Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 05:50 PM

8 posts, read 33,851 times

Advertisements

Hi! My fiance and I are moving to the Iowa City area. She will be working up in Marion, but while there for the interview, really liked (and thought i would like) the Iowa City area better then Cedar Rapids. We are currently both in Chicago in Lincoln Park and went to Michigan State, so it seems like Iowa City might be better fit all around.

Couple questions, we were thinking more Coralville due to access to the highway to get up to work (as well as North Liberty). She was commuting about 30 min or so anyway up here, but I know traffic here is different from Iowa, so she could cover a lot more ground there. What is a good estimate for commute times from there to Marion? I'll be working from home, so no issues there.

As far as cabs go, can you get cabs from coralville to downtown? If we wanted to go out and not worry about driving, just wondering how easy it would be to get there and back home (im guessing its out of the question if your are in north liberty huh?) Im 30 and shes 27, so its not like something we'll be doing all the time but would be a nice option.

We are going to be moving in Oct 1st, so we have time to look for places. It would be nicer to have a duplex or townhouse rather then just an apartment. Someplace with a yard for the dog too. We were looking at spending about $1200 a month as a max.

I appreciate the time, and am sure i'll have more questions!
thanks!
josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 09:50 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,310 times
The best way, in my opinion, to get from I-380 to Marion if you are coming from the south is to exit I-380 at HWY 30 and take that to HWY 13, then north to Marion.

I don't drive it daily, but the times I have been on I-380 between IA City and CR during the morning rush hour, the traffic went about 75 to 80 mph. I have never experienced heavy traffic on HWY 30. HWY 13 used to be bad when it had 4-way stops, but those were replaced with traffic lights.

Depending on where your wife works, you may consider driving up to CR and exiting at 29th St NE and taking that to East Post Rd, which would take you into Marion

I don't like traveling Blairs ferry Rd and Collins Rd. There are so many stop lights.

I would estimate 45 minutes on a good day, but suggest you check it out in map quest. Maybe someone who drives that way daily can give you a better idea.

MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Old 08-28-2012, 08:56 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1710 View Post
Hi! My fiance and I are moving to the Iowa City area. She will be working up in Marion, but while there for the interview, really liked (and thought i would like) the Iowa City area better then Cedar Rapids. We are currently both in Chicago in Lincoln Park and went to Michigan State, so it seems like Iowa City might be better fit all around.

Couple questions, we were thinking more Coralville due to access to the highway to get up to work (as well as North Liberty). She was commuting about 30 min or so anyway up here, but I know traffic here is different from Iowa, so she could cover a lot more ground there. What is a good estimate for commute times from there to Marion? I'll be working from home, so no issues there.

As far as cabs go, can you get cabs from coralville to downtown? If we wanted to go out and not worry about driving, just wondering how easy it would be to get there and back home (im guessing its out of the question if your are in north liberty huh?) Im 30 and shes 27, so its not like something we'll be doing all the time but would be a nice option.

We are going to be moving in Oct 1st, so we have time to look for places. It would be nicer to have a duplex or townhouse rather then just an apartment. Someplace with a yard for the dog too. We were looking at spending about $1200 a month as a max.

thanks!
josh
If you like the college-town vibe, Iowa City is great. Lots of wonderful restaurants, sporting events, concerts and shows to take in. Coralville and North Liberty would definitely be good options for commuting into CR, versus Iowa City. You should be able to find a townhouse for that price range (I know the townhouse next to mine rented for about $1,000/mo a year ago. Although I never used cabs when I lived there, you should be able to get cabs to/from downtown if you need. You'll have to call them from Coralville, since they won't necessarily be out cruising the streets. Around downtown, there's a good chance you can just flag one down when you need it.

Two caveats:

- Do you know where you will be working or what kind of work you will be looking for? Iowa City employment is heavily dominated by the hospital and university, so you might also end up driving to CR, or the quad cities, or wherever else.

