U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 07:55 AM

5 posts, read 9,707 times

Advertisements

Hello there,

I am considering a move from Toronto to Iowa city. I have a couple of questions:

(a) How well can you live on a salary of $100,000 in Iowa city with no dependents but probably will need to support my wife initially until she finds a job
(b) I will be working at the University of Iowa - so which areas are ok to buy a home, I was considering Coralville?/
(c) Are taxes (property and income) lower than Ontario Canada?
(d) How different is it compared to life in Toronto?

Would you consider this to me a good move overall?

I look forward to receive any comments on a potential move to Iowa city.

Thanks,
Regards
aaj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 09:31 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,123,381 times
I have not been to Toronto, so I can't help with specific comparisons, but here are a couple answers I do know.

(a) You should be quite comfortable on $100,000/yr for two people. My wife and I lived for 3 years on ~$30,000/yr and never felt like we lacked anything (we were also post-grad students and had fairly low requirements...probably would struggle to go back to that, now ). Cost of living should be significantly lower in Iowa City than in Toronto (I haven't found an exact comparison, but Iowa City should be similar to Minneapolis, and numbeo.com says Toronto is 10-50% more expensive for rent/food/entertainment/etc than Minneapolis).

(b) There really aren't any areas you need to worry about avoiding, especially in the price range you'd look at with a $100k salary. And the whole town is only about 5 miles from one end to the other, so location is not as critical large metros. There is a discussion of neighborhoods in this thread, as well as other threads, if you do some searching:

//www.city-data.com/forum/iowa/...iowa-city.html

It really comes down to whether you want a new construction or an older home, closer to the U or further out, and what kind of lot size you are looking for. Check out iowacityareamls.com and see what pops up in your price range.

(c) I would *assume* (i.e. don't take my word for it at all) that taxes will be lower in the states, but factor in fun, new experiences like paying for part of your healthcare insurance On the plus side, the U of Iowa has great insurance plans and benefits packages.

(d) Like I said, I've never been to Toronto, BUT...you would be moving from a metro of about 5,000,000 people to one with about 150,000. So expect some significant changes. Thanks to the university, Iowa City has great amount of culture and events going on for a city of its size. Google the Hancher Auditorium, Englert Theatre, or the Coralville Center for the Performing Arts for some ideas. Great restaurants throughout town, too (starter google list: Graze, One-Twenty-Six, Devotay, Thai Spice, Exotic India, 3 Samuri, Linn Street Cafe, Blackstone Grill, Pagliais Pizza). If you are into sports, its a college town so Hawkeye football rules the day, along with wrestling, basketball, etc. Very active community, so lots of opportunities for running, biking, frisbee golf, ultimate frisbee, and so on.

A great thing about Iowa City, is that all of this stuff is in a pretty small area without bad traffic, so you don't need to plan for 2 hours of travel to go out for dinner.

Hope that helps!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:44 AM

35,107 posts, read 42,186,800 times
Personally I would not live in Iowa City, I would pick a smaller town not far from I80 for the commute and go from there. I live in West Liberty which is 15 miles from Iowa City but the University is a bit further since it is closer to I80 than the part of Iowa City I drive into when I go to town. Overall I think Iowa City is easy to get around and you are not far from Coralville, the Amanas and the Outlet Mall if you want to do a bit of shopping. Good luck with the job.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:57 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,123,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Personally I would not live in Iowa City, I would pick a smaller town not far from I80 for the commute and go from there. I live in West Liberty which is 15 miles from Iowa City but the University is a bit further since it is closer to I80 than the part of Iowa City I drive into when I go to town. Overall I think Iowa City is easy to get around and you are not far from Coralville, the Amanas and the Outlet Mall if you want to do a bit of shopping. Good luck with the job.
Moving from Toronto (~4-5 million?) to Iowa City (~150,000) might be enough of a step. Making the jump to West Liberty (~3,000) might be a bit too much of a shock to the system

Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 AM

9,380 posts, read 10,050,705 times
Please check back in and give your thoughts on Iowa City when you get settled. It would be interesting to hear your opinions and experiences.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:52 AM

11,289 posts, read 23,021,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
Moving from Toronto (~4-5 million?) to Iowa City (~150,000) might be enough of a step. Making the jump to West Liberty (~3,000) might be a bit too much of a shock to the system
There's certainly nothing wrong with living in Iowa City or one of the towns attached (Coralville). I wouldn't take the step of moving even further out into a small town. It can also get annoying in winter if there's snow and you're coming 15KM into Iowa City.

Iowa City is a very nice area. The only reason I'm assuming that poster said to live outside of Iowa City is because some areas are full of young college students. If you aren't living in the immediate areas surrounding downtown and campus, you won't see that many students. East of Summit Street is pretty much all full-time residents and not crazy students.

Coralville is extremely nice as well. There are good neighborhoods that are fairly quiet north of the interstate 80.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,762 times
The only thing to add - I would look around before you decide on a place to live - maybe even rent for a short time. Iowa City has some very nice neighborhoods on both sides of the river, with beautiful old homes (and plenty of eclectic local restaurants/shops). Coralville has a few as well, but more development in recent years - with most restaurants /shops being of the chain variety. If you're wanting to be in a brand-new subdivision, then Coralville/North Liberty or very Eastern Iowa City would give you options. Good luck!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 PM

5 posts, read 9,707 times
Default moving to iowa city from Toronto

Hi all,

Thanks for all the helpful replies and they will help me in making the right decision.

The offer is $ 100,000 excluding benefits from University of Iowa.

I was wondering if anyone would send me the link to an Iowa income tax calculator. I would like to have an estimate of the actual take home pay. From what I have heard, the income tax could be lower than Ontario but I want to obtain some rough figures.

Secondly, can drivers with Ontario licence drive in Iowa without undergoing any driving tests?

I look forward to hear from you.

Thanks

Old 02-01-2012, 08:11 AM

3 posts, read 7,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajug View Post
Hi all,

Thanks for all the helpful replies and they will help me in making the right decision.

The offer is $ 100,000 excluding benefits from University of Iowa.

I was wondering if anyone would send me the link to an Iowa income tax calculator. I would like to have an estimate of the actual take home pay. From what I have heard, the income tax could be lower than Ontario but I want to obtain some rough figures.

Secondly, can drivers with Ontario licence drive in Iowa without undergoing any driving tests?

I look forward to hear from you.

Thanks
here is a link to the State of Iowa tax rate schedule:
http://www.iowa.gov/tax/forms/1178914.pdf

I'm not certain about the drivers license question... here is a link to the Iowa DMV offices - scroll down to find Iowa City. I would recommend calling them Iowa DMV Office Locations, Hours, Directions, Maps & Contact Info

Lastly, one additional consideration - if you're working at the U of Iowa, you may want to take the bus, bike, or walk... this will all influence your decision of where to buy/rent. You'll want to discuss these things with a realtor if you decide to move here. And several of us could give you referrals of a realtor too. Good luck!

Old 02-01-2012, 09:45 AM

11,289 posts, read 23,021,372 times
$100K before benefits will get you a nice house with a nice life in Iowa City. The avearge 2 person household in Iowa City makes around $62K. If you have a spouse that gets a job as well you would be making quite a bit above the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or