U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:18 AM

59 posts, read 92,073 times

Advertisements

Hello!! I will be moving to the Iowa City area in the next month as I got a job at the University of Iowa hospital. I am currently out of state. I will have 3 children coming with me, elementary school age. It looks like North Liberty is experiencing some growing pains, and the schools are a bit overcrowded..is this accurate? I see that they are proposing building new schools but just wanted to get peoples views on the schools in North Liberty vs. Iowa City. I will be renting and currently looking at 2 properties, one in Coralville (420 5th street, which would send my kids to Central Coralville elementary) and one in North Liberty.

Thanks for any input!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 04:21 PM

63 posts, read 108,507 times
Hi,
Most of North Liberty is considered in the Iowa City school system. Part of it is in the Clear Creek/Amana school district. Depending on where you live in North Liberty will depend on what school system you will be in. Now that is in North Liberty. The Iowa City system is over over crowded at the jr high/high school level depending on what school you would going to. North Liberty has several different elementary schools. Again depends on where you live as to what school you would be in. I would check out the Iowa City School website for exact details. Also check out the busing rules/regulations as well. (how far away you have to live to qualify for the bus to pick up kids)

Having said all that, the Univ schedule is pretty consistent with the school scheduling. (vacations/school breaks) are pretty much in line with each other.

My oldest has gone to the Jr high in north liberty as well as high school in iowa city.

Let me know if you need anything specifically and I will try to help.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 PM

Thanks so much!! Do you know anything about the College Community School district in Cedar Rapids area?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:06 PM

35,107 posts, read 42,208,410 times
Any city in Iowa and any other state is family friendly.
I don't know about the schools in the Iowa City/North Liberty area though, my children are grown and have their own children.
You might look at other surrounding areas as well, West Liberty is a small town and the schools are exceptional from what I understand. I have a friend who was one of the 2nd grade teachers for 25 years in West Liberty.
Depending on traffic you should have about a 20 - 30 minute commute into Iowa City to the University Hospital.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:00 PM

Only a little bit. Here is what I know, all of the school buildings are in one area. While the buildings are separate, they are all on one campus. So, if you had one in middle school (jr. high) and one in elementary, if you had to pick them up for any reason, you would drive to the same area. That makes it easy to schedule everyone for a dentist visit. Pick one up at one building, pick one up at another. My brother/sister in law have their kids in the district and like it. The kids seem to enjoy it as well. Their oldest is a jr. in high school and the youngest is in elementary. My sister in law likes it, for sporting events, because she pick everyone up and go to the event whether or not it is there. You can see part of the campus from the interstate. I have attended some sporting events at the school, and it seems to be a nice school/area. It is located on the very south side of Cedar Rapids, so keep that in mind about finding a place to live.
Hope this helps.

Old 11-20-2013, 04:33 PM

Thank you both!! Yes, I've heard that Iowa has some great people We are heading down tomorrow to check out about 3 properties...one that is in SW Cedar Rapids and its school district is in the College School district....

Again, thanks and looking forward to becoming Iowans!

Old 11-20-2013, 06:05 PM

Welcome to Iowa. As you will see, we have saved the best weather just for you!! I hope you find a great place to live. Iowa City/North Liberty is nice and my inlaws like the college comm school district. All the best to you and your family.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:46 AM

737 posts, read 1,643,706 times
Not to high-jack this thread, but I have an honest question about schools in the IC area. Are there any schools in the IC area that are actually 'bad'? Schools where children would not be safe? Where they would not get a decent education? I can understand some being better than others, but I would think that even the 'worst' public schools in IC would be better than what a lot of people coming from large urban areas are used to. Major cities have gun violence, dismal graduation and literacy rates, etc in their public schools and I just can't picture any school in IC being like that...

Old 11-21-2013, 11:40 AM

25 posts, read 35,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carshell View Post
Thank you both!! Yes, I've heard that Iowa has some great people We are heading down tomorrow to check out about 3 properties...one that is in SW Cedar Rapids and its school district is in the College School district....

Again, thanks and looking forward to becoming Iowans!
I live in SW Cedar Rapids and have students in CCSD. If you want to share the street or area you are looking at here, I can give you data on it.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:15 PM

@cristens- no, the schools aren't "bad" like most things, what you get out of them is what you put into it. Large schools have large school problems. You can't control everyone all the time. But at the same time large schools also allow a larger variety of options at the high school level. some of th elementary schools have a harder time because of "transient students"; kids whose parents do not live in the district very long. But my little ones will be going to ICCSD when they are old enough. And my oldest will be done with ICCSD in a few months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Iowa > Iowa City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or