Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2011, 12:41 PM

52 posts, read 109,918 times

Advertisements

My husband is from a town near Iowa City and moved to FL after he graduated high school. He was planning on moving back about year after moving to FL, but met me and decided to stay. Now it's been 10 years and he's pushing harder than ever to move back. We have two children and my job is very secure here, so I'm having trouble just lifting up our roots and replanting them there in hopes that everything will work out. My biggest concern I suppose is that he works in construction. While the market here crashed and many people have taken on different careers, gone back to school, or just became self-employed so they could cut out the middle man, he has been able to find work to keep us floating. So I guess my question is to those who live in the area (since you would know best), what are the chances that both of us would be able to find good paying, steady jobs? He is currently doing aluminum work (gutters, siding, pool cages, screened enclosures, etc), but he does have experience in window & door installation, house framing, roofing, and some other things. If he doesn't know the field, he's a very fast learner. Are the companies willing to take on someone and train or are they geared more towards "experienced only"? I am a Registered Pharmacy Technician and currently work at a hospital. I prefer to stay in a hospital setting simply because the trend seems to be that they pay more money and have better benefits. However, I wouldn't be opposed to maybe a long term care pharmacy or something that is considered a "closed pharmacy" where you don't get a lot of patient contact. Any information is much appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 03:54 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,135,113 times
There is plenty of opportunity for both of you in the Iowa City area. Iowa City has 3 major hospitals - U of I, Mercy, and VA - and there are numerous others within easy commuting distance, as well as lots of retail pharmacies. Even if you didn't find your "dream job" in a hospital right away you would have no problem finding a good paying job to pay the bills until you found something you really wanted. There's plenty of construction in that area, as well. If your husband is a self-starter and has any experience in bidding and scheduling jobs, he could probably go to work for himself rather than working for wages. Just a thought.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
View detailed profiles of: