!

You could hear them over the entire produce section.

Whole section of the store started laughing. Me, too.

Old 06-07-2008, 03:04 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Back towards were this thread started -- If you are going to be digging and bury anything in your backyard, or elsewhere, make it a seed.

Feed yourself and family and neighbors.

Especially down there in Florida. Food practically pushes itself out of the ground from what I recall.

Food is going up into almost comical levels. Was down at the store today and walking by the produce section. Since I am looking at starting this electric farm project, I have been tracking prices pretty close, and noticed a lot of folks looking things over real close, but no so much loading up and buying.

Some folks that caught my eye -- Old Black couple are looking at the Green Bell Peppers.

Him: Are these what you need?
Her: (looking at list) Yeah, Green Bell Peppers
Him: hmmm, ok, they are a buck forty nine.
Her: (real loud voice) A DOLLAR AND FORTY NICE CENTS FOR A BELL PEPPER ?!?!?
Him: huumm-huh.
Her: We don't need no Bell Pepper for a dollar forty nine, TODAY!

You could hear them over the entire produce section.

Whole section of the store started laughing. Me, too.
$4!7 is real!

what is a electrical farm? Will you be incorporating hydroponics?

Old 06-07-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
$4!7 is real!

what is a electrical farm? Will you be incorporating hydroponics?
I think you asked me that before in some thread, but I lost it before I sent a note back. Sorry. Hydroponics are fine by me, but do not have to be the prime feature. Basic idea is take anything that presently uses carbon fuel on a farmstead and power electrically, instead.

Pretty good overview starts here:

The Renewable Electron Economy Part VIII.1: The Electric Farm « Green Thoughts

I joined into the conversation, here:

The Renewable Electron Economy Part VIII.2: The Electric Farm - 2 « Green Thoughts

Michael is still thinking batteries -- I am still thinking line power. No real biggie, if the toys work with one, they will work with the other.

So now I am starting up some prototype equipment. We have 25 acres of fallow farmland out in East Texas for a test site.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:14 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Why not just keep the Diesel tractor and convert it to run on wood gas or just make Diesel from algae? As for home growing of food, I can't. There is no water here and very little available land. Perhaps after I move to a rural area and start a new garden. Florida is an excellent place to grow food as long as you keep the bugs in check.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Why not just keep the Diesel tractor and convert it to run on wood gas or just make Diesel from algae? As for home growing of food, I can't. There is no water here and very little available land. Perhaps after I move to a rural area and start a new garden. Florida is an excellent place to grow food as long as you keep the bugs in check.

For my own taste, wood gas is too toxic -- from Wiki (they have a pretty fair write up on it) >>>

Wood gas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

* Nitrogen N2 50.9%,
* Carbon monoxide CO 27.0%,
* Hydrogen H2 14.0%,
* Carbon dioxide CO2 4.5%,
* Methane CH4 3.0%,
* Oxygen O2 0.6%.

Lethal mix on its own, and my guess would even be potential for Methanol (one carbon alcohol) produced in the process, and that is a severe neurotoxin.

I can handle bunches of electricity very safely, and with well designed protective relaying make it very low risk.

You are correct that algae based bio-diesel is an interesting side, as well, and I am attempting to get coal burning customers to consider it (with very limited results, so far )

But if I were making bio-diesel, I would be inclined to sell it directly rather than burn it as it is now a premium product -- and you know the caution from Scarface -- Don't get high on your own supply.

As things are, I can make electricity fast, cheap and in surplus. It is a difficult product to sell, so I might as well use the surplus electricity to make things (e.g., food, other fuels, etc.) that are easy to sell.

And another plus on electric equipment for me -- I can make, rebuild, and maintain electrical driven equipment for much less cost and effort than Internal Combustion Engines (ICE) of any sort, and ownership costs are about 1/10 of ICE equipment.

Back towards your environs -- were I still in South Florida, and interested in plants, etc -- I would be looking at rooftops. Acres and acres (and acres and acres) of flat roof tops all over the area from what I recall (did some A/C work back in the day, down there). Grocery stores, movie theaters, big box stores, on and on.

Maybe look at a concept called "Green Roof." They provide shade and evaporative cooling for the building underneath them. I would bet with some shopping around, you may be able to get some "free" roof space for a pretty good sided spread.

Just curious -- can get or use canal water for plant irrigation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing