Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 7,517 times

Advertisements

Hey there!

I'm starting my Ph.D. at the University of Iowa in the fall and would LOVE any advice on meeting new people, fun places, meetup groups, whatever.

I'm 30, female, athletic (play lots of softball, love to go kayaking and dancing and do yoga), pretty outgoing and friendly. But after reading all the "I have no friends in Iowa and no one will talk to me!" posts, a bit nervous...

Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 03:04 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,609,630 times
All those posts about not being able to meet people and that Iowa is very stand off-ish come from people who move to small bum fuct towns. I was raised in Iowa, still spend about half the year there and you couldn't pay me to live in those lil towns.

Iowa City is a great town. Especially on Saturdays during football season. There are plenty of people older than 18-22 too. You should have no problem fitting in.

Old 06-08-2010, 05:03 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
Iowa City is on a fairly different level as far as what you're concerned about. It's a much more transient and growing city. You have the college students coming and going, some of them staying after graduation, and then all the influx of new people who move in all the time due to the good/stable economy.

The area has grown by 40% since 1990, so it's not going to be one of those things where you're in a little town and you're the NEW PERSON. No one will even notice.

From what you described I think you'll like the area. It's a college town, but there's still a lot to do for younger adults in their 30's, etc. Lots of sports, activities and general cultural things to do. It's a very open and optimistic city.

Here's some pictures I threw together a few years ago on this forum:

//www.city-data.com/forum/iowa/...here-some.html

I grew up in Coralville from birth until 22 years of age (30 now). I go back about 6 times a year and still love Iowa City.

Old 06-09-2010, 10:42 AM

74 posts, read 130,818 times
I grew up in Iowa City as well (Des Moines now). Iowa City is almost like another planet compared to the rest of Iowa. Get involved with a few things at the university, and you'll have no trouble meeting people.

For your kayaking fix...not quite the same, but Iowa has a pretty good crew/rowing team that you could get involved in.

Softball leagues are plentiful as well - there is a great softball complex in Coralville not far from the Athletic/Medical campus on the west side of the river.

And, to echo a previous response, a College Football Saturday in Iowa City is truly something to behold.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:41 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanGazerGirl View Post
Hey there!

I'm starting my Ph.D. at the University of Iowa in the fall and would LOVE any advice on meeting new people, fun places, meetup groups, whatever.

I'm 30, female, athletic (play lots of softball, love to go kayaking and dancing and do yoga), pretty outgoing and friendly. But after reading all the "I have no friends in Iowa and no one will talk to me!" posts, a bit nervous...

Thanks for the help!
I also will be attending The University of Iowa this fall, but as a freshmen. I never read those I have no friends threads but I wouldn't make it a concern. I have done extensive research into both the school and city. You should be okay, Iowa City is a great place. Things might be a little different for you since your pursuing a Ph.D ( awsome) but not much.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:43 PM

135 posts, read 408,595 times
Does anyone else notice that it is always the city rats who have big problems making friends in small towns ?
Could it possibly be that snobbish elitist attitude they seem to have in common.

I have never had problems making friends with locals wherever I have gone , maybe its because I dont view people through an ideology that requires them to have to fit some social classification.

I treat others as I wish to be treated , and its worked great so far.

Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 AM

2 posts, read 7,517 times
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm really looking forward to a new challenge, and I think I'll have a great time in Iowa!

Mercruiserdr, I wouldn't be so quick to generalize. Some of the nicest, most outgoing people I've ever met were from the heart of Detroit. Get off your (small town) high horse

And yes, I'm a small town girl in case you're wondering.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,017 times
want my advice? DO NOT MOVE HERE!

The people are stuck-up and rude...especially the college people.

There is nothing to do and nowhere to go.

The winter is too cold and the summer is too hot.

You will NOT like it.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:58 PM

586 posts, read 2,185,278 times
Pms?

Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City