U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 12:42 AM

4,709 posts, read 6,343,914 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainswalker View Post
Avoid Cedar Rapids and the other large cities though.

Iowa doesn't have large cities that need to be avoided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 09:54 PM

158 posts, read 376,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
I grew up in that neighborhood, on Valley View Drive. I was just back driving around there last weekend. Certainly does have cheap houses and many of them are very well kept. Strange how you grow up somewhere when it was new 30 years ago and drive around now...wow. Some of the houses on the west side of Valley View Drive (it's a U shape basically connecting to Holiday Road) look pretty run down.

And to your other point, I was thinking of Boston Way, just got a little too general in my description I guess or was off a few streets.
Those are a little older compared to the new McMansions (I think that's the term, cookie-cutter overpriced things) that are lined up perfectly next to each other up and down hills in neighboring streets... all white and pretty and whatnot. A lot of the homeowners in the older duplexes that are selling seem to have updated their interiors. I wish I could see what the area was like 30 years ago!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
Iowa doesn't have large cities that need to be avoided.
This topic is about areas to avoid in the 5th largest city in Iowa, the first 4 are:
Des Moines at 206,688*
Cedar Rapids at 128,11*
Davenport at 101,363*
Sioux City at 82,719*

Then Iowa City at 70,133*
(*Provided by your friendly wikipedia.)
Sweetie, I grew up in a suburb of Chicago, I didn't know there was anything beyond the concrete landscapes until I met my husband and visited him here in Iowa. The cornfields were unreal to me. They may not be huge sprawling metropolises like Chicago, but they have plenty of culture and diversity, and the larger ones actually might have a crimerate you know? Not to MENTION the Chicago transplants which, are guess what? Moving in to Iowa City and it's sister city, Coralville. (I'm not a Projects transplant, I moved here for my Iowan husband and was employed before my move.) I don't know exactly how they're being encouraged to move, or which areas exactly. I'm not too familiar with section 8 housing, but I've heard horror stories from a coworker whose family runs a few complexes, a couple on Boston way actually too... I don't know that they're from Chicago, though when I lived in a different complex on Boston Way, there were oftentimes loud relatives with Bears stuff in the windows and Illinois plates....probably from the Chicago area.

Anyway. Most of what a non-landlord will deal with here is obnoxiously loud neighbors, possible theft, and vandalism. I've never had anything stolen or broken into, though. Cedar Rapids on the other hand, my husband had his car radio stolen his first week there.

Old 09-28-2013, 12:04 AM

4,709 posts, read 6,343,914 times
Little honey baby, anyone who feels the need to "avoid Cedar Rapids" due to crime is sheltered and boring.

Old 09-28-2013, 10:52 AM

158 posts, read 376,448 times
Quote:
Little honey baby, anyone who feels the need to "avoid Cedar Rapids" due to crime is sheltered and boring.
You've still yet to contribute useful information to this thread. Is your only reason for coming to this thread to point out unrelated things and twist people's words? At the very least, promote the cities you seem to be tender about, for whatever reason.

Once again, the thread is about areas to avoid that may be dangerous or high in crime... in Iowa City, not about the obvious culture it has, and wonderful shops, music, foods, which would draw you into the city into the first place.

Last edited by Plainswalker; 09-28-2013 at 11:57 AM..

Old 09-29-2013, 03:32 PM

78 posts, read 158,650 times
Quote:
Or just fed up of it in any form and has no wish to be on the ground floor of it...again. Bye!

Old 06-08-2014, 03:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,409 times
I lived in Iowa City for 2 years and currently reside in Coralville for 1 year. There is not much crime, the only crime I have seen or heard of since living here (I was born and raised from Chicago) are the young misguided teens in Pheasant Ridge apartments on the west side of Iowa City near Mormon Trek Blvd. If any one is specifically pointing out 21st Ave or 23rd Ave.,Broadway, Towncrest, etc... are only saying so because there are more black people living in that area. I dont sugar coat anything, I can only be as honest as I can be. Iowa City/Coralville Is a safe place to live. period. Never heard of car jackings, or many violent crimes other than Domestic's within household's and the arising crime in the Pheasant Ridge Apartment complexes. The best way to know if it's safe or not, is to live here. Many people have biased, bigoted, and inaccurate opinions about certain areas, only because they listen to other people bigoted, and biased opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or