Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 02:00 PM

2,344 posts, read 2,692,807 times

Advertisements

I invest for income. I used to call myself a Dividend Growth Investor, but these days about 25% of my portfolio is in investments that are not expected to increase their dividends much at all.

These are usually in CEF's that pay a higher yield or fixed income that pay a decent amount and are more stable. (for example I dipped my toes into Baby Bonds a little).

At this stage of life I am not tapping into the income. It essentially all gets reinvested (either automatically or manually), which of course produces more income. (I do have some stocks I'm over allocated in and I take those in cash, and then purchase other stocks). When I start to tap it, I will simply use the income. Not tap into principle. I won't even use all of the income. I'll still reinvest at least 25% so that the income keeps increasing even in "distribution phase".

My increases are usually about $130 or so a month which means about $1,500 in income increase over the course of the year. So if you have $10,000 income now, in 3 years you have almost $15,000 in income.

My goal is $1,000 a year (which I've been exceeding). If every year I have $1,000 more income then when I started I'll be a happy camper.

In September my income increased by $102. October we picked up $141. I invested my dry powder in November when income stocks went on sale so my income jumped $275. I expected December to be about $75 unless I got a dividend increase.

But luckily I did get a dividend increase from HASI (an energy REIT), so we ended up with an increase of $106 ($1,272 annual rate). For the calendar year we ended up with an increase of about $1,500. So a very successful year.

We also got some special year end dividends from some of our CEF's. Since they are special (not consistent) they don't directly add to income but since they are reinvested into more stock and that adds slightly more income.

Income investing is not for everyone. But if you are interested, ask. If you want to argue, I'll ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2017, 02:32 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,567,539 times
Quote:
It essentially all gets reinvested (either automatically or manually)
so how is it different than a stock that grows but pays no dividend?

Old 01-01-2017, 02:40 AM

106,974 posts, read 109,241,493 times
ssssssh , don't spoil the thread with facts . you can read all his other threads to find out why in his mind it is different . we beat this to death already with him . if he believes it is different ,then just let him believe it .

Old 01-01-2017, 10:30 AM

6,635 posts, read 7,372,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newporttom View Post
I invest for income. I used to call myself a Dividend Growth Investor, but these days about 25% of my portfolio is in investments that are not expected to increase their dividends much at all.

These are usually in CEF's that pay a higher yield or fixed income that pay a decent amount and are more stable. (for example I dipped my toes into Baby Bonds a little).

At this stage of life I am not tapping into the income. It essentially all gets reinvested (either automatically or manually), which of course produces more income. (I do have some stocks I'm over allocated in and I take those in cash, and then purchase other stocks). When I start to tap it, I will simply use the income. Not tap into principle. I won't even use all of the income. I'll still reinvest at least 25% so that the income keeps increasing even in "distribution phase".

My increases are usually about $130 or so a month which means about $1,500 in income increase over the course of the year. So if you have $10,000 income now, in 3 years you have almost $15,000 in income.

My goal is $1,000 a year (which I've been exceeding). If every year I have $1,000 more income then when I started I'll be a happy camper.

In September my income increased by $102. October we picked up $141. I invested my dry powder in November when income stocks went on sale so my income jumped $275. I expected December to be about $75 unless I got a dividend increase.

But luckily I did get a dividend increase from HASI (an energy REIT), so we ended up with an increase of $106 ($1,272 annual rate). For the calendar year we ended up with an increase of about $1,500. So a very successful year.

We also got some special year end dividends from some of our CEF's. Since they are special (not consistent) they don't directly add to income but since they are reinvested into more stock and that adds slightly more income.

Income investing is not for everyone. But if you are interested, ask. If you want to argue, I'll ignore it.
I agree with you that I like getting dividends as opposed to selling shares of stock. We can argue that growth investing for total return is better in dollars and cents, but I still like not selling shares for day to day income. Especially when we hit a few years of a recession.

Old 01-01-2017, 11:45 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,567,539 times
still not following you

a share is $100, pays $0.25 so is worth $99.75. Reinvested, it is still worth $100... except a little less because you paid taxes on that $0.25 before reinvesting it

what's wrong with selling a share? It's just a number to track $ amounts, the "number" doesn't mean anything, it's what it represents that does

with a mutual fund and fractional shares, if you need $X, you can take out exactly $x, with shares, you round to the nearest approximate whole share when selling/buying. But dividends aren't "exact" either.

Old 01-01-2017, 12:04 PM

106,974 posts, read 109,241,493 times
it is such a simple concept ,yet so many either don't understand it or choose not to understand it .

Old 01-01-2017, 01:27 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,800,019 times
People put blinder on because it's too painful otherwise.

Old 01-01-2017, 01:44 PM

13,101 posts, read 7,571,203 times
2015 and 2016 I was primarily a dividend investor. The trouble was stocks that paid divs made big up jumps that made trading more profitable than the divs. So I sold and waited and looked for other investments. And then they dropped (FOMC rate increase threats) so I got back-in. Then they rose quickly and I sold again. I am cautiously buying again. I may do more CEF, but the spreads are big .

I am thinking.

Retired, Discretionary accts in IRA and Roth.

Old 01-01-2017, 02:46 PM

5,342 posts, read 6,179,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
still not following you

a share is $100, pays $0.25 so is worth $99.75. Reinvested, it is still worth $100... except a little less because you paid taxes on that $0.25 before reinvesting it

what's wrong with selling a share? It's just a number to track $ amounts, the "number" doesn't mean anything, it's what it represents that does

with a mutual fund and fractional shares, if you need $X, you can take out exactly $x, with shares, you round to the nearest approximate whole share when selling/buying. But dividends aren't "exact" either.
Why do people automatically assume you pay taxes on dividends? I get dividends from funds I own in my Roth and Traditional IRAs and I never pay taxes on the dividends. Also if you have a HH Taxable income under $75k you don't pay taxes on LTCGs or qualified dividends that are in taxable brokerage accounts.

Old 01-01-2017, 03:26 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,800,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzourah2006 View Post
Why do people automatically assume you pay taxes on dividends? I get dividends from funds I own in my Roth and Traditional IRAs and I never pay taxes on the dividends. Also if you have a HH Taxable income under $75k you don't pay taxes on LTCGs or qualified dividends that are in taxable brokerage accounts.
It goes without saying in Roth and Traditional IRAs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing