Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2011, 03:02 PM

6 posts, read 12,878 times

Advertisements

i am coming of iowa from egypt i want to know the rents of 1 bed room studio with 1 bathroom and the average cost of living monthly i want to live in a place ok where criminal rates are low and safe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 03:15 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,413,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abedox View Post
i am coming of iowa from egypt i want to know the rents of 1 bed room studio with 1 bathroom and the average cost of living monthly i want to live in a place ok where criminal rates are low and safe
I haven't looked at rent rates too much lately, but I'm thinking a 1 bedroom place would be ~$500-$650. Right downtown is more, generally gets cheaper as you go outward from the university. I'm not sure on studio apartments.

The area immediately to the east of campus/downtown is primarily undergrad rental housing. The west side of the river tends to be a bit quieter and more graduate/professional student types.

Check out the UI's resources as well, and good luck!
University of Iowa Off Campus Housing Service - Home

Old 02-18-2011, 11:27 AM

6 posts, read 12,878 times
thanks for your reply , i am looking for a one bed room one bathroom appartment do u think i can find a flat with 600 $ ? and what s the average cost of life is 1700 $ is ok monthly for one person or i ll need more money and what is the opportuinites of work there for physicians and in labs
?

Old 02-18-2011, 03:12 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,413,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abedox View Post
thanks for your reply , i am looking for a one bed room one bathroom apartment do u think i can find a flat with 600 $ ? and what s the average cost of life is 1700 $ is ok monthly for one person or i ll need more money and what is the opportuinites of work there for physicians and in labs
?
I think it could be done for $600/mo. That link I posted earlier had a couple places in the $550-$600/mo range when I looked.

Its hard to say what anyone else can live on. My wife and I lived on ~$2500/mo for 3 years and never felt particularly short on cash. $1,700/mo is about what grad student TAs or RAs make and I don't think the ones I know take out loans, so they must be able to get by.

If you are going to be a student/grad student/professional student and you really want to save money, check on the university apartments:

Floor Plans and Rental Rates - University Apartments - University Housing - The University of Iowa

They are not the nicest places by any means, but they are very cheap, have bus service to any part of campus, and as far as I know, they are safe.

There are lots of labs and research and its a big hospital, so there are certainly lots of staff positions in town. Your ability to find one will depend on what skills you have and letting people know you are interested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City