Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 01:06 AM

764 posts, read 1,557,122 times

Advertisements

Everybody is talking about the safest way to invest, but thats boring. How about instead high risk and high yield investments. I'm interested in junk bonds. Junk bonds have high interest rates because those companies have poor credit, which is why they are high risk. When bonds do default, the bond holder, on average, gets 70% of their money back, which may be 0% to 100% depending. So if they are purchased very cheap, below 70 cents on the dollar, a person can make money by defaulting. Is that right? Let me hear your opinions on junk bonds and also any other ideas for high risk high yield investments. Thanks for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 04:55 AM

3,773 posts, read 5,323,392 times
High-yield bond funds would give you some diversification and lower the overall risk of investing in junk bonds. I am liking my only bond fund (a closed-end fund, sovereign bonds, e.g., Korea, Brazil, Indonesia, Sweden, Turkey) as it has a nice 5.3% yield and covers a broad swath of countries, some emerging market, some established.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:29 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,317,847 times
For a 5.3% return, I'd rather stick to MLPs

Checkup on MLPs

Master Limited Partnership (MLP) Definition | Investing Answers

My favorite is APU (Amerigas).

Old 04-04-2010, 11:26 AM

5,475 posts, read 6,296,558 times
Quote:
For a 5.3% return, I'd rather stick to MLPs
That's right - MLPs can be a nice income producing investment. I like LINE and EVEP. Take a look at a few of the REITs too - NLY and HTS for example. The dividend yield is ridiculous, although that may change when interest rates begin to rise. Do your due diligence, but IMO,these are all great long term income producing investment that will yield higher than 5.3%with less risk.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:01 PM

764 posts, read 1,557,122 times
I didn't know about MLP's, thanks for the tip.

Old 04-04-2010, 03:12 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,317,847 times
Also, well-priced blue-chip stocks can give you nice yields which are taxed at 15%

Old 04-09-2010, 04:01 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,147,120 times
If you're looking for high risk and high payoffs, you need leverage. Options give you a lot of leverage. Buying long positions on options can have huge payoffs, but the risk is also tremendous, as if they expire worthless, as a huge number of options do every month, then your entire investment is gone. Short options are a little less dangerous, as there's no way to lose 100% of your investment (as long as it's not a naked call/put); however, the maximum you can earn is also severely capped. If you do a lot of short-term short options trades and they all work, you can make very large returns; however, it only takes one botched one to set you back severely.

Old 04-09-2010, 04:24 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,234,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
If you're looking for high risk and high payoffs, you need leverage. Options give you a lot of leverage. Buying long positions on options can have huge payoffs, but the risk is also tremendous, as if they expire worthless, as a huge number of options do every month, then your entire investment is gone. Short options are a little less dangerous, as there's no way to lose 100% of your investment (as long as it's not a naked call/put); however, the maximum you can earn is also severely capped. If you do a lot of short-term short options trades and they all work, you can make very large returns; however, it only takes one botched one to set you back severely.
If your looking for high leverage, you cannot get any higher than spot forex. It used to be 400:1, but even since the NFA capped it at 100 it is still insanely high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing