Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 02:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,915 times

Advertisements

Daily in the winter, is that very hard? I don't know how the winters are, but heard that they can be very hard.
Can anyone tell me if it will be a good idea to drive that way everyday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 09:00 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,285,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch84 View Post
Daily in the winter, is that very hard? I don't know how the winters are, but heard that they can be very hard.

I wouldn't want to do it. Snow can often start without much warning and even a small amount can make the roads very slick. Driving a highway daily, most likely on the dark as it gets dark very early in the winter, is not something I would want to do. Its bad enough sometimes just making it home through town.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:53 AM

179 posts, read 247,885 times
I drove North Liberty to Cedar Rapids for a couple years, it's not so bad. There are definitely days you want to watch. The big problem is if I 380 gets backed up there are no places to get off and re-route. So, if you keep an eye on those days, consider alternate routing on 965 if it's the kind of a day 380 gets messy, or maybe wait until 10AM to make your commute (if you have flexibility_ then it can be very manageable. Also, if you're not used to winter driving, well, you either have to learn, or stay home, but the winter weather comes and goes, just like the summer weather.

Old 07-28-2013, 05:44 PM

46 posts, read 131,148 times
Tons of people take that commute daily year round. You definitely want to allow for more time in the winter if there is snow or will be snowing and watch the forecast if bad weather is expected. But if you drive carefully, it's fine. There are a few times each winter that they will close that stretch of 380 due to snow though.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:53 PM

389 posts, read 670,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch84 View Post
There are (on average) five or six days per year where the commute on I-380 between CR and IC would be painfully difficult. Those days mostly occur between December and February, although late November and early March can occasionally produce some nasty winter weather capable of shutting down highways.

If you're not used to driving in winter weather, you'll definitely need to make some adjustments to your driving habits. Sometimes, that means going 35 MPH on an interstate when everyone else is whizzing by at 60. I'd rather get there a half-hour late and save $5000 in automobile repairs than take my chances with the laws of physics.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:01 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,191,211 times
Completely agree with the last 3 posts. I take my employer's commuter van most days of the week from CR to IC, so don't have to hassle with the drive personally. The driver of the van has been doing this the past 24 years with no accidents, but you do need to go cautiously and slow in winter months. Sometimes when road conditions are really bad, it's just safer to stay home for the day.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:34 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
It's perfectly fine. There are tons of people (many thousands) who work/live in Cedar Rapids and drive back and forth to Iowa City every day. You could also live in Coralville or North Liberty if you want to cut down the commute, but it's only a 20 mile or so drive, takes around 25 minutes. They plow and take care of 380, so if it's bad enough you're not going to be able to take 380 - then you can assume no one else will probably be out taking any other roads either.

I mean from the north parts of Iowa City metro to the south airport area of Cedar Rapids is 10 miles. It's quick between the cities. I just wouldn't live in Southeast Iowa City and work in Northeast Cedar Rapids.

Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 PM

3 posts, read 5,450 times
I do it everyday. It can take longer in the winter, but is ok. There are some scary times, but I try to be very cautious.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:29 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,184,687 times
They really need to widen I-380. I remember driving on it all the time back in the late 80's going back and forth from IC to CR. The increase in traffic now astounds me when I go back and land at the CR airport. It's very annoying to have it 4 lanes and not 6.

Old 10-31-2013, 03:46 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,287,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
They really need to widen I-380. I remember driving on it all the time back in the late 80's going back and forth from IC to CR. The increase in traffic now astounds me when I go back and land at the CR airport. It's very annoying to have it 4 lanes and not 6.
There aren't enough people in all of Iowa to justify a 6 lane freeway...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City