U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 03:59 PM

20,793 posts, read 55,207,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by seyz View Post
I am actually curious how cold it gets in Iowa City. I've lived near the Canadian border for a year and the winters there were extremely rough. I mean they would be in the negatives for almost a month straight and then on top of that we'd get snow almost daily. I was wondering what the winters were like in Iowa because people have told me they are bad, but coming from this background I am certainly a bit skeptical.

Winters in Iowa are going to start a month+ later than you are used to, end a month or so earlier and be quite a bit warmer. You will see the occasional below zero temp but expect most days to be around 20+/- a few degrees. I think the average snowfall is around 40 inches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 04:24 PM

656 posts, read 958,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seyz View Post
I am actually curious how cold it gets in Iowa City. I've lived near the Canadian border for a year and the winters there were extremely rough. I mean they would be in the negatives for almost a month straight and then on top of that we'd get snow almost daily. I was wondering what the winters were like in Iowa because people have told me they are bad, but coming from this background I am certainly a bit skeptical.
Probably not as bad as where you were, but they can still get very intense. The wind can be murderous. When my wife and I were first together we lived in the area and one night we went out to eat at Jimmy's Brick Oven Cafe on Mormon Trek Blvd out on the edge of town. The wind chill that night was probably around 20 below (felt that way at least), and at least back then there wasn't much else around, so there was no protection whatsoever from the wind. Ever since then, when talking about temperatures, we use "Jimmy's Brick Oven cold" as a euphemism for "crazy f***ing cold".

Being Iowan, I was used to it, but my wife was a little traumatized. The point is that it all depends on what you're used to. If you handled the border, you can probably handle Iowa City. Just stay out of the wind if you can.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:53 PM

46 posts, read 112,636 times
I've lived in IA all my life and could tolerate the cold winters but hated the hot, humid, BUGGY summers. No, I don't think you ever get used them, you just tolerate them and b*tch about them less.
I moved to Seattle in early 2000 and thought I was in heaven with the temperate climate. It really does make one's life better I think!
Had to move back to IA for 4 yrs and moaned and groaned the whole time because the weather just plain sucks. Don't let anyone tell you different.
It's like walking into pea soup most of the summer while swatting at bugs the whole time. There is about 1 month in October that it is lovely and that's it!
Then you have the muddy or snowy winter and the newscasters like to scare the beejeezus out of everyone with impending snow storms!
Top it all off with tornado warnings and hail storms and did I mention the bugs?!
Now I live on the west coast and am soooo much happier.

You asked....

Old 08-09-2013, 08:02 AM

115 posts, read 139,126 times
Some good posts in here. For the person by the Canadian border? Was it near the border on a coast or inland? The canadian border on the coasts is gentler than Iowa winter, but the Canadian border inland (IE over Minnesota) is worse than Iowa's winter.

Reader, I can agree one hundred percent. Having lived on the coastal cities, the weather there is far better than Iowa City, but most people can't have it all You mentioned moving back for 4 years, did you escape again? Did you prepare your defenses so you won't get dragged back again?

Old 09-04-2013, 12:24 PM

123 posts, read 229,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plainswalker View Post
Iowa City humidity is comparable to taking a hot, wet comforter and wrapping it around your head, that's not including the bugs that come from the tasty tasty moist air. While most aren't big, there's a friggin' lot of em.
In the middle of 'bug season' I fought it impossible to ride a bicycle more than a mile without getting at least one bug in my eye. (without shades on obviously)

About winter, to me the biggest concern with winter there is ice. The temperature hovers around freezing for a lot of the winter.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:27 PM

59 posts, read 92,026 times
So is Madison, WI similar to Iowa City weather?

Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 PM

123 posts, read 229,966 times
I haven't lived in Madison but my understanding is that the climate is very similar, but Iowa City is a bit warmer. About 5F on average all year... and mid summer the humidity can mean a the heat index is 10F higher at times...
Tornadoes more of a significant threat in Eastern Iowa too.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:50 AM

59 posts, read 92,026 times
Thanks!

Old 04-24-2014, 05:28 PM

6 posts, read 7,026 times
Lived about 2 hours east and a little south of Iowa City. Summer at times was supremely toasty, winter at times severe, spring and autumn quite nice. Humidity was nothing compared to Cincinnati river valley, or worse, Saint Louis, which is one godforasken place.

Lived in Maine. Cold damp winters got old.

Lived in northern Minnesota. Lovely summers, avoid the hour before dusk and you don't get eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Spend some time in Iowa City. Summers are not nearly as humid as Saint Louis and Cincinnati. Certainly nothing like Galveston. And winters are mild compared to northern Minnesota and Maine.

Old 10-25-2014, 10:36 AM

9 posts, read 20,497 times
This is the OP's wife. Thank you all for your comments; it's been a while since my husband posted here but we're still interested in Iowa, either Iowa City or Cedar Rapids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLDad View Post
Yeah, it's been unseasonably cool and dry,a real joy the last couple of weeks, but I wouldn't hold that out as any kind of "normal" anymore than I would own up to lows "rarely getting below 80.

The best adage about Iowa weather (and I hear it about lots of other places as well) is if you don't like the weather, stick around for a couple hours.....

i recall a winter where for a week the temperature barely made it over 0, but that was like 30 years ago, and I bet it hasn't quite happened to that magnitude since. But it would be easy to say, Yup, that's what winter is always like and forget about the January day that hit the 40's...Yes, it gets miserably hot...sometimes, and bitterly cold, sometimes, overall it's pretty survivable.

I'd like to know if the OP made a visit, what they thought, how they landed on a decision.
Thank you for your posts NLDad, they seemed pretty reasonable and objective. We know that memories and expectations sometimes get the best of us both when we move away from a place and when we make plans to move somewhere. Right now we're trying to learn more to make an educated move one day and find the place for our family to settle and grow comfortably. We loved that about living in Wyoming and the weather there was something we liked, even with the harsh and long winters, but employment was limited being that the cities are so isolated and far from each other.

In response to your question, no, we have not visited Iowa City yet but we would very much love to go and see for ourselves what the area has to offer in every aspect. What drew us to Iowa City is my PhD program in Spanish Linguistics, that is not available at many universities; both my husband and I are teachers and finding a family friendly community where teachers are well paid and where I can attend school without a long commute (one of the problems we have in Houston) was also part of the formula. There are many aspects to consider and some are more factual than how we all perceive the weather, such as median income, employment opportunities, house rentals, etc. The weather, however, is something that we did not add to the equation when we moved to Houston because we had other priorities; seeing how it's annoying me (more than my husband, I admit), and seeing how Iowa offers my same degree, pays teachers as much as here and the cost of living is comparable to that of Houston, our eyes have turned to the area.

We will continue researching and reading what you have to say. We appreciate your answers!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or