Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

19 year old seeking advice on: money market investment, investing online, business classes, municipal bonds, financial independent.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 07:34 PM

5 posts, read 10,534 times

Advertisements

I recently saved 10k and I would like to invest my money to earn as much compound interest as possible. I will be be putting at least 1k a year, hopefully more, in what ever investment I make. I would just like to be able to obtain some of the knowledge that my elders have to give so I can make the most out of my investments. I want something for the longterm somewhere around 15 - 20 years or higher but preferbly 20 ish. I am going to bootcamp and trying to make sure i have a secure future.

Also any advice to articles to read or website recommndations i would appreciate because knowledge is power =)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 08:46 PM

231 posts, read 631,567 times
A portfolio should have equities, both US and foreign, bonds of various types and cash. The only difference would be the asset class percentages would change as you age. The goal would be to have enough cash to provide for about two years of living expenses when you retire. Have enough bonds to provide a replacement for the cash draw and use the equities to provide dividends to grow the bonds. If you want to learn investments, start with a class that teaches investment fundamentals and analysis. Look at Kaplan's CFP prep class. Will cost you $$ but will pay back in knowledge big time. Don't rely on Google or other Web sites. You will not learn enough to know what you don't know.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 PM

20,184 posts, read 23,925,526 times
Investing is a bad idea right now unless you like shorts and understand the difference between funds... if I were you, I might look at CDs until the market shows some kind of recovery... sure there are good performing funds, but you aren't going to follow the market day-to-day and don't have the knowledge therefore, you will likely lose your shirt if you try to play it...

Old 03-02-2009, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnellen View Post
A portfolio should have equities, both US and foreign, bonds of various types and cash. The only difference would be the asset class percentages would change as you age. The goal would be to have enough cash to provide for about two years of living expenses when you retire. Have enough bonds to provide a replacement for the cash draw and use the equities to provide dividends to grow the bonds. If you want to learn investments, start with a class that teaches investment fundamentals and analysis. Look at Kaplan's CFP prep class. Will cost you $$ but will pay back in knowledge big time. Don't rely on Google or other Web sites. You will not learn enough to know what you don't know.
I see, right now thats all I have since I have bootcamp coming up. I hope they have classes for investing in the military but if now i always got the good ol' MGBILL. But I just want to gain what i can now. The one thing I know that is worth more than money is TIME and im trying not waste it.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:28 PM

231 posts, read 631,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdlike View Post
The one thing I know that is worth more than money is TIME and im trying not waste it.
Glad you understand this as so many young people do not, my kids included. Instead of CDs which may lock you into a set period, think about a MM and corporate bonds. The returns will likely be higher and you will have more flexibility. Of course, if your boot camp was like mind, then having the time or ability to monitor investments will not exist. Good luck with boot camp and your investments.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnellen View Post
Glad you understand this as so many young people do not, my kids included. Instead of CDs which may lock you into a set period, think about a MM and corporate bonds. The returns will likely be higher and you will have more flexibility. Of course, if your boot camp was like mind, then having the time or ability to monitor investments will not exist. Good luck with boot camp and your investments.
Thanks, I deffinatily take a look into mm and bonds as well as cd's and try to understand chose which is best.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,534 times
Look here man. The US dollar is going to collapse, so just get out of dollars! Invest overseas, in Canada, in gold or silver, gold and silver miners, or commodities of any kind.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 AM

1,402 posts, read 3,509,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gawdlike View Post
I recently saved 10k and I would like to invest my money to earn as much compound interest as possible. I will be be putting at least 1k a year, hopefully more, in what ever investment I make. I would just like to be able to obtain some of the knowledge that my elders have to give so I can make the most out of my investments. I want something for the longterm somewhere around 15 - 20 years or higher but preferbly 20 ish. I am going to bootcamp and trying to make sure i have a secure future.

Also any advice to articles to read or website recommndations i would appreciate because knowledge is power =)

My only advice would be to NOT assume your "elders" know what they are talking about!!! Lots of people have lost lots of money (sometimes their whole life's saving) by investing in something just because someone told them to.

Educate yourself in money, investing and decide for YOURSELF how and where to invest your money.

Finally, take what people on this board with a grain of salt. Everyone here has their own investments and are therefore biased on their recommendations.

Just FYI

Old 03-03-2009, 09:49 AM

17,029 posts, read 31,019,011 times
Educate yourself is the best investment. I have been buying the last few months as I had a bit of cash saved up. With that said I have been getting my $%^ handed to me. They say dont try to catch falling knives. CD rates are low but they pay something. I would put at least half in 3 month CDs right now.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:11 AM

2,402 posts, read 5,254,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill View Post
My only advice would be to NOT assume your "elders" know what they are talking about!!! Lots of people have lost lots of money (sometimes their whole life's saving) by investing in something just because someone told them to.

Educate yourself in money, investing and decide for YOURSELF how and where to invest your money.

Finally, take what people on this board with a grain of salt. Everyone here has their own investments and are therefore biased on their recommendations.

Just FYI
What he said! Do NOT invest out of panic or pressure or a "once in a lifetime opportunity". Put your money in CDs, high rate bank accts or for ultimate safety (but no yield) Treasury Bills. In the near term the dollar looks strong so hoard your cash. Cash is king in a depression. In the long run the prospects for the dollar are bleak and I think commodities (esp. gold, oil, siver) will come roaring back 1-3 years down the line but that is risky speculation. My fav analyst is Martin Weiss (Money and Markets).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing