Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 06:50 PM

68 posts, read 163,567 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to take about a grand and put it into the stock market to play with. I don't know much about Share Builder but is it a good place to start trading stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,250,342 times
I don't think you can go wrong with Scottrade. ShareBuilder is not exactly for trading, which is what you want to do. I advise against trading btw, but I think Scottrade is still better for investing.

Ratings | J.D. Power

ShareBuilder is #2, not too bad I guess.

Online Brokerage Comparison – The Right Discount Brokerage Firm for Online Trading - Scottrade

$0 fees were fees should be $0.

Pricing & Rates

$75??? To transfer out? Costs $0 for Scottrade. Scott's what I got and it is very highly sought

Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 PM

2,168 posts, read 3,388,336 times
I use it and have been pleased so far. There was a time when Sharebuilder's networks were being overloaded causing the site to go down, but that has been resolved and it works fine now. Sharebuilder's biggest draw are the $4 automatic trades every Tuesday (a price that I don't think any other online broker meets).

Old 07-31-2009, 04:39 PM

5,481 posts, read 6,307,209 times
I've used Sharebuilder for the last 8 months and have never had any problems at all. Love it. I do not recommend it if you are going to be doing active trading (lots of buy and sell). Sharebuilder charges $9.95 for real time trades, which is a bit high. I don't trade a lot, so I just use the $4.00 automatic buy plan, which is cheap for me. If you plan to activly trade, shop around, you can get a better deal than Sharebuilder. Good luck!

Old 07-31-2009, 05:09 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,039,173 times
NOT a trading account, but if a "balanced fund" is acceptable consider the Vanguard Star Fund.

"Vanguard charges a $20 annual account service fee for each Vanguard fund with a balance of less than $10,000 in an account. This fee does not apply if you sign up for account access on Vanguard.com and choose electronic delivery of statements, confirmations, fund reports, and prospectuses."

Old 08-03-2009, 11:01 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,592 times
I don't mean to discourage you but $1K is a bit short to "play" in the market. Most brokerages require buys in round lots of 100 shares (there may be ways to purchase odd lots but I suspect it would be more costly, I've never done it and have no knowledge thereof). With 1K in capital you're very, very limited in the securities you could buy. I'm no expert but I don't think many brokerages will even open an account at that level. Yes, major companies were down to very low values but don't count on that continuing. A grand really limits your opportunities. If this is essentially a play money account, you might want to look at my favorite area (after you've educated yourself) - selling covered calls as an alternative to straight equities. I'm not familiar with the minimum account balance necessary to open an account, something you will have to research. I've had excellent service with a company called Options Xpress. As in all investment areas, you do need to seriously do your homework and become educated about whatever area of the markets you want to invest or speculate in, ignorance is very expensive. I strongly suggest that you first run a "proxy account" before do anything for real. By proxy I mean you pretend to have made an investment/speculative buy and then track how your assumptions play out. Its good way to learn the ropes without risk. A word of serious advice - don't ever play with money you can't afford to literately burn. Investing and speculating can be a great deal of fun but never risk your "necessity funds". JMO. Good luck.

Last edited by Pilgrim21784; 08-03-2009 at 11:30 PM..

Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 AM

879 posts, read 1,962,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
Most brokerages require buys in round lots of 100 shares (there may be ways to purchase odd lots but I suspect it would be more costly, I've never done it and have no knowledge thereof).
That's not true these days. Most, if not all, brokerages now allow trading in odd lots and there's no extra cost. Also, several brokerages have account minimums of $1000 or less.

But I agree that, with a $1000 account, commissions will be a factor.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:45 PM

Good to know LongArm, thanks for the info. I'm used to buying round lots in stocks because covered calls are only issued in 100 units, at least with my broker.

Old 08-04-2009, 05:55 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise View Post
NOT a trading account, but if a "balanced fund" is acceptable consider the Vanguard Star Fund.

"Vanguard charges a $20 annual account service fee for each Vanguard fund with a balance of less than $10,000 in an account. This fee does not apply if you sign up for account access on Vanguard.com and choose electronic delivery of statements, confirmations, fund reports, and prospectuses."
I was going to recommend the same fund. It's one of the best funds to get started with if you have $1,000.

I generally think trading is a great way to lose money. It's fine if you put a small amount of 'mad money' aside for that purpose, but most people don't do that.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:19 AM

sticaltygmyer- I'd have to agree with you regarding active trading for a non-professional. My experience in active trading was generally non-productive (strictly mad money, of course). I migrated to the area of selling covered calls on a select group of high quality companies and have found it to be a nice way to turn a modest profit. These have been very good times to take positions in great companies, hold for the long term and do the covered sale gig. JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Investing