U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 03:50 PM

6 posts, read 6,706 times

Advertisements

I wasn't going to respond to this due to not having lived in the area long, but what the heck...here goes!
We just moved to the Marion area after living in the East Lansing area. I completely understand your thinking about Iowa City, I felt the exact same as you. We have a cat and ran into many walls looking for apartments in that area that were still in our budget. As much as I resisted we did end up finding a nice apartment complex in Marion. It's pretty quiet here and technically it's out in the country, yet I can get to most anything I need within just a few minutes, that's a huge change from Lansing! If you would like info on our apartment complex let me know, so far it has been great as far as apartments go (though an adjustment after owning our own home for 15 years).
I know you mentioned you are used to longer drives to get to work, as was I. But believe me, given the chance for a five minute drive to work and your wife will love it after she gets over the habit of leaving more than 30 minutes before she needs to be anywhere (I'm still getting used to that! LOL) Think of the gas you'll save! That alone thrills me to no end!
Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:33 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,544,044 times
I am unaware of any townhomes in the Kenwood Park area. I had to google it to see where it was. It is just part of NE Cedar Rapids. Mostly small houses. There are apartments along Oakland Rd, which google maps shows as the western boundary of Kenwood Park, but if you can afford $1200/month, you can find a nicer area to live in.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:36 PM

1,626 posts, read 2,317,035 times
I also think the Marion area would be a good place to rent. I think there should be small houses that would fit into your budget, in addition to many townhomes. Hiawatha has some nice pockets of neighborhoods with small houses, but some areas there are not so nice. The same with the Kenwood area.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:49 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,544,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
I also think the Marion area would be a good place to rent. I think there should be small houses that would fit into your budget, in addition to many townhomes. Hiawatha has some nice pockets of neighborhoods with small houses, but some areas there are not so nice. The same with the Kenwood area.
I agree.

Kenwood isn't a high crime area, as far as I know. If you are looking to rent a house and find one in Kenwood it may work for you. I just wouldn't live along Oakland Rd.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:37 PM

46 posts, read 112,747 times
What are your priorities?
Housing is cheaper in Marion/CR and commute would obviously be shorter living in Marion/CR.

Nightlife, culture, recreation, local restaurants, is MUCH better in IC.

Marion/CR is your typical suburban city-IC is a college town so you have more culture and local "flair" IMO.

The downtown scene in CR is NADA-IC is awesome. CR has been talking about working on the downtown area for years but hasn't done a thing about it. Even after the flood, CR has limited progress when it should be moving quickly to regain ground.

The typical commute from IC will be 30-35min. Yes, winter can be bad but at least I380 is plowed well. There will be days she will not want to drive it though because of risk.

So which is more important? Housing/commute or recreation/culture?

I've lived and worked in both. I'd choose IC hands down any day!

Old 09-04-2012, 08:13 AM

8 posts, read 29,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Lynn View Post
I wasn't going to respond to this due to not having lived in the area long, but what the heck...here goes!
We just moved to the Marion area after living in the East Lansing area. I completely understand your thinking about Iowa City, I felt the exact same as you. We have a cat and ran into many walls looking for apartments in that area that were still in our budget. As much as I resisted we did end up finding a nice apartment complex in Marion. It's pretty quiet here and technically it's out in the country, yet I can get to most anything I need within just a few minutes, that's a huge change from Lansing! If you would like info on our apartment complex let me know, so far it has been great as far as apartments go (though an adjustment after owning our own home for 15 years).
I know you mentioned you are used to longer drives to get to work, as was I. But believe me, given the chance for a five minute drive to work and your wife will love it after she gets over the habit of leaving more than 30 minutes before she needs to be anywhere (I'm still getting used to that! LOL) Think of the gas you'll save! That alone thrills me to no end!
Hope this helps!
Hi! We were just in EL this past weekend for the game! What is the name of the complex that you live in?
thanks!
josh

Old 09-04-2012, 03:39 PM

6 posts, read 6,706 times
Check your messages...

Old 09-19-2012, 12:11 AM

219 posts, read 379,623 times
I don't see a problem with the drive however, I live in Cincinnati my distance from my house to work is about the same distance as this travel might take you, but the problem with driving this distance in Iowa is that the drive is nothing but rural so the roads are not maintained as they would of been in the city. Thus, causing your travels in the winter months more complicated than they are here. All in all you should be fine when the weather is nice.

Old 09-19-2012, 10:36 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,501,420 times
Traffic is more light in Iowa compared to Michigan and other states. If you are bot sure about Marion you might like Cedar Hills, or depending on where you work North Liberty might be a better fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or