Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 06:07 AM

75 posts, read 177,039 times

Advertisements

Hello.

Im getting a divorce and am moving out of the house we own. Iv been searching for a smaller house on the bus route for myself with a large garage for my hobbies and storage, but cant find anything. When I find a house which has a large 2+ garage, its always a large house big enough for a entire family..

So Iv been searching for small house on a corner/alley lot where I could build a large garage but see the price per square foot on existing is sometimes over what it costs to build new.

Is it worth building new in IC, and would a bachelor pad (1100 sq foot 2 bd 1 bath home with two deep, 2 car garage) be to specialized to sell easily in the future? I have another 15 years of working at the U of I before I retire and would want to sell and get out of IC at that point.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 04:36 PM

63 posts, read 124,377 times
I would say yes it would be very easy to sell with one condition. Location. Where it is located could make it a little more difficult to sell. But you could always look at becoming a landlord at that point. If it is in Iowa City, close to the U, near a bus route. I would totally go for it if you can afford it. Make sure all the figures will work for you so that you can make it work for you.
Best of luck!

Old 11-17-2013, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewahya View Post
I would say yes it would be very easy to sell with one condition. Location. Where it is located could make it a little more difficult to sell. But you could always look at becoming a landlord at that point. If it is in Iowa City, close to the U, near a bus route. I would totally go for it if you can afford it. Make sure all the figures will work for you so that you can make it work for you.
Best of luck!
Thanks lonewahya.. Practically forgot about this post.

The only lots close to a bus route are in coralville from what I can find.. $60k+ The city owns a few lots where the house was destroyed and owner abandoned. But I dont think building a $225K house in a $140k neighborhood would be a good choice.

Right now Im at the point I might write post cards to owners who have homes on corner/alley lots.. Then only to find she cant get a loan to buy my half of the house..

Old 11-17-2013, 09:49 PM

Hey, no worries. I understand about not building in that area. Have you looked at any pre-existing homes? I have seen a few zero lot homes that have 3 bedroom but deep garage space. I bought a house on the east side with a 4 bedroom two deep garage for less than you are quoting on building. Granted the house was built in 1976, but a quiet neighborhood and mature trees etc. Found it online. But I totally understand about wanting new construction as well. Just a thought...

Old 11-20-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewahya View Post
Hey, no worries. I understand about not building in that area. Have you looked at any pre-existing homes? I have seen a few zero lot homes that have 3 bedroom but deep garage space. I bought a house on the east side with a 4 bedroom two deep garage for less than you are quoting on building. Granted the house was built in 1976, but a quiet neighborhood and mature trees etc. Found it online. But I totally understand about wanting new construction as well. Just a thought...
Yes I just made a offer on a corner lot house across the highway from the Iowa city Kmart.
No zero lots would allow me to build a garage, which is the major hurdle Im facing and why I thought about new construction.
I'm looking at spending around $50k for a 1260 sq foot garage on the property I mentioned. That combined with the upgrades the house needs pushs the price up to $200k

Old 11-20-2013, 08:33 PM

That is about what I spent on my house. It has a double garage, but it is deep enough for a full size pick up plus a work bench and shelves on the back. I never thought I would have a garage that would have this much room.
Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
View detailed profiles of: