U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 PM

8 posts, read 32,844 times

Advertisements

We're a family of Indian origin living in the US for the past 12 years. I've a job offer close to Iowa City which I'm seriously considering. We'd prefer to live in IC as we are in our early 30's with a young kid and IC would offer some stuff to do. We're pretty outgoing and like to mingle with like minded people. Also besides the Indian/International students how large is the Indian/Asian population in Iowa City? Do IC elementary schools have student diversity?
We've lived in Ohio, the Southwest and the North East so getting used to a new place should hopefully not be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 06:18 PM

11,289 posts, read 23,012,785 times
The Iowa City schools are around 33% minority. Of that minority population, around 50% of them are black, 25% asian and 25% hispanic. It's of course different by school, but there's a fair amount of diversity around town. Still mostly white though.

I'm honestly not sure on the indian/asian population outside the U of Iowa. My parents neighborhood just north of town is heavily asian. Lots of the doctors and others who work at U of Iowa.

There are around 20,000 minorities total, with 7,000 being Asian.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:30 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,122,438 times
As Chicago60614 said, there are lots of Indians associated with the hospital and the U. I don't know much about the schools specifically, but for a small midwestern city, I think you'll find Iowa City has a pretty good-sized group of Indian/Asian kids.

There are three Indian restaurants in town, too, FWIW. Actually, 4 restaurants, if you count the little food counter in one of the markets.

Old 03-20-2012, 04:18 PM

Thanks Chicago and 1stPontiac! that's helpful info..
Chicago60614, the neighborhood north of town that you mentioned, is that Coralville? We'll look to buy either there or just north of south of the University. I personally love University Town's as they offer a distinctive flavor and youth. We'll look to rent for a while & then hopefully buy.
1. Also someone mentioned in one of the threads to avoid the area south of highway 6 due to high crime rate.
2. How are the areas south of the University? I'm talking about the neighborhood close to the IC municipal airport.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:04 PM

11,289 posts, read 23,012,785 times
Yes, my family lives in Coralville north of I-80 and east of 1st Avenue.

South of highway 6 doesn't exactly have HIGH crime, it just has more issues than the rest of the city. There's quite low crime everywhere in Iowa City compared to most cities in the country.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:02 AM

Yeah, its not like there is rampant violence anywhere in the city. The area thought of as "high crime" is over by Broadway, Hollywood Blvd, etc, just south of Highway 6. Personally, I'd also stay away from the area just east of downtown, since that is virtually all undergrad rental housing and tends to be rowdier than most families with kids will want to deal with.

I used to live in the area around Willow Creek Park, specifically on Westside Dr., and I'd definitely recommend that. The parks there are great for kids, and there are always people out in them, and its a quieter neighborhood filled with medical and law students, young families, and retirees. Plus, you've got fairly easy access out of town via Highway 218 and Highway 1. Last I knew, a 2-bedroom townhome in that area rented for ~$1,000/month.

Chicago60614's part of town is great, too. Lots of good places to live in Iowa City/Coralville.

Old 03-21-2012, 05:40 PM

Thanks both..
Also what type of snow do you get Iowa. I assume its the wet type that's typical of the North East (the type that gets to your bones)? Or is it the dry type that's more common in WY, CO and the Western states?
I'm not sure if dry/wet is the correct terminology but I hope you got my question.
Thanks a ton for helping!

Old 03-21-2012, 06:17 PM

586 posts, read 1,983,234 times
It depends quite a bit. Most of the snow is on the wet side, but the colder it gets, the drier the snow is.

It's the wind and long duration of winters (this winter obviously not included) that will get to you here, not the type or amount of snow.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:58 PM

Default Winter life in IC

thanks DMRyan.
a couple of more questions on how IC residents handle winter months..
1. Is IC downtown lively during winter? When I was in suburban Ohio everywhere used to be dead as a cemetery after 6PM. Everyone used to keep to their homes. I'm guessing in IC at least the students would be hanging out at restaurants and cafes. But do older folks hang outside?

2. Is it possible to make day trips to Chicago during winter? How's the Interstate condition? Again I have driven in the North-East during winters and unless its a blizzard roads used to be drivable. Is it the same in IC?

If we move to IC we'll definitely be making lots of trips to Chicago & maybe even Minnpls.

Old 03-26-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevector View Post
thanks DMRyan.
a couple of more questions on how IC residents handle winter months..
1. Is IC downtown lively during winter? When I was in suburban Ohio everywhere used to be dead as a cemetery after 6PM. Everyone used to keep to their homes. I'm guessing in IC at least the students would be hanging out at restaurants and cafes. But do older folks hang outside?

2. Is it possible to make day trips to Chicago during winter? How's the Interstate condition? Again I have driven in the North-East during winters and unless its a blizzard roads used to be drivable. Is it the same in IC?

If we move to IC we'll definitely be making lots of trips to Chicago & maybe even Minnpls.
1. Sure, with all the students it stays pretty busy. As it gets cold, people don't just hang out eating outside, obviously, but there are plenty of people going to and from restaurants and shops and classes.

2. Yes, of course. I-80 is a major trucking route heading out west, so it gets well taken care of. Obviously if there is a blizzard ongoing the road can be bad, but keep an eye on the forecast and don't head out for a drive on a day when 6" of snow is expected.

Honestly, winter in Iowa City is really not bad. It doesn't get below 10 degrees farenheit for long periods of time, and you only have snow on the ground for about a 3 month period. Most winters have at least a few warm stretches that melt all of the snow, too.

I'm a native (and current) Minnesotan, so maybe I have a little different view of hard winters, but even relative to the rest of Iowa, Iowa City winters are pretty mild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or