Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2012, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,366 times

Advertisements

My landlord is telling me i can have anyone after 8pm until 8am or that my BF can't stay even for one night or my rent will increase by 100.00. Is this even legal????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 08:31 PM

99 posts, read 267,944 times
If it was in the lease you signed, then yes, it's legal.

A lot of student apartments have leases that rent by the bedroom and only allow one person to live there.

Old 07-01-2012, 01:36 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,772,005 times
That is odd, but I guess if it was in the lease you signed your landlord could probably make the argument if they felt it was necessary.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,424,641 times
I believe there is a tenants-rights organization (maybe through the law school?) around campus that might be able to give you a little free advice. Not allowing any guests at all, even staying only after 8pm, seems a little extreme.

The whole "if its in the lease, its legal" doesn't necessarily hold water, either. I'm pretty sure a lease that said "no black people can set foot in the door, only whites and Native Americans" would be illegal, even if you signed it.

Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stpontiac View Post
I'm pretty sure a lease that said "no black people can set foot in the door, only whites and Native Americans" would be illegal, even if you signed it.
That's because it would be discriminatory. I think a landlord has the right to restrict overnight guests so long as it applies to all overnight guests.

My guess is that people rent in your particular building specifically because they don't want the noise and commotion of people coming and going at all hours. The regulations aren't there specifically to prohibit you from having a good time, they're there to ensure that the other tenants aren't disturbed from their studies by your good time.

As to the extra charge for the boyfriend, I assume that rent in your building is charged based on occupancy and the landlord has chosen to take a hard line rather than make exceptions and then having to make sure that any exceptions made are applied equitably.

Bottom line, it sounds like you've found an appartment or room that caters to those who take their studies very seriously and want the least distraction possible when they are at home. There are plenty of places in Iowa City, if the rules don't suit you then go elsewhere. If you've already committed consider it a lesson learned and deal with it the best you can.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 PM

681 posts, read 3,035,890 times
I presume you're a UI student? Take these steps right away.

1. Get out your lease and read it word for word.

Does it specifically say that you can't have visitors after 8PM? Does it specifically say that your rent will increase by $100 if you have someone overnight? (If it does, and you signed it, you probably don't have much of a case.)

2. Call the UI Student Legal Services

Student Legal Services - Iowa Memorial Union - The University of Iowa

Explain your situation and make an appointment to see a lawyer. Take a copy of your lease. You'll find out one way or another whether you have any options.

Good luck. I hope that you'll come back and let us know how it goes!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 5,774 times
These items probably are in your lease. If there is a housing shortage (and what college town does not have one) and rentals are expensive, adding sub-lets (roommates) to reduce your cost by splitting expenses can be very popular. People sign a lease for a one-room apartment, then they add a bed-mate, a roommate in the living area, etc. It overcrowds the parking, bike storage, use of the dumpsters and water use for showers and toilet use. So it kinda makes sense the landlord wants payment for anyone living there and, more importantly, does not want to be left having to "prove" an additional person is bunking in. Restrictions on overnight guests is very common in "male only" or "female only" dorms to restrict co-ed co-habitation, so landlords adopt the same rules to limit people being added to a lease illegally. I expect you will find that you signed away the idea of overnight - or even just prime-time - guests when you signed your lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City