U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:14 AM

111 posts, read 362,120 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info on the rural areas. I actually grew up in a smaller city of about 15,000 as a child, but then moved to a mile or two outside a rural community of about 250-300 when I was a little older, and just absolutely loved it. We had a gas station, bar, police station, general store, a church, and a feed store, but had Columbus within a 45-60 min. drive. Looking at the map, all the rural communities listed look like they might fit that bill, I'll definitely have to take a look when I visit there again this spring. Hate to ask again, but what are the chances of apartments/townhomes in those areas? Would renting a house be a more realistic option?

Thanks! You guys have been awesome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 07:54 AM

267 posts, read 1,123,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusgal614 View Post
Hate to ask again, but what are the chances of apartments/townhomes in those areas? Would renting a house be a more realistic option?
There are a few apartments in Solon and Tiffin for sure. However, I don't think there are many, so it is likely that you would find more houses for rent than apartments.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

Here are some pictures of the Iowa City area I put together. Keep in mind a lot of this is the campus/downtown area though.

//www.city-data.com/forum/iowa/...here-some.html
The photos are great, thanks! I felt I didn't need to ask about weather because it's probably the same as here, but is flooding really a problem there? I mean, I know the floods back in 2008 were a 100-year event or whatever, but is living too close to the river risky? I know I sound like a big ole dork, but we have wimpy little rivers here that never ever flood lol

Just trying to mentally ballpark insurance and such.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:03 PM

30 posts, read 64,672 times
Even without living in a floodplain, I think it would be a wise investment to get some sort of flood insurance. I've been living at home for the past 2 years (in Ankeny/Des Moines) and we don't live anywhere close to a flooding area, but when you get 10 inches of rain or more in a month you're very prone to seep-age from the exterior, be it basement foundations or cracks in the floor..... a sump pump isn't even a guarantee because it sucks when those fail as well.....

I'm not very knowledgable as far as flood insurance when one rents a house or apartment, but as a homeowner I wouldn't live without it.

Old 12-23-2010, 11:51 PM

586 posts, read 1,985,328 times
If you're not in a floodplain, have an unfinished basement and are worried about a sewer backup from the floor drain, see if your insurance company will issue you a writer policy covering the furnace, water heater, or any other expensive mechanicals.

If you are worried about seepage (a legit concern on the worst years) or have a finished basement, this probably won't be possible. There are plenty of homeowners in Iowa without flood insurance but the poster above brings up a noteworthy point if you are adamant about protecting your property.

Note that 99% of basement seepage you'll see in this part of the country is more of a nuisance rather than an in-home catastrophe, but that can depend on the level of finish in the basement too.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:50 AM

4,711 posts, read 6,351,391 times
Get some decent renters insurance, make sure it covers water damage. Most apts won't have a problem, townhouses maybe. As far as I know, no one I know has ever had a problem with flooding.

Old 12-24-2010, 02:41 PM

267 posts, read 1,123,844 times
Quote:
The photos are great, thanks! I felt I didn't need to ask about weather because it's probably the same as here, but is flooding really a problem there? I mean, I know the floods back in 2008 were a 100-year event or whatever, but is living too close to the river risky? I know I sound like a big ole dork, but we have wimpy little rivers here that never ever flood lol

Just trying to mentally ballpark insurance and such.
I would personally avoid living very near the river, unless the property is on a large hill. Floods don't really happen that often, but we have had two major floods in the last 20 years (1993 and 2008) that have really damaged several neighborhoods in the area. In my opinion, you might as well not put yourself at risk if you have a choice.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:28 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,125,426 times
A couple thoughts, mostly for the OP, but maybe useful for others:

Take a look at the Westside Dr area on the southwest corner of town (Iowa City). Its a nice, quiet little loop with a variety of apartments, condos and townhouses. The townhouses there probably run closer to $1000/mo, but I would assume the apartments are a bit cheaper. You are only a 15 min bike ride to the hospital/med school/law school, or a 15-20 min bus ride door to door for the same. There are also some really nice parks just to the east of the loop and you have easy access to get out of town to a wide variety of other outdoor activities.

If you really want to be out of town, IMO Solon would be the way to go, due to its proximity to Lake Macbride. I'd recommend staying in town though, as there is a lot going on in town and you might as well be close to the fun. Iowa City/Coralville are small towns anyways and hopping on a bus to get home winds up being pretty convenient if you live in town.

The flooding a couple years ago was severe where it hit, but in truth didn't cover that large of a portion of town...it just happens that many of the flooded structures were major community landmarks (university buildings, major commercial areas, etc). If the area on Westside Dr. that I mentioned floods, start building your ark

Re: flood insurance. A good idea if you live in or near a floodplain. However, flood insurance will likely NOT protect you against basement seepage due to heavy rains or anything that can be written off as a building defect (lack of flashing, roof leaks, etc). Make sure you talk to your agent about what your policy really covers, as companies are pretty specific with water damage.

Old 01-11-2011, 10:49 AM

Cool, thanks for the info on the flood insurance. I know here it's not an issue for townhouses/apartments, but I figured it might be if we decide to rent a house. I live near the river in Columbus, but behind the floodwall and near an active quarry which is supposed to catch the water I guess if the floodwall fails, so the state says my neighborhood doesn't need it...not that it ever floods here lol.

I'll have to check out Solon and the Westside Dr area when I am there in March. $1000/month might not be too bad, depending on how fast my boyfriend can find a job, he will be coming a few months after me though, so that might be tough for me alone up front...I might do something short term which would give me a chance to look around and get an idea of what's out there before I commit while still here in Ohio. It's pretty common here to find decent housing with 3-6 month leases for businessmen/women, would that be something you think I could find in town?

Old 01-11-2011, 09:26 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,502,462 times
Quote:
I am a student at Ohio State right now, will be graduating in March, and I'm almost 99% sure I will be attending University of Iowa in the fall. My fiancee and I were going to try to move over the summer, and were looking at the Iowa City or maybe the Coralville area since it wouldn't be too bad of a commute. I just wanted to get a little advice about neighborhoods/parts of town that might be a good fit, as well as commute times/traffic info.

I grew up outside of Columbus (Ohio farmland!) and have lived in a more urban area in Columbus for the past 5 years, so I'm not really afraid of either extreme (although I prefer the country!) We're looking to rent a 2 BR apartment/townhome in an area that is NOT full of college students, although we are okay with a younger crowd, as long as it's a bit more professional and quiet. We hate the party atmosphere and would prefer something a bit more quiet, maybe in the suburbs (or a bit more rural), but nothing with more than a 30-(45?) minute commute. We both also enjoy the outdoors/nature, and we have been to the Coralville reservoir so we thought we might like it, but correct me if I'm wrong here.

Price point is about $600-800/month or so. Don't really care about public transportation, shopping, nightlife etc. Just want a good apartment for the money and safe quiet nights. I'm a very active member on the Columbus forum, so I hope someone on here has it in them =)

Thanks guys =) Any questions, let me know!

One more thing: we have pets--this has always seemed to be a problem in the downtown areas of Columbus...figured I'd mention it
I currently live in Iowa City for most of the year and looking for an apartment near The University of Iowa campus is usually difficult, as students typically begin their search after thanksgiving. If you would like to live away from students I definately would suggest Coraville, or North Liberty where the population in the last decade has grown over 100%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or