Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2011, 05:58 PM

2,260 posts, read 5,614,577 times

Advertisements

Hey guys! My niece is planning on attending Briar Cliff University in Sioux City in the fall. She will not have a car. I was wondering if my niece would be able to ride a bus, take a shuttle, or take the train to my sister's in Iowa City, or to my mom's in Springfield, IL.

I now live in San Antonio, and so does my niece. This kid has never spent any time away from home, and of course her mother is concerned about her not being able to get home for school breaks. We're just trying to figure out a way to get her to my family so she'll have a place to go and also so her mom will worry a bit less.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 07:19 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
Looks like she could greyhound that trip. Although for ~$90 and 8 hours each way, probably renting a car and zipping across the state would be a better option.

The train isn't a very good option...Amtrak only comes to about 45 miles from IA City and she'd likely have to go all the way to Chicago and backtrack down to Iowa.

The most painless way, depending on how much she (or you ) wants to open the wallet would be to fly. She could fly from Sioux City to Cedar Rapids, which would be a 20 min trip for your sister to pick up. One layover (MSP or Chicago, I assume) is currently ~$420.

Let's be honest, though, she's going to get to college, make lots of friends, and want to spend her time with them most weekends and breaks

Old 03-20-2011, 08:01 PM

1stpontiac, thanks for the 411. Can 18 year olds rent cars in Iowa?

And my hope is definitely that she will want to spend her weekends and breaks with her friends...but we're trying to calm down her very nervous mama.

Too bad about Amtrak - that's the way to travel, in my opinion.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,423,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
1stpontiac, thanks for the 411. Can 18 year olds rent cars in Iowa?

And my hope is definitely that she will want to spend her weekends and breaks with her friends...but we're trying to calm down her very nervous mama.

Too bad about Amtrak - that's the way to travel, in my opinion.
Shoot, I forgot about the minimum age to rent cars. I would doubt she'd be able to do that.

I've always wanted to do a little Amtrak traveling, but the tracks and stations are pretty sparse west of the Mississippi.

Old 03-21-2011, 04:48 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,101 times
Greyhound has buses that stop in all those places. It might be an interesting trip--but they go there. I can't speak for Sioux City or Springfield, but I know that the bus depot in Iowa City is nice, safe and secure; modern and in a good area close to downtown.

It used to be, in college, that you could just put up a flyer that you were looking for a ride to such and such a place and that you'd chip in for gas and your phone number and find a ride that way. Of course, I don't know if that's still done--it might have gone the way of hitchhiking.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:51 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
Yeah, it might be easiest to just rent a car if you're going to be doing that trip every once in awhile. Otherwise it's an 8+ hour bus ride with a long layover in Omaha. There's only one scheduled trip per day, so you're pretty locked in as far as timing.

Amtrak doesn't come within 100 miles of Sioux City, and is also around 50 miles from Iowa City.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 PM

659 posts, read 1,101,513 times
Tell her to befriend someone with a car, and then tempt that friend with the offer of a weekend home-cooked meal, a quiet place to study, and a chance to do laundry without having to constantly be on guard against would-be sock thieves. It will work.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 PM

Yeah, that's going to be the plan, Stavemaster! I mean, what else can she do? Hopefully we can arrange to get her a car for her sophomore year, but her freshman year is going to be a challenge, I think.

She goes up August 11 - orientation starts on August 12. We're going to miss her but I am SO excited for her. I went to a small private college for my undergrad and just loved it. I hope she has a great experience too.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:50 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,983,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGrace View Post
Yeah, that's going to be the plan, Stavemaster! I mean, what else can she do? Hopefully we can arrange to get her a car for her sophomore year, but her freshman year is going to be a challenge, I think.

She goes up August 11 - orientation starts on August 12. We're going to miss her but I am SO excited for her. I went to a small private college for my undergrad and just loved it. I hope she has a great experience too.
I used to live in San Antonio and was born in Sioux City, so I'm familiar with both places. How did she happen to decide on Briar Cliff? Did she tour the school before deciding it was a good fit for her? I don't blame her mom though, its along ways away. Hopefully she will meet some nice kids and have a good experience there. Not having a car is probably better in the beginning anyway, and less worries for her mom as well.

I think you have to be 21 to rent a car, so the bus would probably be the only option until she develops some good friendships. Keep us updated on her new adventure.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:41 PM

Todd, she took her SAT and indicated that colleges could contact her. Briar Cliff sent her a letter and she was interested. She and her mom both spoke with the admissions people many times, then decided to go up during spring break (last week) to tour the campus. She LOVED it. LOVED. Although she kept texting me to tell me it was "cold". I told her, "Just wait, kiddo!"

Her mom has told me several times just how friendly and nice everyone was. I said, "Of course they are! They're Midwesterners!" (Despite what Texans will tell you, Midwesterners are WAY nicer. WAY. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a Midwesterner... )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City