- Start looking for rentals immediately. Because it is such a college town, Iowa City rentals usually have Aug 1st to Aug 1st leases, and it can be a little challenging to find rentals "off-season". You will have a little easier time most likely because Coralville and NL are a little less student-dominated, but definitely don't wait until 2 weeks before to start looking.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:47 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,193,525 times
I drive Interstate 380 from CR (Coldstream/Glass Rd exit; I live 4 minutes from 380) to downtown IC every day. It takes me about 25 minutes, going 70-75 mph. Driving within CR city limits, 55-60 mph (speed cameras). I would add an additional 10 minutes to get to Marion. Might be faster taking 30 and 13 into Marion. Not sure about 29th St exit, as you go through residential and I always seem to get stuck behind a slower vehicle. I do leave at 6 AM, and drive back at 3:30 PM. I've heard the traffic is heavier at around 7:30, but not sure how much of a difference. I would warn your fiancee if she drives 380 in downtown CR, dangerous curve in that section of road, do not go faster than 55, many bad accidents in the winter along that stretch. I think North Liberty would make it a lot easier to drive to Marion. There should be plenty of townhomes there in your price range.

Old 08-28-2012, 10:52 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
[quote=JP1710;25833832]Hi! My fiance and I are moving to the Iowa City area. She will be working up in Marion, but while there for the interview, really liked (and thought i would like) the Iowa City area better then Cedar Rapids. We are currently both in Chicago in Lincoln Park and went to Michigan State, so it seems like Iowa City might be better fit all around.

thanks!
josh

You would be better to move closer to Marion in my opinion, it is quite a drive from Iowa City to Marion especially during the winter months. The snow here can be disasterous within minutes and she could be stuck in a hotel around Marion more than she wants to be overnight because of the snow and ice.

I live outside of Iowa City about 15ish miles and I love it and I often go to Iowa City but my preference for groceries is actually Muscatine which is 15ish miles the other direction outside of my town.

Good luck with your move and cabs are very limited but can be found in and around Iowa City and Coralville.

PS -- We rent a smaller but wonderful home for $600.00 a month, pay our own utilities and propane and don't spend near the $1200.00 you are talking about, but again we are in West Liberty so I'm not sure what the rent prices further north of Iowa City would be.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
I drive Interstate 380 from CR (Coldstream/Glass Rd exit; I live 4 minutes from 380) to downtown IC every day. It takes me about 25 minutes, going 70-75 mph. Driving within CR city limits, 55-60 mph (speed cameras). I would add an additional 10 minutes to get to Marion. Might be faster taking 30 and 13 into Marion. Not sure about 29th St exit, as you go through residential and I always seem to get stuck behind a slower vehicle. I do leave at 6 AM, and drive back at 3:30 PM. I've heard the traffic is heavier at around 7:30, but not sure how much of a difference. I would warn your fiancee if she drives 380 in downtown CR, dangerous curve in that section of road, do not go faster than 55, many bad accidents in the winter along that stretch. I think North Liberty would make it a lot easier to drive to Marion. There should be plenty of townhomes there in your price range.
If I recall correctly, 29th has a light at Center Point Rd., one at 1st Ave, other than that it is a through street. It is wide and traffic moves along faster than a typical residential area.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:20 PM

That's true, but one lane each way on 29th. After you get to 1st Ave, you still have to drive up to the Collins Rd/1st Ave intersection with stop lights along the way. From there it's easy cruising on the rest of Collins Rd before getting to Post Road ... unless there is another way to get to Post Rd that I can't recall. Just seems like more stop lights again (except it is probably better than driving 380 directly to the Collins exit). However now that I think about it, they did widen 1st Ave, so it probably will go faster, regardless.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
That's true, but one lane each way on 29th. After you get to 1st Ave, you still have to drive up to the Collins Rd/1st Ave intersection with stop lights along the way. From there it's easy cruising on the rest of Collins Rd before getting to Post Road ... unless there is another way to get to Post Rd that I can't recall. Just seems like more stop lights again (except it is probably better than driving 380 directly to the Collins exit). However now that I think about it, they did widen 1st Ave, so it probably will go faster, regardless.
You can stay on 29th and cross 1st Ave, 29th St becomes 29th St drive SE. Follow that up the hill to East Post Rd.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...49567&t=m&z=15

Old 08-29-2012, 04:30 AM

Never knew that route existed ... something new for this old timer.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:16 AM

8 posts, read 33,851 times
Thank you for all the responses! We are giving living up north of Cedar Rapids a second thought now. Areas like Hiawatha and Kenwood Park...any thoughts on that? A lot more options for rentals (on craigslist anyway) there then in coralville and north liberty (the dog option was killing us). Plus the commute would be much better.

Any thoughts on those places?
thanks!
josh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City