U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2012, 10:54 AM

4 posts, read 7,050 times

Advertisements

Can anybody give some advice on the best places to find winter clothing in Iowa City? It would also be nice to know how to dress a 3 year old and myself for winter in Iowa City. Thanks much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2012, 11:15 AM

708 posts, read 774,729 times
Are you coming from a warmer climate?

It is chilly today.

Most stores have winter clothing. JCPenney and Target would probably have plenty of winter clothes for a three year old. The stores at Coral Ridge Mall would probably provided you with everything you need, depending on your taste.

For the coldest days...pants, warm socks, shoes or boots that will protect your feet. A shirt, perhaps with a sweater you can take off if you like. You also need a winter coat.

If your three year old wants to play outside...winter boots, and snowpants, in addition to a winter coat. Hat and some mittens/gloves as well. Some people prefer ear muffs as opposed to a hat. A scarf/muffler is also nice to keep your neck warm on the coldest days.

If you are really cold blooded you can wear things like warm underwear or cuddle duds under your clothes.

For casual days a hoodie/sweatshirt can keep you warm.

Buy shoes/boots that look like they can handle getting wet from snow etc.

Old 10-18-2012, 11:51 AM

4 posts, read 7,050 times
Thank you and yes we are coming from a warm climate.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:03 PM

35,107 posts, read 42,178,836 times
Caribbeanheart, I've lived in Iowa and near Iowa City (about 15 miles away) for the last few years and I have found that layers is the best route to go. Even if it is cold in the morning it can warm up 40 degrees by afternoon so it is best to have something on that you can take part of it off if needed.

As far as winter goes, the usual, coat, hats, gloves, scarf if you like them, and a pair of winter boots. I also keep extra items in the car which I have done in the winter months for years anyway. I keep extra scarf, gloves, blanket, non perishable snacks, WD-40, winshield washer etc. Things like that just in case you do actually get stranded for some reason. Believe it or not I also keep an overnight bag and $100.00 cash in it just in case it is actually safer to get a cheap hotel room than travel. Keep in mind this is for longer distances only not just from home into Iowa City.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM

708 posts, read 774,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Caribbeanheart, I've lived in Iowa and near Iowa City (about 15 miles away) for the last few years and I have found that layers is the best route to go. Even if it is cold in the morning it can warm up 40 degrees by afternoon so it is best to have something on that you can take part of it off if needed.

As far as winter goes, the usual, coat, hats, gloves, scarf if you like them, and a pair of winter boots. I also keep extra items in the car which I have done in the winter months for years anyway. I keep extra scarf, gloves, blanket, non perishable snacks, WD-40, winshield washer etc. Things like that just in case you do actually get stranded for some reason. Believe it or not I also keep an overnight bag and $100.00 cash in it just in case it is actually safer to get a cheap hotel room than travel. Keep in mind this is for longer distances only not just from home into Iowa City.
These are good suggestions especially the layers, never know how high or low the heat might be turned up at any given place you work at/visit/etc.

For your three year old secondhand places like Stuff Etc. or Goodwill might have some good options. Kids grow quickly at that age, so sometimes they don't wear those items very long.

I'd go shopping for boots soon...those don't seem to get restocked once they sell out of a certain size.

Old 10-18-2012, 12:10 PM

35,107 posts, read 42,178,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy84 View Post
These are good suggestions especially the layers, never know how high or low the heat might be turned up at any given place you work at/visit/etc.

For your three year old secondhand places like Stuff Etc. or Goodwill might have some good options. Kids grow quickly at that age, so sometimes they don't wear those items very long.

I'd go shopping for boots soon...those don't seem to get restocked once they sell out of a certain size.

HAHA......the other reason for the layers is that nasty little issue called "Hot Flashes" and boy do they stink big time........LOL

Old 10-18-2012, 11:25 PM

78 posts, read 158,580 times
Ear muffs or some sort of headband thingee that covers the ears are a must if you or the 3 year old catch cold easily or develop ear infections easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or