U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 42,258 times

Advertisements

I have been trading stocks with Etrade for few years now. Recently I have applied for level 2 options with them ,and I was denied. According to their Rep it is because I didn't answer "correctly" their questions. Does anyone knows what kind of experience one should have and what should be the account objectives in order to qualify for the level 2. I'm aware of all the risk involve in trading options
Thank you,
Kobi
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 06:47 PM

9,101 posts, read 15,619,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobooption View Post
I have been trading stocks with Etrade for few years now. Recently I have applied for level 2 options with them ,and I was denied. According to their Rep it is because I didn't answer "correctly" their questions. Does anyone knows what kind of experience one should have and what should be the account objectives in order to qualify for the level 2. I'm aware of all the risk involve in trading options
Thank you,
Kobi
ThinkorSwim will let you do anything you want. I'd open up a ToS account and use that for your options trading. That is what I do.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:22 AM

975 posts, read 1,671,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobooption View Post
Thank you,
Kobi
Never had this experience but your objectives should be short term gains.

Also, when you say level 2, do you mean level 2 quotes? I have no idea why you couldn't get that, but I have a feeling you mean something else. I'm not familar with Etrade anymore because quite frankly they suck, but thats another story.

Also, you may need (this is a guess) 25K and pattern daytrader status.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:59 PM

7,688 posts, read 27,753,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traderx View Post
Never had this experience but your objectives should be short term gains.

Also, when you say level 2, do you mean level 2 quotes? I have no idea why you couldn't get that, but I have a feeling you mean something else. I'm not familar with Etrade anymore because quite frankly they suck, but thats another story.

Also, you may need (this is a guess) 25K and pattern daytrader status.
Level 2 is just buying and selling options. With Level 1 all you can do is write covered calls. Level 3 adds writing naked puts and a few other specialized strategies.

You don't need margin or daytrader status to trade options. But E*Trade in particular wants you to get Level 1 status and use it before they give you Level 2 status, which is kind of challenging for a novice since it typically requires thousands of dollars to buy enough stock to write covered calls.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:46 PM

706 posts, read 1,245,203 times
I am having the same problem. Just want to buy some calls/puts. Any recommendations for a newbie? Playing with a very small amount of money-2k tops.

Old 05-18-2011, 05:55 PM

12,983 posts, read 18,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshawg1 View Post
I am having the same problem. Just want to buy some calls/puts. Any recommendations for a newbie? Playing with a very small amount of money-2k tops.
I am with Schwab and I know some people who use Trade King and levels 1-2-3-4 mean different things.

Schwab only has 3 levels.
1. covered calls or puts
2. naked puts if cash secured, spreads, straddles,
3. naked calls

I do not remember about long calls or puts, they may be in level 1.
------------------------
Trade King had 4 levels.

The most basic option use is covered calls against stock you already own, or long calls or puts you purchase. If you are wrong on the timing and the direction, you can lose 100%.

What type trades are you wanting to be approved for?

Old 05-18-2011, 05:57 PM

12,983 posts, read 18,030,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
since it typically requires thousands of dollars to buy enough stock to write covered calls.
This is an issue. My nephew has about $6,000 and he just has trouble getting enough shares. To sell one covered call option is tough unless your stock has a high beta.

Old 09-30-2016, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 11,797 times
My husband has an etrade account and has just been diagnosed by the VA as an addicted gambler. He has spent over $100,000 in various way and has been spending it from the retirement account. We are not wealthy people. How can I stop this in etrade?

Old 09-30-2016, 02:39 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,734,172 times
This should have been in a new thread.

It's a strange topic. It might better have been posted in the Mental Health forum.

Did you call eTrade? ( Is his retirement account with eTrade? )

Did you talk to a lawyer? Does the VA have lawyers?

It really sounds like it might be a legal issue regarding competence.

< or >

It might be a legal issue regarding whether you should stay married to someone who is taking you to the "Poor House."

It has nothing to do with investing.

I hate to see this happen. I have and it's not pretty. I've seen someone make over a million $$$ in the 1980s, lose it and do it again in the 1990s. They went bankrupt in the following decade. A million $$$ was plenty to retire on in the 1980s.

Old 09-30-2016, 02:46 PM

2,532 posts, read 2,062,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Pennington View Post
My husband has an etrade account and has just been diagnosed by the VA as an addicted gambler. He has spent over $100,000 in various way and has been spending it from the retirement account. We are not wealthy people. How can I stop this in etrade?
I'm very sorry to hear this. Something similar happened to a co-worker of mine. His lawyer advised him to get a divorce, which he did. I suggest you speak to a lawyer.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>