Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 08:49 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times

Advertisements

I bought some non-div stocks when the dow was on it's high 11,000's, but sold most of them already. Most of them were gambles, so I barely broke even.
However, I also grabbed a lot of dividend stocks (PFE, INTC, NUE, JNJ, T & MSFT) when the DOW dropped below 11k so now I'm riding high on those purchases. I'm considering keeping them as I like the quarterly dividends and seem like good long term investments but I'm also tempted to sell everything now, as I do believe sh*t might hit the fan pretty soon (war against Iran, oil prices, presidential politics, etc) and this might be the right time just walk away with all the profits. I can always do this all over again once the DOW is low again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 09:41 AM

674 posts, read 1,155,631 times
Yes. I agree with you. What ever goes up, has to come down. We will get correction by end of April. I think Israeli will start some thing with Iran by then. After November we will be in war. History will repeat itself.
PressTV - Israel will strike Iran in November or after US elections: Report

I don't have any power what will happen in Iran or Israel but we have to figure out how to make money in the market. :-)

Old 03-14-2012, 09:47 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,856,202 times
to hard to predict. infact i always say history never repeats itself , the only thing that repeats itself is historians.

each time things play out just different enough to cause different outcomes, just like we saw when we invaded iraq.

we plunged the first time we attacked them when they invaded kwait.

we soared the next time when we attacked them again.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,961,922 times
What was your goal when you first purchased these stocks? I'm sure a correction will happen eventually, maybe in a month, maybe in 12 months. I dont see it being anything too major that will make me sell what I've designated as my long term holds.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:14 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Israel is not gonna do anything stupid. It's mere sabre-rattling. BRIC holds way too much sway right now to let anything happen with Israel and Iran. If they attack, it only justifies Iran's need for nukes and it would be quite the way for Israel to shoot herself in the foot. In a changing world of Arab springs and more conservative governments forming all over the Arab world (yes, big surprise, those deposed dictators kept the muslim brotherhood in check), it will start an arms race amongst Egypt, Libya, Syria etc., an Israeli attack is what every one of these states needs to justify a nuke arsenal, in the eyes of emerging economies like China, India, Brazil and Russia which are more sympathetic to the Palestinian cause.

The real problem is Europe and the elephant has been put in the corner of the room for obviously the US elections. That's not too hard to decipher. Eventually, some money has to go into the bailout package from America via the IMF and it's not too big of a favour to do, just to pipe things down Greece-side for the interim.

Once elections are out of the way, sovereign debt will dominate the markets for the rest of this decade. It's just inevitable and it's uncontainable cancer.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
No one has a clear crystal ball. If you market timed and won this time, good for you.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:08 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
The DOW will go up untill Obama get re-elected. Thats Wall Streets' thank you for not enacting reforms.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:29 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
People and their endless risk aversion. Markets go up and keep going up well past 52 week highs with regularity. Of course they eventually correct but if you get your mindset right i shouldnt be a big problem. The market had a real good fakeout last week as some just couldnt wait for a correction and one bad day convinced them it was here. Corrections are multiple day sell offs into rising volume. Sure waiting for confirmation may lose a few percent from the top, but get serious with yourself and ask how many tops and bottoms in the market have you perfectly called?

Old 03-14-2012, 06:42 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,872,854 times
I'm no financial advisor, but the best thing we do is hold on and sit still. It has served us well. It was tempting to pull out when the market tanked, but if you have the stomach for it, it is good to wait for a rebound. They usually do come.

Old 03-14-2012, 07:03 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I like to hold what I manage for long periods. So I guess I "hold on and sit still" as well. I have aggressive hedge fund investments and let the professionals there "play" the markets for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing