U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,902 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for affordable ($140/week range) childcare for my toddler, and I thought I came across the perfect one today, just to realize that its near a bad neighborhood? I know Hollywood BLVD is the worst part of town, but is the housing on Sandusky Rd part of that bad neighborhood? (Hwy 6 - Keokuk - Sandusky). It's near the park and someone at my work was telling me that there's been a lot of parties there & people hiding out in the bushes?? The daycare itself seems great, but now I'm nervous about the surroundings (and the fact that she takes them to the park to play). Any suggestions? Would you take your toddler to that area for daycare, or should I look for somewhere else? Also, if anyone has any affordable daycare references It'd be appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 06:19 AM

267 posts, read 1,123,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyMunchkin08 View Post
I'm looking for affordable ($140/week range) childcare for my toddler, and I thought I came across the perfect one today, just to realize that its near a bad neighborhood? I know Hollywood BLVD is the worst part of town, but is the housing on Sandusky Rd part of that bad neighborhood? (Hwy 6 - Keokuk - Sandusky). It's near the park and someone at my work was telling me that there's been a lot of parties there & people hiding out in the bushes?? The daycare itself seems great, but now I'm nervous about the surroundings (and the fact that she takes them to the park to play). Any suggestions? Would you take your toddler to that area for daycare, or should I look for somewhere else? Also, if anyone has any affordable daycare references It'd be appreciated!
Honestly, that part of town is probably not too bad during the day. There isn't really anywhere in Iowa City that I would avoid, that is just part of the worst neighborhood in town as far as crime goes. If you can find something elsewhere, it might be preferable, but I doubt that you would have problems there.

Old 02-15-2011, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 2,777 times
My husband and I just bought a house on Sandusky last summer, and have been happy with the neighborhood. We frequently walk our dog up in Wetherby Park, and have never had any problems there. We both work with at-risk students in the Iowa City schools (many who are actively involved in all the "gang activities" that people think of as taking place over on "this side" of town), and I would have no problems putting my child in a day care near here. Actually, I was just doing a search for day care when I came across this page - I'm due in April! The crime and "bad neighborhoods" are really on the other side of Sycamore and beyond. There are some low-income areas closer, and occasionally you'll hear about a someone getting busted for drug possession or assault, over along Taylor where most houses have been converted into duplex properties, but honestly, almost all of the "more serious crime" happens within groups of those directly involved in the conflict - between rival gang members, among competing drug dealers, etc. As far as random crimes go (and I hope I'm not jinxing anything by saying this), there are very, very few. Plus, the city recently put in a new police substation in the "Kmart/Slumberland" plaza, so there are always officers nearby. I plan to find a day care near here personally - I hope quality people continue to want to help keep this area safe and welcoming to all families! Hope that's helpful.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:15 AM

11,289 posts, read 23,038,040 times
I'm actually quite surprised and happy at just how much the Southeast side of town has calmed down over the past 2 years. In 2008 and 2009 you would have thought the area was decending into the gates of hell - but 2010 was almost creepy quiet and calm in that area. I think the community and police stepped in to tell people they were ok to live there as new residents to the area - but they weren't going to take all this crap.

You've got to stop those kinds of issues right when they start.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:45 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,124,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I'm actually quite surprised and happy at just how much the Southeast side of town has calmed down over the past 2 years. In 2008 and 2009 you would have thought the area was decending into the gates of hell - but 2010 was almost creepy quiet and calm in that area. I think the community and police stepped in to tell people they were ok to live there as new residents to the area - but they weren't going to take all this crap.

You've got to stop those kinds of issues right when they start.
This will be an interesting development to watch as well:

Southgate aims to rehabilitate Broadway condominiums | press-citizen.com | Iowa City Press Citizen

Old 04-21-2011, 07:57 AM

9 posts, read 17,360 times
I would chose the daycare based on the teachers and quality of care provided, not location. That area during the day is fine, and it's close to nice parks. But go by the teacher, not the location! There are a lot of options in that area for childcare. The 4Cs service might be helpful in finding reviews of care providers. $140 is pretty low if you're talking full-time, so you want to make sure they will be providing quality care at such an affordable price!

Another great daycare in south Iowa City is Kirkwood School for Children.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:32 PM

11,289 posts, read 23,038,040 times
^ totally agree. Iowa City might have no things going-on on the southeast side of town, but it's not scary to walk around there. If you find something quality you like, go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or