U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 01:45 PM

6,365 posts, read 7,022,121 times

Advertisements

Below you will find a strange statistic:

the University of Iowa's freshmen class is made up of 54% out-of-state students.

The number is staggering and basically unheard of. The only example I can think of where a flagship public university (or really any state university) exceeds 50% out-of-state students is the University of Vermont and that school is a mix of private and public.

The economy is a mess and college is expensive. There is no question that among areas that tend to be somewhat buffered from the extremes of economic hardship include many of the suburbs of Chicago that send loads of kids to Iowa City every year. That large, large Chicagoland population always has fueled UI enrollment.

The University of Iowa, IMHO, transcends the state of Iowa in many ways. It is located far east in state, is in the Big Ten conference, and has used membership to create major pipelines to Chicago and M/SP and even Milwaukee.

The school's ties east of the Mississippi are incredible and I believe that you couldnt' find a public university in a more rural state that has the high rankings of UI.

Those out-of-state influences are extreme and IMHO beneficial. I am a Chicago native, went to the university, and the connection to Iowa in Chicagoland is huge. The school is enormously popular.

Good stuff, but I don't know how the people of Iowa feel about in-state freshmen being a minority....although they have to love all that out-of-state, jacked up tutition that comes with it.

I doubt if there could be anything comparable in Ames to this.

Chicago Sun-Times
Percentage of out-of-state freshmen
Percentage of all out-of-state undergraduates
Ohio State*
20%
9%**
Michigan State
20%
16%
Illinois
21%
19%
Minnesota
30%
25%
Michigan*
35%
34%
Indiana
37%
36%
Penn State
41%
30%
Purdue
41%
37%
Wisconsin
42%
42%
Iowa
54%
43%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM

60 posts, read 191,716 times
It's an interesting bit of information, but it isn't something that bothers me much.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM

11,289 posts, read 23,012,785 times
I went to the U of Iowa as a freshman 13 years ago, and I believe it was around 50% out of state back then as well.

I remember showing up to class thinking I'd be one of the bigger fish in the pond as I grew up in a metro of 100,000 in a state with a lot of small towns/rural areas - only to find out I was a minority in many of my classes just because I was from Iowa.

Some classes we went around the room on the first day and it was basically like:

Iowa - Chicago - Chicago - Chicago - Iowa - Chicago - Missouri - Chicago - Iowa - Chicago - Chicago.

I was floored.

Even my family who grew up in the western half of the state were all Hawkeyes all the way. I've found that unless you went to Iowa State, or have a connection to it through someone close going there, then you were pretty much a Hawkeye. Or possibly some people were because they had close ties to Nebraska (or hated it) and they were sucked into Iowa State based on football rivalries.

I grew up in Iowa City and my family has worked for the University since the 1950's. Honestly until that first day of school though, I had NO IDEA that a lot of those kids were from Chicagoland. I had been seeing them around town since I was born, but just assumed everyone must be from Iowa somewhere.

I think it's certainly a good thing though - especially because the out of state tuition payers in such huge numbers lets the in-state residents have the lowest tuition of any Big 10 school.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I went to the U of Iowa as a freshman 13 years ago, and I believe it was around 50% out of state back then as well.

I remember showing up to class thinking I'd be one of the bigger fish in the pond as I grew up in a metro of 100,000 in a state with a lot of small towns/rural areas - only to find out I was a minority in many of my classes just because I was from Iowa.

Some classes we went around the room on the first day and it was basically like:

Iowa - Chicago - Chicago - Chicago - Iowa - Chicago - Missouri - Chicago - Iowa - Chicago - Chicago.

I was floored.

Even my family who grew up in the western half of the state were all Hawkeyes all the way. I've found that unless you went to Iowa State, or have a connection to it through someone close going there, then you were pretty much a Hawkeye. Or possibly some people were because they had close ties to Nebraska (or hated it) and they were sucked into Iowa State based on football rivalries.

