U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 02:49 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,124,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusgal614 View Post
Cool, thanks for the info on the flood insurance. I know here it's not an issue for townhouses/apartments, but I figured it might be if we decide to rent a house. I live near the river in Columbus, but behind the floodwall and near an active quarry which is supposed to catch the water I guess if the floodwall fails, so the state says my neighborhood doesn't need it...not that it ever floods here lol.

I'll have to check out Solon and the Westside Dr area when I am there in March. $1000/month might not be too bad, depending on how fast my boyfriend can find a job, he will be coming a few months after me though, so that might be tough for me alone up front...I might do something short term which would give me a chance to look around and get an idea of what's out there before I commit while still here in Ohio. It's pretty common here to find decent housing with 3-6 month leases for businessmen/women, would that be something you think I could find in town?
Hey, sorry for the slow response. Finding a 3-6 month lease could be a little tricky...Iowa City is so university-based that almost every lease in town starts Aug. 1 and runs for a year. Not that it doesn't happen, but you might be most likely to get a shorter time-frame through a sublet.

I don't think anyone has posted this yet....here's a resource of rental listing, from the U of IA Campus Information Center:

University of Iowa Off Campus Housing Service - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2011, 04:24 PM

111 posts, read 361,949 times
Thanks =) I'll check that website out. I think we went through North Liberty when I was there last summer...I can't remember though. I just remembered liking things north of Iowa City, we did not go too far south at all though. Is it really as bad as people are making it sound (the SE side??) Or just more trashy/wannabe thugs? I can't imagine the crime is going to be as bad as it is here in Columbus...

Old 01-21-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbusgal614 View Post
Thanks =) I'll check that website out. I think we went through North Liberty when I was there last summer...I can't remember though. I just remembered liking things north of Iowa City, we did not go too far south at all though. Is it really as bad as people are making it sound (the SE side??) Or just more trashy/wannabe thugs? I can't imagine the crime is going to be as bad as it is here in Columbus...
I think trashy/wannabe thugs sounds about right. Its really a pretty small area (a few square blocks) that is considered "bad", and all you ever hear about is an occasional fight or something.

North Liberty is nice. Still a small town, but lots of growth happening. Lots of apartments, condos and newer houses up there. Also nice access to Sugar Bottom Recreation area, and some bike trails leading down to Coralville mall. Not great bus access to the U of IA campus, though, if that's a concern.

There are lots of great places to live in IA City/Coralville/NL. If you get a few places in mind, feel free to post here or DM me and I'll give you my $0.02.

Old 01-23-2011, 11:24 AM

28 posts, read 110,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
I think trashy/wannabe thugs sounds about right. Its really a pretty small area (a few square blocks) that is considered "bad", and all you ever hear about is an occasional fight or something.

North Liberty is nice. Still a small town, but lots of growth happening. Lots of apartments, condos and newer houses up there. Also nice access to Sugar Bottom Recreation area, and some bike trails leading down to Coralville mall. Not great bus access to the U of IA campus, though, if that's a concern.

There are lots of great places to live in IA City/Coralville/NL. If you get a few places in mind, feel free to post here or DM me and I'll give you my $0.02.
SE side of IC has been in news a lot over the past few years. IC is a very liberal town (whereas Coralville and North Liberty seem more conservative and business-minded) and the IC council has pursued a lot of Section 8 vouchers for low income persons. While I am sure many people were helped with this policy, the flip-side is that more and more of the criminal minded element have made their way to IC.

I would recommend Coralville or North Liberty or up towards Cedar Rapids. In this area (dubbed the Corridor by many), you will find just about everything in terms of shopping, recreation, transportation (CR airport is area's commercial airport, IC has only a general aviation airport), and if you want to go to a "big" city for a weekend, Chicago is just under 4 hours, Minneapolis, and St. Louis are just over 4 hours, and Kansas City is just under 5 hours, all via 4 lane highways.

Old 01-23-2011, 12:21 PM

586 posts, read 1,984,551 times
In an article in the DM Register just yesterday regarding youth curfews, there were quotes from locals and the Iowa City PD saying how things seemed to have calmed down somewhat on the SE side. This was largely due to the youth curfew has been implemented, a police substation was placed nearby, and several community policing efforts have taken affect.

