Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2007, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,638 times

Advertisements

Hi all, glad I stumbled on this site some pretty good advice.

I am moving to Iowa City in a couple weeks and need some advice on good places to live. I am in my mid-20's, single, and gay, and make around the mid 60's. What neighborhoods to you reccomend? Also, given the pricing for homes, is it a better idea to buy or rent? If so where are some good places to rent (want a nightlife but don't want to be surrounded by crazy students).

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 11:17 PM

100 posts, read 534,388 times
I can't really give specifics on neighborhoods, but the western side of Iowa City seems to be where a lot of the new growth and shopping and whatnot is at. The eastern side (E of the river) is mostly where I have been, and it is older and more modest. The University and downtown are inbetween. If you are making 60K though, you shouldn't have any problems affording anything. What is it that you do? That's a lot of $ to me!!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:00 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
I'm in mid 20's and make mid $60's - in chicago. You should have no problem at all living wherever you want in Iowa City. I grew up here, and it's a great city. I've actually been back for 2 weeks cause I'm between jobs in Chicago, and I love crashing in on Iowa City.

I'd seriously look into living somewhere that you can be within walking distance of downtown. It's really easy to drive anywhere you want from anywhere in town, but it's SO much more relaxing when you can just walk anywhere downtown and eat/go out drinking and then just walk home. There are a ton of awesome houses/apartments, etc within walking distance that aren't just tagged as "student housing". I'd come to town and meet with someone about what's for sale in the area. I just helped someone move, and there are amazing neighborhoods right near downtown that don't have the mess that comes with living near the student population. The housing stock is in really good shape since there aren't really any bad areas of town. You can find a lot of old 1920's and such housing that's in excellent condition, yet doesn't cost an abnoxious amount of money like the brand new stuff out in the burbs.

Old 07-03-2007, 07:51 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,378,224 times
Surrounding the university (where all the 'nightlife' is) is mainly student housing. Thinking of a circle surrounding the area, the student housing (ie, the houses that have been converted into duplexes/triplexes for students) are the closest, but if you go a few more blocks beyond that, there are still many neighborhoods of very nice homes that are not for students.

I went to school there, so I have no clue what a home around these areas would cost. But specifically, I'm thinking of the neighborhood past Dubuque St, if you are going away from UI, maybe down that brick road that the President's house is on. Behind Sigma Nu? (I know, horrible directions.)

Also, tons of very very nice homes if you are going down Burlington away from UI, on that street that the Delta Gamma house is on. That would be a bit of a hike, but still walkable in nice weather to downtown. If you get any closer than that near the Burlington area though, it's all apartments for students.

Also, back in the area past Dodge St, going away from UI...jeesh I can't remember street names anymore. Back where the Chi Omega house is, where it starts to get very residential (I bet you can tell what one of hobbies in college was now...)

And, more...if you go to the east side of campus, back behind Hancher Auditorium. There are a TON of nice expensive homes back there (again, how expensive, I do not know). Not right behind Hancher, as that's where a ton of frat houses and apts are, but a couple more blocks behind it.

I know tose are horrible directions, but if you visit IC, you can drive around campus and it will be easy to see where these areas are.

Old 07-03-2007, 03:54 PM

4 posts, read 14,578 times
Hi,
I have been in Iowa City almost 5 years now and have recently purchased a home. The rent here is awful if you are looking for a decent place, it runs about 80% of a house payment.
As for walking distance that is not amidst the college crowd you might want to check into the neighborhoods off of Scott Blvd and Court Street. Presently, there are numerous nice homes for sale due to the families moving out to the brand new housing. Personally I enjoy the neighborhoods that are still neighborhoods with established trees, huge yards, and not a ton of kiddies. This area has been great for me and you can get downtown very easily by bus or a decent 12-15 block walk if you know the shortcuts!
Good Luck and steer clear of anything south of Highway 6!
Kim

Old 07-04-2007, 09:21 PM

681 posts, read 3,036,071 times
Welcome to Iowa City!

Here is a map of some of the neighborhoods of Iowa City, that I found on the city website.

I believe what PearlBob is thinking is the Northside/Goosetown neighborhood, which sounds like a good place for you. The houses out there are a little out of the main student area, but still affordable and well-kept, with a lot of "eclectic" houses. The College Green and Longfellow neighborhoods are nice too, but a little more "student-y". Avoid S. Johnson St. if you like to sleep at all on the weekends.

Behind Hancher is Manville Heights, the posh neighborhood. It has it's own bus route, and houses pushing the half-million dollar range. It's really more the realm of doctors and professors then 20-somethings.

Something else to consider is the Melrose/University Heights area. It's nice and quiet every day but game day, close to UIHC and fairly easy jogging/biking distance from downtown. It's also affordable and very close to the city/university bus routes and bike paths.

http://www.icgov.org/images/neighassocmap.gif (broken link)
Iowa City Press-Citizen: Your Community (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City