U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 11:11 AM

1,627 posts, read 2,317,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDad View Post
Yes, the heat and humidity are pretty bad, but they aren't all the time. Peoples memories are playing pretty lose and fast with the truth. Average min temp for July is 64 right for the month right now, last year it was 70. So if that's the average...yeah it's not locked in the 80's peoples memories are.

Right now we're in the 90's with 70 degree dew point, but forecat hi for Saturday is 81...that's how it goes. August gets more humid, partly due to corn fields producing moisture.

It's up and down, just like the cold in the winter, but it definitely changes.

As for the air quality making it impossible to exercise... pfft, I'm not exactly joe fitness but I was out for a walk/Run last night, plenty warm and humid, but unless you're infirmed, certainly not impossible.

Feel free to PM if you want any info on IC. I was born in University Hospitals, and lived all but about a year here, but I've travelled pretty extensively so I have some perspective. Let me know if you have other IC questions, I'll try to give you a balanced response.
I was just out for a 45-minute walk during lunch break today (90 degrees, currently). Didn't break out in a sweat. A bit of a breeze so wasn't bad in my opinion. When I first moved here from the West coast, the humidity bothered me, but I've adjusted to it.

Last edited by smpliving; 07-17-2013 at 11:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 07:19 AM

3,449 posts, read 3,454,138 times
See NLDad's post here on the 16th for a very reasonable comment about what to expect with Iowa City/CR weather.
In particular he wrote about "..people's memories..". You see such writing in a lot of threads from sun belt locations such as in some current Phoenix threads where a number of posters have taken to rationalizing their recent horrible hot spell & concurrent Arizona fires by saying that it's still better than the heat & humidity found in the midwest & back east, as if the heat & humidity there were an omnipresent & unbearable factor every day.
A look at the current 10 day Iowa City forecast & July & June records which are all still available at the weather.com site shows how the conditions jump around a lot. Currently a heat wave has the area in it's grasp along with over half of the country but the conditions earlier this month were much better & over half of June was in the very comfortable range with some pretty chilly morning lows & highs recorded.
One thing to understand is that when a summer cool front comes through in Iowa, it brings with it a dry air mass & plunges the humidity levels down drastically. That's why they are called dry air masses. Plus, ad in a fresh breeze & you are all set for days of open window weather with no a/c needed. That's why from my far away location when I notice those summer fronts that make it into Iowa I experience a pang of jealousy. I lived there for 24 years & thus know very well the up and down unpredicable nature of an Iowa summer.
Similarly, snow birds will comment about the winter weather wherever they are & write as if the north is encased in a solid block of ice from November until April. So, both the heat & cold generalizations are absurd to the nth degree, as NLDad noted with his "memories".
The winter snow bird set can't help it really though I suppose. If any of you have spent time in a Fl., Az. or Ca. location during winter, you may have noticed that the television stations do their best to support their own weather conditions & make the snow birds happy they are there by highlighting the latest blizzard or ice storm that occurs elsewhere. It's like the stations are a component of the local chamber of commerce.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:31 PM

158 posts, read 376,683 times
I guess I don't adjust well, even growing up next to Chicago with all the 'lake effect' crap...

Weather's decent after the rain we had the other night. The 85+ weather is bearable this week.
That 100 degree 90% humidity stuff doesn't fly in my book. Last year we had a drought, this year the farmer's complain about too much rain... there is no telling what will happen in a weeks time.

Old 07-25-2013, 03:42 AM

1,627 posts, read 2,317,899 times
Yesterday when I took my usual walk at noon in downtown IC, the bank sign read 77 degrees. It definitely felt cooler than as of late, but I'm sure that will change soon.

Last edited by smpliving; 07-25-2013 at 04:14 AM..

Old 07-25-2013, 06:52 AM

How nice! And I see that the forecast for Iowa City has a couple of lows listed at 53 & 52 degrees coming up just around the corner.
Don't hog the cool air & move it east & south please!

Old 07-25-2013, 03:09 PM

11,289 posts, read 23,038,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbronemann83 View Post
I've lived in eastern Iowa my whole life and I will tell you that the humidity is horrible in the summer. In July and August for example-even at night, it rarely gets below 80 degrees at night and it's so miserably hot. I recall many years sitting at our local county fair around the 3rd week of July-at midnight-still sitting and sweating. If you are looking to get out of the humidity, you need to go west-Colorado or Montana as it is much drier heat. The midwest is pretty much all the same for humidity in the summer time unfortunately.
Huh? Has that actually ever happened outside of huge heatwaves? The average high is mid 80's and the average low is the mid 60's. Doing a quick search the last time the temp didn't drop below 80 at night was a low of 82 degrees on July 16th, 2006. Lows of 75 or more happen once or twice a year, but lows above 80 are only a once a decade or so happening. Normally it's low to upper 60's.

Old 07-27-2013, 12:44 PM

Your 3 pm temp of 65 degrees has a big time pang of my jealousy aimed at you today Iowa City. Put a blanket on the bed tonight for your low of 58! LOL!

Old 07-27-2013, 12:45 PM

Oops.. My mistake Iowa City. Your forecast for tonight is a low of 48!

Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 PM

179 posts, read 207,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
Oops.. My mistake Iowa City. Your forecast for tonight is a low of 48!
Yeah, it's been unseasonably cool and dry,a real joy the last couple of weeks, but I wouldn't hold that out as any kind of "normal" anymore than I would own up to lows "rarely getting below 80.

The best adage about Iowa weather (and I hear it about lots of other places as well) is if you don't like the weather, stick around for a couple hours.....

i recall a winter where for a week the temperature barely made it over 0, but that was like 30 years ago, and I bet it hasn't quite happened to that magnitude since. But it would be easy to say, Yup, that's what winter is always like and forget about the January day that hit the 40's...Yes, it gets miserably hot...sometimes, and bitterly cold, sometimes, overall it's pretty survivable.

I'd like to know if the OP made a visit, what they thought, how they landed on a decision.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:32 AM

17 posts, read 84,343 times
I am actually curious how cold it gets in Iowa City. I've lived near the Canadian border for a year and the winters there were extremely rough. I mean they would be in the negatives for almost a month straight and then on top of that we'd get snow almost daily. I was wondering what the winters were like in Iowa because people have told me they are bad, but coming from this background I am certainly a bit skeptical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or