Not saying there aren't still problems, but there aren't many of the same crime headlines coming out of Iowa City lately either.

Old 01-23-2011, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRyan View Post
In an article in the DM Register just yesterday regarding youth curfews, there were quotes from locals and the Iowa City PD saying how things seemed to have calmed down somewhat on the SE side. This was largely due to the youth curfew has been implemented, a police substation was placed nearby, and several community policing efforts have taken affect.

Not saying there aren't still problems, but there aren't many of the same crime headlines coming out of Iowa City lately either.
I haven't seen much in the local press about that corner lately, either. Kind of peaked last spring with a couple of instances of someone carrying a gun and the "mother's day brawl" (~15 kids getting into it in the street). After that, like you say, the curfew went into place, the police substation opened up, and some community groups formed to try to be more proactive, and I haven't heard much since.

I still like the West side of IC, for proximity to campus, without quite so much proximity to undergrads.

Old 01-30-2011, 10:27 PM

111 posts, read 361,949 times
Thanks for all the info guys, when I get a little closer to a decision I'll definitely check back in and get some more feedback about certain areas and IC life. I'm visiting in March for some interviews so hopefully I will get the ball rolling then, get a chance to check out some of these areas. You've been awesome! =)

Old 02-12-2011, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 2,234 times
Iowa City Has a Great Culture for as small a town it is.. There are Museums the City Band Concernts in summer friday nights . The Big Jazz Festival in the 4th of July Time.. Jazz Groups come from all over the Country to Play in this The University Has Stuff Al Year From the Arts. Band Orchistra stuff Thers Hancher stuff plays Music.. Look Up Iowa City in Urbin Dictanary too For more..

Old 02-12-2011, 02:45 PM

1,429 posts, read 2,171,320 times
Haha, you sound a bit like us!

My wife and I just moved here, we were staying with family outside iowa city and didn't want to live near party kids from the university. We had animals so apartments were out of the question (didn't meet various pet restrictions), and renting would be more than we wanted to spend ($1,000+). We decided we preferred Cedar Rapids, property is cheaper there and I'm really not a fan of dodging students walking to class in downtown Iowa City.

Anyway, our solution - buy a house! Definitely not for everyone, but payments are much cheaper than renting (ours are on the lower side of the budget you posted per month), we'll have a good sized fenced in backyard for our animals, no landlord to answer to, and we're in a good area with quick access to the highway. Just something to consider if you can at all swing it. It's our first home, and not something we thought we could do until we seriously looked into it.

Oh, traffic is not really a big deal here from what I've seen. I'm from a big city too, so the cars completely stopped on the highway not moving, backed up for miles and miles and miles everyday during rush hour - doesn't really happen here. Thank God!

Last edited by TheEarthBeneathMe; 02-12-2011 at 02:58 PM..

Old 02-13-2011, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEarthBeneathMe View Post
Haha, you sound a bit like us!

My wife and I just moved here, we were staying with family outside iowa city and didn't want to live near party kids from the university. We had animals so apartments were out of the question (didn't meet various pet restrictions), and renting would be more than we wanted to spend ($1,000+). We decided we preferred Cedar Rapids, property is cheaper there and I'm really not a fan of dodging students walking to class in downtown Iowa City.

Anyway, our solution - buy a house! Definitely not for everyone, but payments are much cheaper than renting (ours are on the lower side of the budget you posted per month), we'll have a good sized fenced in backyard for our animals, no landlord to answer to, and we're in a good area with quick access to the highway. Just something to consider if you can at all swing it. It's our first home, and not something we thought we could do until we seriously looked into it.

Oh, traffic is not really a big deal here from what I've seen. I'm from a big city too, so the cars completely stopped on the highway not moving, backed up for miles and miles and miles everyday during rush hour - doesn't really happen here. Thank God!
I have lots of opinions available on house-buying as well, since we bought in Iowa City 3 years ago and are in the process of selling now. If the OP wants more opinions on that, I will certainly do so, but won't bother unless someone wants to hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or