U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:06 PM

166 posts, read 574,061 times

Advertisements

I went to Longfellow Elem. and then Horace Mann. I went to NW Jr. High before my family moved out of the area. I loved each of these schools and feel they all offered excellent education. Many of my friends went on to City High and loved it. I too am still friends with those I went to elementary school with, even having moved out of state at the age of 13! Iowa City, and it's school district, is a great place to be a part of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 03:36 PM

7 posts, read 28,934 times
I recently moved to Iowa City and I really like it here. We are looking to purchase a house here and I've been looking on the web site realtor.com You can put in whatever areas you desire, and your price range. The resulting listings include school district information.

Last edited by calbear; 01-30-2008 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: spelling errors

Old 01-30-2008, 04:35 PM

38 posts, read 118,383 times
Default Bay Area to Ia City?

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbear View Post
I recently moved to Iowa City and I really like it here. We are looking to purchase a house here and I've been looking on the web site realtor.com You can put in whatever areas you desire, and your price range. The resulting listings include school district information.
Calbear,

Did you happen to move from the SF Bay Area? I'm inferring from your calbear name... We are thinking of relocating to Iowa City with the kids from San Francisco, and wondering how it feels coming from the bigger cities. We've lived in NYC and SF, and we're looking for more space and home for the money; also, I'm from Iowa, originally, so we have some family connection. But still, it's been a while, and some compare Iowa City to Berkeley, but I'm curious how much that comparison really holds up? Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:21 PM

7 posts, read 28,934 times
Hello, Futurecitizen,

I moved here from St. Louis, although I did graduate from Cal and lived in the Bay Area for a number of years. I loved the Bay Area, I totally hated St. Louis and I love Iowa City. I think the comparison to Berkeley mostly holds up.

Iowa City is obviously a university town, and people here are well educated. Iowa City and Johnson Co. in general are fairly progressive, but without that edge of political correctness bordering on madness present at Berkeley. Being from Iowa, you already know that the weather here can be completely awful, and if there's one thing here that I'm not too pleased with it would be the winter weather. However, spring, summer and fall are lovely so I guess it balances out. This is a small town so there is no comparison with the incredible range of activities that are available in the SF Bay Area. But for a town this size there is a wide choice of shops and restaurants, the Iowa River is beautiful and there are lots of parks and recreational activities available. The schools here are excellent, and you can get a nice home with big backyard in a good school district for not a lot of money compared to CA prices. That's a factor not to be overlooked when you have children.

I think you'd enjoy it here, especially since you have a family connection to Iowa but I have to be honest and say that I still miss the Bay Area every single day. I have family there, and I would love to move back in 3 to 5 years. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurecitizen View Post
Calbear,

Did you happen to move from the SF Bay Area? I'm inferring from your calbear name... We are thinking of relocating to Iowa City with the kids from San Francisco, and wondering how it feels coming from the bigger cities. We've lived in NYC and SF, and we're looking for more space and home for the money; also, I'm from Iowa, originally, so we have some family connection. But still, it's been a while, and some compare Iowa City to Berkeley, but I'm curious how much that comparison really holds up? Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

Old 06-09-2008, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
yes i would like to ask about teh school earnest horn on 600 koser
if it is still there
i knew it when i was in iowa city and am interested in catherine de muth schilie she was alibrarian there ?? any help

Old 06-09-2008, 05:46 PM

14 posts, read 39,779 times
Default Moved here from Bay Area

I moved here from the Bay Area 2 years ago. I now live just off of Hwy 80 approx 25 min from Iowa City and 25 min from Davenport just outside a small town called Wilton. My husband was transfered here, but he also grew up in Iowa. I enjoy my trips to Iowa City and the Quad Cities. I especially enjoy Iowa City because of the diversity it offers. Is your husband also from Iowa? The main problem I have living here is the weather. I guess it's all what your used to. I grew up in Santa Clara so never experienced frost or humidity and high temps. I do enjoy the many ponds in our development. Our house sits on a pond that is 2.5 acres. We brought our kayaks with us so our kids enjoy the water in the summer and ice skating on the pond in the winter. Have you thought about building?? Please feel free to contact me.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:15 PM

114 posts, read 450,422 times
I actually recommend the Goosetown or Northside neighborhoods area. very est. homes very est. neighbors. A very est school. and a very eclectic range of house and people. House everything from $400k on down. name your price, there is a home in that neighbor. the mix of people is awesome. professors, working class and immigrants. also the school has kids ranging from UI Department Heads and Professors to those in the homeless shelter and every race possible. AND the kids all get along. I love this neighborhood and school. It is microcosm of Iowa City. And you couldn't ask for better neighbors.

I will warn you, you are going to get all kinds of comments. Like any larger cities, we are loyal to out 'hoods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or