U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:57 AM

1,005 posts, read 2,501,799 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to Iowa City this week and have been in shock by the absence of certain stores I find in various locations in my city. For example, there is no urbanoutfitters at all in the state of Iowa, not even the college towns. Though my largest suprise is being unable to find a health food store, in Iowa City I find a complete absence where one can buy natural products etc... I recently was seeing where I could purchase pure soap works (The Soap Works) in the city and none of their products ( popular in my state) are found in the city or within 100 miles.
What type of stores are array in Iowa City, where can I find these products and with urbanoutfitters example what major clothing places are also not present? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 01:04 PM

586 posts, read 1,984,744 times
We mostly shop at Farm & Supply stores and Pamida Discount centers. No Dolce & Gabanna can be found at either of these places though. You'll need to drive to Dubuque to find the real high end shopping.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:36 PM

11,289 posts, read 23,038,040 times
Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the New Pioneer Coop in Iowa City and Coralville were actually reviewed to be some of the best natural/whole food places around. It's a full service large grocery store, and I've only heard great things about the place.

Isn't there a few Bloomingfood stores as well, and organic and natural food sections in all the Hy-Vee grocery stores? Iowa City is all hippy liberal about stuff like that - you can't possibly say there are NO options. This website lists 15 options in the area:

http://localdirectory.kcrg.com/iowa-...stores.zq.html

The Soap Opera downtown would probably have decent soaps and products.

Urban Outfitters is kinda random, and no there isn't one in Iowa City. I'd just go to Coral Ridge and check out the stores......

Stores in the area:

Abercrombie and Fitch
Old Navy
Gap
American Eagle
Hollister
Ragstock
Aeropostale
Banana Republic
Express
Eddie Bauer
Hot Topic
Journey's
blah blah blah blah....

Then you've got all your Wal-Marts, Khol's, Dillars, Penny's, Target, etc.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:40 PM

2,209 posts, read 3,710,986 times
Go online for Urban Outfitters, or a thrift store, lol. pretty much the same thing.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:02 PM

681 posts, read 2,809,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
I will be relocating to Iowa City this week and have been in shock by the absence of certain stores I find in various locations in my city. For example, there is no urbanoutfitters at all in the state of Iowa, not even the college towns. Though my largest suprise is being unable to find a health food store, in Iowa City I find a complete absence where one can buy natural products etc... I recently was seeing where I could purchase pure soap works (The Soap Works) in the city and none of their products ( popular in my state) are found in the city or within 100 miles.
What type of stores are array in Iowa City, where can I find these products and with urbanoutfitters example what major clothing places are also not present? Thanks.
For health food/natural products try New Pioneer Coop. (two locations, IC and Coralville on the strip).

For soap, try The Soap Opera downtown on the Ped Mall.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the replies,

I wasn't just talking about natural food but also just products in general like the pure soap works products.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
Go online for Urban Outfitters, or a thrift store, lol. pretty much the same thing.
Well I know some of urbanoutfitters clothes may look like you can find at a thrift store but as many imply about thrift stores urbanoutfitter does have nice options of clothes. I mostly pointed out urbanoutfitters for an example of stores that are not found not only in Iowa City but the entire state. Where I currently reside you can find urbanoutfitters throughout malls and the downtown section of a major big ten university.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:11 PM

413 posts, read 1,568,357 times
Just skimming the Urban Outfitters location list, it appears they are almost entirely located in metros with over a million people. It may surprise you,(?) but Iowa doesn't have any of those. The 150k in the Iowa City metro or even 300,000+ in "the corridor" are a long way from a million.

Old 08-17-2010, 12:00 AM

2,209 posts, read 3,710,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timeofseasons View Post
Well I know some of urbanoutfitters clothes may look like you can find at a thrift store but as many imply about thrift stores urbanoutfitter does have nice options of clothes. I mostly pointed out urbanoutfitters for an example of stores that are not found not only in Iowa City but the entire state. Where I currently reside you can find urbanoutfitters throughout malls and the downtown section of a major big ten university.
Yeah I shop there too, lol. I was just being a smart ass.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:10 AM

11,289 posts, read 23,038,040 times
I think Urban Outfitters is just one of those random stores that randomly isn't in Iowa City or mayyyyybe Des Moines (based on their list of locations those seem to be the only two possibilities. They're in a lot of college towns or large metro areas).

I wouldn't let that be a benchmark of what stores are or are not in Iowa City. You should be fine, most large chain stores are in the Iowa City area. Especially after Coral Ridge Mall opened 12 years ago with their 6 anchors, 110 stores and all that development that feeds off a large mall, Bennigans, Chili's, Khols, Pier One, etc. etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or