U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 02:03 PM

7 posts, read 21,162 times

Advertisements

Iv been doing a little more research...and all though some of you have mention there is no crime in Iowa city..this web site is showing the opposite.

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Its showing Iowa city crime rate as being above national average.

The national average is 3.
Cedar rapids is showing 1-1 for violent crime and property crime.
and Iowa city is showing 4 violent crime and 5 property crime.
Thats pretty high when the national average is 3.
Coralville even comes in higher than Iowa city.
Can someone fill me in on why these numbers are coming in so high?
Is it because of the college?

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 06:48 PM

100 posts, read 497,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southergirl View Post
Iv been doing a little more research...and all though some of you have mention there is no crime in Iowa city..this web site is showing the opposite.

Its showing Iowa city crime rate as being above national average.

The national average is 3.
Cedar rapids is showing 1-1 for violent crime and property crime.
and Iowa city is showing 4 violent crime and 5 property crime.
Thats pretty high when the national average is 3.
Coralville even comes in higher than Iowa city.
Can someone fill me in on why these numbers are coming in so high?
Is it because of the college?
Hmmm.... not sure where they get their stats from, but people who LIVE in Iowa will tell you that Iowa City is a safe place to be. Sure, they are not without their problems... the occasional assault or robbery or whatever, but I would not classify it as "dangerous," and I do not fear for my safety when I am there. Its true that there is a large student population, and, of course you will have partying, underage drinking, and so on, but as far as "hardcore" crime goes, it is unknown to Iowa City.

Also, are the stats comparing Iowa City to other CITIES or all areas of the United States? It would be hard to try to average crime in cities of 60,000+ with small towns across America. The American "average" probably uses a formula that divides total number of crimes by total number of people (in the whole country), but does not necessarily distinguish WHERE those people are living. My point is... if you compared Iowa City to other similarly-sized cities, I would be VERY surprised if it came up as among the more dangerous.

Indeed, City-data.com's own page on Iowa City disagrees, showing Iowa City to have a LOWER crime rate than the national average: Iowa City, Iowa (IA) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 05:18 AM..

Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 AM

80 posts, read 321,939 times
Do not be concerned about crime in Iowa City. I would not go running at night by yourself near campus, but seriously in this day and age I would not do that anywhere! I went to college in IC, my stepdaughter just finished there in 2004, no problems at all for either of us. She walked everywhere, parked her car on the street, she never had any troubles. Exercise reasonable caution and you'll be fine.

IC is the best town in Iowa in my opinion. IC West is a great school and I would want my kids in that district. Even if your kids won't go there, it's good for resale, and if you are still there when they are ready, the enrollment freeze will be long over.

And Hawkeye football games are the best!

Old 08-26-2007, 01:21 PM

681 posts, read 2,809,063 times
I think it's not fair to say that there is no crime in Iowa City. There is some crime, as there is some crime in all cities this size...especially university towns. However, I think the vast majority of these crimes are college student-on-college student crime, and are limited to certain areas of IC. A lot of it relates to drinking and bad decisions that come from that. However, if you are not a college student and/or you "keep your nose clean" you won't have a problem at all.

I personally wouldn't wish to live in Coralville south of I-80 because in my experience the traffic through that area is almost always terrible, and the area is rather overdeveloped without the personality of the older neighborhoods in IC. Also there are several areas of large apartment complexes instead of regular residential neighborhoods. North of I-80, the area is more spread out, less commercial, and the homes are better.

I'm afraid I live close to downtown so I don't have an intimate knowledge of those neighborhoods...there are several smaller parks scattered around IC, and City Park is very easy to get to from anywhere in town and is very popular. Supermarkets are also fairly easy to get to from anywhere in town, although there isn't centrally located grocery store (besides New Pi, I guess)--so plan on driving.

For renting houses, this is a bad time to be looking since school just started. The only advice I can offer is to avoid houses closer to downtown--and never, never sign anything sight-unseen, lest you end up in a frat-boy rat trap of a house.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:05 AM

14 posts, read 65,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southergirl View Post
They are pre-schoolers 2-3 years old..
high school is a long..long ways away...

But thanks for the info..
ya, you have a little time before High school...!
Give the Fox run area a look for housing......really its a great area, tons of kids and I mean tons. All young families with lots of younger kids (like yours). All professional people who keep the area cared for and looked after.
The housing dev is on North Liberty 52317. We have been very impressed with everything and the people have been great.....

Good luck with your move.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:16 PM

5 posts, read 18,255 times
Default Some ideas...

Hi there,

I've lived in Coralville for the past couple of years and grew up in Cedar Rapids so I have a good idea about the Iowa City area. Based on your criteria I'd suggest Coralville north of I-80, the neighborhoods are clean, safe, family friendly, close to shopping and restaurants while being just far enough away from the university crowd. Stay clear of the area just east of the mall, there's a grouping of low income apartments, that's where almost all of the crime in Coralville is concentrated (still not much). My wife and I have always felt safe here, it's very laid back and easy going, hope you enjoy it!

Old 08-29-2007, 07:47 AM

23 posts, read 106,849 times
Hi Southerngirl,

I have lived in Iowa City a long time. I'm in my 40s with three kids of varied ages. I have one in high school, one in junior high and one in kindergarten.

Crimes are committed in Iowa City. They are committed everywhere, IMO. Always be aware and always be concerned about crime, no matter where you live. Right now there is a spate of young women being attacked downtown as they walk home after the bars close. Typically they are followed, knocked down and groped. Most other crimes that occur in Iowa City are typically small time gangs / drug-related.

I live on the east side of Iowa City, north of I-80. I used to live in the southeast quadrant; I don't recommend that, even though you will find homes there to be the most reasonably priced and you will probably find fairly decent rental options there. If you are concerned about crime, that is where a fair amount of it occurs. By southeast, I mean anything south of Highway 6 and east of Riverside Drive.

The west side has more development going on and more crowded schools. (There are also "iffy" areas on the west side; both sides have fairly equal amounts of poverty and crime occurring.) My theory is that east side development tends to be bigger and pricier (ie, new $500K homes on acreages on the fringes of town), while there is more affordable new development going on on the west side (you can build a new home for $300K on a smaller lot). Therefore, the west side has been attracting more home buyers in recent years and crowding has been a result. Several new elementary schools have gone up in the last few years.

I wouldn't be terribly worried about where you end up, if you are renting. Once you are looking to buy, do your homework with regard to the elementary schools. However, it would be hard to get a poor education in Iowa City. People who move here from other small cities are often surprised at the cost of homes, so be prepared for that.

I am not a fan of North Liberty. There is a lot of growth there and yet also a fair amount of poverty. You'd do a lot of driving if you worked in Iowa City and also, one of the elementary schools there is new. I'm a proponent of existing schools with good reputations. New schools tend to attract disgruntled teachers from other schools. Often they are disgruntled for a reason. I am also not a fan of smaller towns but if you are choosing between Hills and West Branch, the latter is a nicer town (though Hills kids are educated in the Iowa City school district). West Branch is a 10 minute drive to Iowa City (well, at least to the Iowa City exit off of I-80).

Traffic is not bad here but I have had university jobs that took 45 minutes from home to desk, depending on your work schedule. Being to work by 8 am can involve some traffic congestion, depending on where you live. Also many people park in commuter parking lots and then have to hike the rest of the way to the office. Parking in Iowa City is bad and if you can find a home on a bus line, go for it. Great transit system.

Good luck and feel free to toss out any other questions you might have!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or