U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 06:08 PM

14 posts, read 91,083 times

Advertisements

The people are friendly, but the architecture is ugly, some sections (with off-campus student housing) are very seedy, there's homelessness, the health food store is filled with arrogant, holier-than-thou types, there are no decent restaurants.

I mistakenly thought Iowa City would be more "Mom and Pop" than it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 07:49 PM

681 posts, read 2,810,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post
...there are plenty of areas of Iowa City that I find quite ugly... described in words such as dirty, gritty, concrete, polluted (so many cars, parking lots) and industrial.
By this I assume you mean the whole city of Coralville?

Old 11-18-2007, 10:36 PM

1,744 posts, read 6,714,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxie View Post
the health food store is filled with arrogant, holier-than-thou types, .

Haha... I think that's everywhere though.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:15 PM

310 posts, read 1,181,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxie View Post
The people are friendly, but the architecture is ugly, some sections (with off-campus student housing) are very seedy, there's homelessness, the health food store is filled with arrogant, holier-than-thou types, there are no decent restaurants.

I mistakenly thought Iowa City would be more "Mom and Pop" than it is.

architecture is great now, becoming very modern. Seedy areas are in one area and you have to try to get to that area, theres no stumbling upon it. The Co-op is full of great people and there are a plethora or great restaurants. You must have mistakenly been in Cedar Rapids, that place is a ****hole for the most part.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:58 AM

358 posts, read 1,832,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpHawkeye View Post
By this I assume you mean the whole city of Coralville?
Haha, no, but I understand what you mean. Mainly I am thinking of southern Iowa City, the area just south of Burlington St and especially south of the RR tracks. Maybe I partially get an unfair impression because I haven't lived here long, and the tornado emptied out some of the lots south of Burlington. The majority of the land south of Burlington and west of Gilbert consists of parking lots. One block, IIRC, is completely empty - no parking, no nothing. Just dirt.

I haven't noticed any arrogance at the Co-Op... just helpful, friendly staff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPerkins33 View Post
You must have mistakenly been in Cedar Rapids, that place is a ****hole for the most part.
What is it about that city? When I go there, there is something very basic, that I cannot put my finger on, that I find really off-putting. Just the whole vibe of it. Maybe it's the smell. I was amazed at how bad that city smells in some areas.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:09 AM

11,289 posts, read 23,051,493 times
^ yeah, the stretch of highways 1 and 6 through southern Iowa City are definitely not attractive. That part of town always bothered me, and the southern stretches of Riverside and Gilbert. I mean they funtion fine, and aren't hell-holes, but not pretty. They could at least reconstruct the highway to make it a more urban road than a horribly unfriendly bypass type of road.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ yeah, the stretch of highways 1 and 6 through southern Iowa City are definitely not attractive. That part of town always bothered me, and the southern stretches of Riverside and Gilbert. I mean they funtion fine, and aren't hell-holes, but not pretty. They could at least reconstruct the highway to make it a more urban road than a horribly unfriendly bypass type of road.

yep exactly the area I was talking about. More specifically the south side of Broadway street. There are some nice places off of Sycamore though.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milliano View Post

What is it about that city? When I go there, there is something very basic, that I cannot put my finger on, that I find really off-putting. Just the whole vibe of it. Maybe it's the smell. I was amazed at how bad that city smells in some areas.

"City of 5 Smells"

I used to be a parts driver for a dealership here in IC and was in CR 2-3 times a day and not only are the people terrible drivers but the city itself is so poorly laid out. You have a street that gets cut off 12 times and each section of that street is not accessible by the previous section so you have to go around. It was a miserable experience to say the least.

Old 11-23-2007, 06:13 PM

166 posts, read 574,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChooch View Post
Can some of you tell me about this city? What's the architecture like? Are there are lot of trees and parks or is there a lot of concrete? Is there a central downtown where people eat at outdooor cafes and browse bookshops? Is it family friendly? Clean? I know nothing about this city other than it's a college town, has good schools and is progressive. Much thanks.
Iowa City is the only place in the entire state I would reccommend. It is family friendly - Iowa City has an AMAZING public school system. There are several neighborhoods to choose from - from those with history (100+ old homes) and those that are still popping up. Coralville has truly become something as well, although my heart is partial to Iowa City between the two. Downtown there is an auto free zone where you can take the kids, with a ped mall, playground, fountain, restaurants, library, mall, live music and arts festivals, and walking distance from parts of the campus. If you are moving to Iowa City, go for it. Don't reconsider and move somewhere nearby - like Cedar Rapids because it's SLIGHTLY more affordable. You would regret it once you arrived.

Good luck!

Old 11-23-2007, 06:17 PM

166 posts, read 574,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Rhino View Post
Haha... I think that's everywhere though.
Oh come on! The Co-op? It's filled with a lost slice of the sixties...the holier than thou types are thirty miles north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or