U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:31 AM

681 posts, read 2,808,478 times

Advertisements

According to 2006 estimates (since now I am really looking things up ) Coralville and IC together are up around 80k, North Liberty is now around 10k. Add in to that the little towns around both counties, plus the un-incorporated areas (such as, say, all around Lake MacBride) and Washington with another 10k-ish...

I was surprised too, but it all adds up!

Gazette Online: Iowa Census Data: Search By County, City, Population Size
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 01:43 PM

100 posts, read 497,407 times
Washington Co. is ~20K, so take that out, and you're down to 120,000 for Johnson Co. At the 2000 census, Johnson was officially at 111,000. Minus the 77,000, and you're at 34,000, which is plausible. Dubuque County (where I live) had 89,000+ at census time. The city was 57,000, and the rest of the county was 32,000. Many rural Iowa counties have between 20-30,000 people. Its just IC & Coralville that push it up, plus developed areas that are not within city limits. We have many such unincorporated, yet developed, places here.

Old 06-30-2007, 12:17 AM

1,903 posts, read 7,372,170 times
Wikipedia has a strange conception of metro areas. The figures for the cities of midstate Illinois are all inflated.

I've been to all the Big Ten university campuses except Minnesota, and can't figure out why people want to live out on the bus line near the cornfield.
College town bus systems aren't a thrill or anything.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:47 AM

3,376 posts, read 12,230,400 times
M Type X...what cornfields? I don't recall big corn fields in IC or Coralville by the mall I remember that one gas station off Dubuque St right before it stopped at the ped mall area, and they had a few stalks of corn in the parking lot that everyone got a kick out of. That about sums up the "farmness" of IC.

And I must say, I don't know about the regular city bus system, but the UI bus system (the Cambus) was phenomenal. I don't know what I would have done for years without it. I can't imagine the city bus system is scary or horrible compared to the Cambus.

Old 07-01-2007, 05:47 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,372,170 times
Cornfields for Illinois, weeds for most other states in the Upper Midwest. You know what I mean ... wild bush!

Are houses/apartments in downtown Iowa City really all that bad?
I suppose if I was a family man, I would consider some of that sprawl out near the western beltway (Avenue of the Saints?) that all looks very new. As a student, something more central and not dependent on bus service is more appealing, both of which were key selling points for the university where I went to undergrad, and where I am now at grad school.

If I wanted to 'commute,' I would have kept my job in suburban Akron!

Old 07-03-2007, 11:52 AM

3,376 posts, read 12,230,400 times
No, houses in downtown IC are not bad. yes, some of the actual houses might be a little rundown, just from students not taking care of them well (surprise). You wouldn't want a wife and kids in the places. But they aren't unsafe or dangerous. The main problem right around campus is the noise; when you cram 5,000 students into a 3 block radius, it can get a little loud at night But there are plenty of homes/duplexes and apts that are 5 or more blocks away from campus that are quieter, house more of the grad student type, and would be my preferred place to live instead of say, Johnson St.

Old 07-20-2007, 11:56 AM

1 posts, read 5,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarand View Post
Hi,

I will be a student at UI in the fall and I am considering living in the Oakwood Village a few blocks from the Coral Ridge Mall. This means that I will probably be taking the bus since parking is so expensive. I wanted to know how safe catching the bus is in the morning and returing in the evening would be in that area. I am a single female afraid of harrassment at bus stops, etc. and not from Iowa.

Any input would be very helpful, thanks.
I actually live in Oakwood Village and am also a single female. I work at the U and so I take the bus to and from work everyday and I can say I have NEVER fealt threatened on the bus before. The morning buses are full of other University people going to work or school and one can count on seeing the same people everyday on those various buses. The afternoon buses seem to be full this time of year of kids trying to get to the mall, although loud and obnoxious at times, they are harmless as well. I ride home usually around 5:30 and there again, between about 3:30-7:00 you get more of the University people going home and I can count on seeing the same people once again on those buses from day to day. My friend, another female who lives in Oakwood Village often comes home the later buses and she said they are very benign, though there is a noticable difference in the people riding later in the evenings, but they don't mess with you. The bus drivers are very nice and very helpful as well.

Old 07-24-2015, 04:15 PM

1 posts, read 784 times
Coralville is a safe residential area. I have been a resident for 7 years now and it is completely quiet and hasselfree. You won't have anything to worry about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City