I grew up in Iowa City and my family has worked for the University since the 1950's. Honestly until that first day of school though, I had NO IDEA that a lot of those kids were from Chicagoland. I had been seeing them around town since I was born, but just assumed everyone must be from Iowa somewhere.

I think it's certainly a good thing though - especially because the out of state tuition payers in such huge numbers lets the in-state residents have the lowest tuition of any Big 10 school.
for many well of suburban high schools in Chicagoland, Iowa is probably the most popular out-of-state school. One I'm very familiar with (Stevenson in Lincolnshire up in Lake County) is basically the Three I League: Illinois, Iowa, Indiana.

And Iowa usually gets the edge over IU since Indiana is a more urban state and has fewer slots open for out-of-state kids than more rural Iowa. Indeed, with Illinois's huge population and only one flagship institution, it has often been easier for Illinois kids to get into UW than U of I, despite the fact Madison's own high standards of admission.

Iowa, as a state, has a much smaller population than other Big Ten states, but UI, despite it being the smaller B10 public, is still very much in the ball park of typical B10 enrollment.

The result is that while the quality of education remains high, like its peer institutions, the number of slots it has available for out-of-staters is huge in comparison.

The university maintains an office in the Chicago Loop and the connection with Chicago and Chicagoland is unquestionable. That's why a couple years back, Iowa jumped at the opportunity of playing NIU at Solider Field. It was perfect for Chgo exposure and literally being the "home team" despite the fact that it was a Northern home game. Soldier Field was basically gold and black that day.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:48 PM

681 posts, read 2,807,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
The university maintains an office in the Chicago Loop and the connection with Chicago and Chicagoland is unquestionable. That's why a couple years back, Iowa jumped at the opportunity of playing NIU at Solider Field. It was perfect for Chgo exposure and literally being the "home team" despite the fact that it was a Northern home game. Soldier Field was basically gold and black that day.
I think they're scheduled to go back to Soldier either for the 2011 or 2012 season, so that proves it was a big hit!

Old 09-22-2010, 05:12 PM

11,289 posts, read 23,012,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
for many well of suburban high schools in Chicagoland, Iowa is probably the most popular out-of-state school. One I'm very familiar with (Stevenson in Lincolnshire up in Lake County) is basically the Three I League: Illinois, Iowa, Indiana.

And Iowa usually gets the edge over IU since Indiana is a more urban state and has fewer slots open for out-of-state kids than more rural Iowa. Indeed, with Illinois's huge population and only one flagship institution, it has often been easier for Illinois kids to get into UW than U of I, despite the fact Madison's own high standards of admission.

Iowa, as a state, has a much smaller population than other Big Ten states, but UI, despite it being the smaller B10 public, is still very much in the ball park of typical B10 enrollment.

The result is that while the quality of education remains high, like its peer institutions, the number of slots it has available for out-of-staters is huge in comparison.

I was looking through after you brought this up, and it's true that Iowa has a pretty high public University enrollment for a state of 3,000,000. Between U of I, Iowa State and Northern Iowa there are over 70,000 students.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I was looking through after you brought this up, and it's true that Iowa has a pretty high public University enrollment for a state of 3,000,000. Between U of I, Iowa State and Northern Iowa there are over 70,000 students.
It's almost like these flagship institutions have a relatively narrow range of enrollment.

If you compare Iowa's population to the population of Illinois or Michigan, you will see a huge gap.

But if you compare the University of Iowa enrollment with the University of Illinois or University of Michigan enrollment, the gap is far narrower.

There seems to be little correlation between state size and enrollment of a flagship university. Indeed, the University of Iowa's prominence is what gives it its realtively large enrollment, not the state of Iowa per se.

These flagship institutions are less and less funded by their states and frankly have a much wider goal than just doing that. They are, in some ways, they straddle the line between public and private. The Univesity of Iowa has a far wider constiutency beyond the state of Iowa.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:30 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,044,631 times
There is very little in public life that cannot be explained or understood by relating it to money.

In this case, out of state students provide more revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or