Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2009, 05:18 PM

811 posts, read 1,741,331 times

Advertisements

smSmallBiz.com | Hedge Funds: The Other Small Business Lender (http://www.smsmallbiz.com/capital/Hedge_Funds_The_Other_Small_Business_Lender.html - broken link)

Just a short article about the Govt. trying to regulate the hedge fund industry and limit their investment strategies and options.

In college I did some research into hedge funds and I agree with those like Alan Greenspan that hedge funds do serve a purpose in the market. In my opinion they help keep prices honest by being able to short sell and bet against upward movement. There are obviously people willing to accept the amount of risk hedge funds bring with themselves or else they would have become so successful.

In my opinion if there is gonna be regulation brought about, I'd rather see it with the process for investors entering a hedge fund. I don't mind the process becoming stricter to make sure that investors truly understand the risks of their respective hedge funds. But lets not eliminate something that the market wants and has a place for.

What do you guys think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 07:24 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,761,487 times
I understand why: "helping keep prices honest by being able to short sell and bet against upward movement" is necessary and good.

Going along with this logic, I don't understand why this characteristic is considered to be limited to hedge funds. Seems that anyone can sell short.

I also do not understand how this line of thought justifies their opaqueness or the lack of regulations for them.

Old 07-20-2009, 07:26 AM

392 posts, read 1,554,366 times
I think the government should only regulate three things concerning hedge funds.
  1. They should require them to register for the sake of transparency. When the markets were in danger of freezing up last year, rumors were flying about one mysterious hedge fund or another being in trouble. Regulators were left guessing on what was really wrong, and so they could do nothing, or worse, aggravate the problem using misinformation.
  2. They should increase the restrictions on who can invest in hedge funds. Hedge funds were always supposed to be for those people or institutions that already knew what they were doing, but over the years, these restrictions were relaxed. It should be kept restrictive.
  3. When a hedge fund's positions grow big enough, relative to whatever markets they are working with, to freeze things up should they need to unwind, then their leverage restrictions should increase gradually. It was leverage that caused the blowups to be so impressive and destructive. Of course, decreasing a funds flexibility during rough patches can be a problem in of itself.
I don't like the idea of restricting what hedge funds can invest in, or how they can invest. I'm not convinced these type of restrictions are effective, and they can backfire. I wonder how many mutual funds were forced to ride the markets down because they were restricted in the types of positions they could take. I've never understood why the lack of flexibility is considered to be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing