Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2007, 08:19 PM

82 posts, read 145,082 times

Advertisements

I visited beautiful Iowa City and thought I found my Shangri La. Only one problem. I couldn't find anyone over 20 years old. I am 55 and I am wondering what other people 55 to 65 are hiding in Iowa City. Are there places where I can find them? Do the students truly run the entire town?

Help.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 08:05 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,346,801 times
If you're only looking around downtown, near the ped mall, near campus....then yes, it appears as though IC is all students. It is not though. I'm not quite sure where older folks "hang out", but it's not downtown. At least not on non-football weekends.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:19 PM

681 posts, read 3,030,970 times
Well, what do you like to do? If you can tell us that, maybe we could brainstorm some places where 50-60 yr. old people do those things...

Old 07-28-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Thanks for your help.

Hmmm...what do I like to do? I like to go out to dinner with friends or go to bars for a drink periodically and get to know other people. I guess I like social environments that aren't loud and boisterous, but where people like to hang out and have good conversations without the blaring music and screaming kids. I like the boutiqueness atmosphere of the downtown area of Iowa City. The ped mall is very beautiful until dusk when the kids start partying. Is there some place like that farther away from downtown, but not like the commercial areas of Coralville? You know, tucked away in some neighborhoods somewhere that I haven't found?

Old 08-01-2007, 02:25 PM

681 posts, read 3,030,970 times
Sorry about letting this go for so long. My experience really isn't with the 50+ crowd, so I'm not too sure how helpful I can be.

I've heard the Piano Lounge on Iowa Ave. is perhaps a good bar for the more mature crowd. Other than that, as far as bars go, you may just have to try different ones until you find one you like (God knows there are enough choices...). My general advice would be to try ones farther away from downtown if you want to avoid students.

You could also try visiting the Northside Neigborhood. It's the area around Market and Linn north of downtown. There are a few nice out of the way stores, some good restaurants and a bar or two. I have been to neither, but I hear good things about the Motley Cow and Devotay as far as restaurants go.

Also, you may want to check out the Senior Center. I know the name conjures up images of walkers and bedpans, but it really is a great place (a friend of mine works there--in video production!). They offer all kinds of classes, clubs, volunteer opportunities, and programs--everything 50+.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Thanks SharpHawkeye: re Iowa City

Hmm...walkers & bedpans. I guess I just see myself as a more mature progressive individual, lol. Not time to face that music yet, being that I am a 60's rocker child. I am looking forward to visiting IC again when students are in session and again in the dead of winter to see how I hold up to either or both.

Love your town!!

Old 08-05-2007, 07:16 PM

283 posts, read 1,024,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccmusica View Post
Hmm...walkers & bedpans. I guess I just see myself as a more mature progressive individual, lol. Not time to face that music yet, being that I am a 60's rocker child. I am looking forward to visiting IC again when students are in session and again in the dead of winter to see how I hold up to either or both.

Love your town!!
ccmusica,

I lived in Iowa city for 25 years -- most of my adult life (since college). Just moved to Lexington, KY two weeks ago.

The students are a big part of the town, but they don't run the town. There is lots there for a person such as yourself. You didn't say how long you visited? The students definitely rule the downtown bars during the late weekend night hours (even the late weekday night hours), but that doesn't mean there aren't non-student places to go. There are... and trust me, there are LOTS of non-students who love an active social life who find it in Iowa City. My husband and I have primarily raised small children during the last 15 years, but we still were able to enjoy several "non-student" places to go, in terms of bars, restaurants, etc. Yes, even downtown. And lots of cultural events too!

Old 08-08-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Thanks ip-eci!

I couldn't imagine that there wasn't stuff for us older people to do in Iowa City. I spent 5 days there, not enough to do much other than an initial look-around. We are planning on visiting again when the students are back in full force and once again in the dead of winter. That should give us a good idea about the "environment" so to speak.

I love the people in Iowa City. I was born and raised in California, and even though I am from the Northern part, a little of the "California trendy-ness" seeps in, even up here. People in Iowa City were very comfortable for me. Very real. Love you all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
View detailed profiles of: