U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2011, 09:56 AM

332 posts, read 727,136 times

Advertisements

Possibly relocating to Iowa City to work at the University Hospital. What areas have the safest nicest single family homes? Budget will be over $500,000.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 02:14 PM

also what area has the best elementary schools? Thanks!
I saw on an earlier thread these are suppose to be the best "Lincoln, Hoover, Lemme, Weber and Wickham"

Last edited by danielle_pal; 12-23-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 12-27-2011, 10:14 AM

was it something I said?

Old 12-27-2011, 12:50 PM

189 posts, read 727,562 times
Try going to Zillow and look at homes in the 52246 zip code. You should be able to find plenty of homes on the west side of town near UIHC for under $500K. You really can't go wrong with most parts of IC, so it'll depend on what kind of home you're looking for.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:26 PM

I don't see any foreclosures in Iowa City. Why is that?

Old 12-28-2011, 07:39 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,122,790 times
Manville Heights is a very nice neighborhood with old oak trees and houses with character and is a 10 minute walk from the hospital. You said your budget was "over $500k"...is that what you meant, or did you mean under $500k? I think you can get into that neighborhood starting around $300,000 for a decent place, but I haven't looked in a while.

Iowa City is a nice, safe city. The housing immediately east of downtown is largely college rentals, so I'd stay out of there. The south side of town (south of Highway 6, near Broadway St. and Hollywood Blvd) is the other area that has some crime issues and probably wouldn't be recommended.

Other than that, if you give some more specifics as to what type of neighborhood and house (older, new construction, large lots, or more cozy?) as well as how close to UIHC you want to be (walk, bike, bus, or drive distance?), I can try to come up with a few more areas.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle_pal View Post
I don't see any foreclosures in Iowa City. Why is that?
I can't imagine that there aren't any foreclosures in Iowa City, but due to the regular turn-over from the college and hospital, the city didn't experience nearly the housing downturn that much of the rest of the country did. I'm sure there are some out there, though.

On the other hand, $500,000 should buy you a pretty decent single-family home in Iowa City without having to specifically seek out foreclosures and the associated baggage that comes with that, though.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:32 AM

I guess it is a good thing IC's housing market is stronger than other places we are interviewing at. We would prefer a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath house, newer but a renovated older home would be fine. I saw a few homes out of my price range but not sure if anyone would sell for $200K less than list price in IC if the market is not "soft". Good preK and elementary schools are a top concern. Being withing 15-20 minutes to the hospital would be great.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle_pal View Post
I guess it is a good thing IC's housing market is stronger than other places we are interviewing at. We would prefer a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath house, newer but a renovated older home would be fine. I saw a few homes out of my price range but not sure if anyone would sell for $200K less than list price in IC if the market is not "soft". Good preK and elementary schools are a top concern. Being withing 15-20 minutes to the hospital would be great.

Ok, here's a few places I'd recommend looking:

-The area bounded by 2nd St (Highway 6), Rocky Shore Dr, Park Road, and Riverside Dr. This is the Manville Heights area I described before. One of the oldest neighborhoods in town, but the houses are nice and many have been remodeled or have additions. This area is a 10-minute walk from both the hospital and the university and you are right by city park and some bike trails that you can take along the river to many other parks and such. There is also an elementary school right in the neighborhood. I don't have any experience with the schools to comment on the quality, though.

-The area between Sunset St, Teg Dr. and Benton St. Nice, quiet neighborhood, probably a couple decades newer than Manville Heights. Lots of ramblers, and some split-levels and other houses. Some blocks are more of the brick-facade-and-columns houses. Close proximity to Willow Creek park, good access to the hospital via bus or a 10 min bike ride.

-Kennedy Parkway. I'm still not clear if you are looking for under or over $500k houses, so this neighborhood would likely be in the over 500k category (I'm assuming based on driving through it...I haven't actually looked at prices). These are large, newer homes that look custom-built on very large lots. Still just a straight shot a couple miles down Melrose Ave. to the hospital.

-Rohret Rd, west of highway 218. This is a somewhat newer development with good-sized houses that are not quite as large or seemingly custom-built as the Kennedy Parkway ones. You'd be a bit more isolated from the rest of town, but you'll notice there is an elementary school right in the middle of it. I used to run through it once in a while and it always seemed like there were people out and about in their yards and on the sidewalks.

You won't find houses going for $200,000 less than asking price in IC. When I sold my house this summer, I got 97% of my asking price, and from what I've heard, that's pretty standard.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:16 PM

wow thanks so much! That helped a ton. Budget is around 500k a little above or below would be o.k.
There are not too many homes in the 400-525 range in IC. Thanks for the info on the market. I won't waste my time looking at homes too far out of our price-range then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City